• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gyms in prison

Some people are bad, and will always be like that. Some people like to think that people get rehabilitated in prisons but the vast majority do not.

Prison should scare people into not re-offending. I agree that they should be hell on earth. Capital punishment should never have been abolished.

I guess many will be upset with that, but that's my opinion.

Scaring people just doesn't work, plain and simple. Recidivism is high enough anyway. Rehabilitation is the key.

The correctional goals of the criminal justice system are retribution, restitution, incapacitation, rehabilitation and deterrence.
Retribution sees that the offender is sentenced to a form of harm that is of equal value to the original crime.
Restitution requires that the offender pay monetary compensation to their victim or the community.
Incapacitation restricts potential criminals by removing them from society, preventing them from offending.
Rehabilitation aims to change the criminals offending behaviour through the use of programs that denounce the use of drugs, alcohol and violence, partnered with training in skills to earn the offenders employment upon release.
Deterrence is designed to reduce the volume of illegal behaviour by making an example of a criminal. Today, that is simply sentencing a criminal to prison in the hope that it shows others who commit similar crimes, that when court they are faced with a similar fate.

Capital punishment costs more than life in prison.

I'm all for rehab, I just think there are more important issue to address

Prisoners should not be confused with law-abiding citizens.

Because they are in prison does not entitle them to living some sort of parallel life commensurate with someone on the outside.

They earned their way in.

If the criminal has a drug and/or alcohol problem(s), they need to be addressed right away.
If the inmate is spiritually bereft, that should be addressed too. If the inmate cannot read or write, that has to be fixed. All of those things are more pressing for a successful outcome then whether or not the inmate has access to weights.

Thanks for all your thoughts, I think prison should be a hell hole.

To me the number one aim of a prison should be to act as a deterrent to committing crime. They need to be absolute hellholes IMO so that the crims don't want to return and so that it's widely known how tough they are. I'd like to see Aussie prisons getting fearsome reputations like you hear about overseas.
Like the USA? or russia? These places have tougher prisons and just as much, if not more crime.
Did flogging and the stocks stop people committing crimes in times past? No.
It would be great if if did. But its not that simple.

I agree with Leachy.

Also, re the death penalty, that also hasnt worked in the past plus you run the risk of killing innocent people. Hundreds of people have been exonerated from death row in the USA and there are examples of people being found innocent after years in prison for crimes that would carry the death penalty it it were still in operation in Australia. Examples in WA alone- Andrew mallard, John Button.
A little to 'final' for my liking.

Good discussion guys.

Dicko, I was thinking more of the Indonesian and Thai prisons. I'd imagine the crime rates in those places would be comparatively reasonable, not certain though. It's quite cut and dried for me...if the prison isn't tough enough then the career criminals won't be sufficiently concerned about facing another stint. Aaron's comments about optimism are spot on.

To me the number one aim of a prison should be to act as a deterrent to committing crime. They need to be absolute hellholes IMO so that the crims don't want to return
Excellent plan. In this way we will take wussy criminals and make them tough and nasty criminals. We also ensure that when it looks like they might get caught, they are more likely to kill witnesses or police in order to escape prosecution.

The USA has harsh prison systems. They have a higher crime rate, too. They have capital punishment, and considerably more violent rapes, murders, and serial killers.

Likewise, their military is all about "what makes the grass grow? Blood! Blood! Blood!" and thus we get heaps of civilians being killed in war time, prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib, and so on.

Whatever the seppos do, we should do the opposite.

Here is some food for thought. I study this shit.

The social disadvantages that affect these individuals are unemployment and lack of money, which would push those affected to crime so they might afford everyday necessities. These underprivileged people who become entwined in the justice system have a myriad of rehabilitation options offered to them to help them with problems such as drug abuse, alcoholism, violence and anger management (Day, Davey, Howells, Heseltine, Sarre, 2004). The most important aim of these programs and the continuing rehabilitation of offenders is the protection of the community. Nearly all jurisdictions (each state has their own criminal justice system) have programs that aid violent and sexual offenders and attempt to reduce the risk of re-offending (Day, Davey, Howells, Heseltine, Sarre, 2004). Without these programs to help offenders who are at risk, it has been shown that re-offending is more than likely to occur, along with re-incarceration (Bonta, Andrew, 1998; Hollin, 2002). Without these programs, our prisons could become overpopulated and become a burden on the countries economy because it is the tax payers who foot the bill of keeping criminals inside prison. If these offenders can be rehabilitated and be educated it will lessen the pressure on society and the country as a whole. Considering that over 82,000 people received aid from correctional services in Australia throughout 2001, it shows how important rehabilitation programs are to reducing re-offending and helping those at risk of recidivism (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2002).

The majority of criminal behaviour perpetrated by adolescence is not of a serious nature, such as stealing from shops and residential homes (Hayes, Prenzler, 2009). Figures from the Australian Institute of Criminology for the years between 1995 and 2004 show that Australians between the ages of 15 and 19 make up the majority of convictions and the rates of offending for persons aged 25 years and older were lowest. In comparison to more serious crime, such as assault and robbery, adolescence aged 10 to 17 had a higher arrest rate for property crimes, motor vehicle theft. It is also recorded that all types of criminal offending declines during the mid-20s (Hayes, Prenzler, 2009). This evidence shows how the offenders learn the criminal behaviour and that the perpetrating of crime decreases during adulthood. This can be attributed to the offenders learning behaviour that does not result in criminal behaviour and surrounding themselves with people who refrain from criminal behaviour.

Criminal behaviour is more prevalent when an individual is unemployed, living in poverty or socially disadvantaged. Unemployment within Indigenous people in 2004-2005 (12.9 percent) was three times higher (4.4 percent) than that of non-Indigenous people (Hayes, Prenzler, 2009). In the same years the rate of assault causing hospitalisation was 17.3 times that of non-Indigenous people, and in the following year, the likelihood of Indigenous people being sentenced to prison was 12.9 times higher than non-Indigenous persons (Hayes, Prenzler, 2009). These figures show that even though the Indigenous population of Australia is just 2 percent, the crime rate is much higher because of the unemployment and social disadvantages within the community. The Indigenous people represented in these statistics have a high reliance on welfare and many have strained relations with authority, which highlights how social disadvantage and circumstances can lead to criminal behaviour but it is not only Indigenous people who are at risk of committing crimes when socially disadvantaged.

Individuals who are brought up around violence in the household or that are abused as children are more likely to be violent and have criminal tendencies as an adult because the violence learned as a child is seen as a common behaviour. 17.6 percent of males and 22.2 percent of females who had been subjected to violence in adulthood by their partner had experienced physical abuse during their childhood. 5 percent of males and 4 percent of females who experienced violence as a child did not experience violence from a partner, which shows the contrast between results. The evidence provided shows how being subjected to violence during childhood results in either being violent or experiencing further violence as an adult (Hayes, Prenzler, 2009).

Last edited:
We'll agree to disagree on the prison approach Kyle. One of the Yanks' biggest problems with crime is their stupid approach to gun access.

Work. You know that thing us non-criminals have to do EVERY FUCKING DAY just to get by?

They're already set up with jobs and work in prisons - manual labour like making licence plates. They could make bricks and tiles, as well as any number of things. Those items can then be sold to either cover costs or make a profit for the government. Failing that the items could be made available to needy people within the community.
In addition to the crims being kept busy and productive, if they learn actual trade skills then they're more likely to be able to integrate back into society and get a job.

I was a copper and I used to go into prisons on a weekly basis. They're no club med but the standard of living for many is ridiculously good. They have stores at which they can buy items with money they earn from work, spend hours each day in exercise yards and don't have to work if they don't want.

But i'll revise my opinion: Prison inmates should not have access to gyms, or the time to use them, unless they do a certain amount of work and pay for it- just like I have to.
spot on

To me the number one aim of a prison should be to act as a deterrent to committing crime. They need to be absolute hellholes IMO so that the crims don't want to return and so that it's widely known how tough they are. I'd like to see Aussie prisons getting fearsome reputations like you hear about overseas. This may actually help reduce crime incidents. Instead I've seen TV footage of cells with TV and Internet access. WTF?

I think the concept of them working towards a trade is worthwhile but it should be done on a limited basis....2 hours a day max and then lock them back up. Fuck letting them do weights. I'd be interested to hear about the re-offending rates for guys that get released. I've heard it's not an insignificant percentage. Why should we be letting these guys get stronger, more fearsome, and more capable of inflicting vicious assaults when they get out?

That's bullshit because it means bad shot still gets done but if cops turn up " fuck I'm not going to prison" * bang bang..

It's like how they wanted to crush cars for shit.. It just means people will go to extremes to avoid and evade police doing
More damage. If someones thinks there car is going to get crushed because they spin the lights off the wheels there is that instictual thought in their head to run the fuck away!

Last edited:
Great thread Andy.

Four pages and not one mention of the rights for the victims, you know, the girl that got raped, the baby that was bashed to death etc

Andy did say violent crimes

I dont have the answer, but I would hate to think of someone that committed a violent crime against a family member or friend doing lat pulldowns in jail.

It just doesnt seem right

I didn't see violent crimes mentioned. ( on phone) .. People go to jail for stupid shot these days.

But honestly most things I have seen or read have people saying if it keeps them octopuses and tires them out and has them doing something positive then it has to be better then them sittig in a cell resenting the world be ause they are there..

I don't know the right answer but I do believe that some times shot circumstances lead to people in bad situations and bad mistakes I do think that most deserve a second chance and some deserve not too..

Exercise is a positive thing, shouldn't more positive things be encouraged by people as opposed to negative things?

Great thread Andy.

Four pages and not one mention of the rights for the victims, you know, the girl that got raped, the baby that was bashed to death etc

Andy did say violent crimes

I dont have the answer, but I would hate to think of someone that committed a violent crime against a family member or friend doing lat pulldowns in jail.

It just doesnt seem right

Victims have no rights. The main aims and objectives of the criminal justice system rarely mention victims. Sad but true.

for these guys, barbells are definitely the answer. Olympic size, of course. Jammed up their arses each morning (no homo).

Markos, good reply. I feel the same.
There is a train of thought we will produce super criminals?
A plate or barbell, dumbbell could be used as a weapon? A wall can also be used as a pretty good weapon, ban walls?

Lets take a step back to reflect. Those inmates didn't end up there because they were out collecting donations for the Red Cross.

Good discussion guys.

I say get the 'Grade 1' Crimms.

Pack um up and send em to a 'special military' to fight
the 'Terrorist' <-- the "high risk area's". Iraq / Afghanistan.
Kill or be killed.

Done. Easy. Simple.

Devante.

Good discussion guys.

I say get the 'Grade 1' Crimms.

Pack um up and send em to a 'special military' to fight
the 'Terrorist' <-- the "high risk area's". Iraq / Afghanistan.
Kill or be killed.

Done. Easy. Simple.

Devante.

And then make a movie out of it!!!!!

Fucking epic. Gory as shit. God it'll be like Ceasar and the lions again. I'm fucken in.