• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gyms in prison

This thread is more about "how harsh should prisons be" and allowing prisoners to do weights is just one factor out of many. I don't see the problem with rewarding them for good behaviour and punishing them for bad behaviour - if weights can be used to achieve this for some prisoners then why not use it?

Better food, more out of cell time, internet access, longer visiting hours are all used as incentives, lifting weights is just another factor.

This is just my opinion, but it seems to me a lot of crims weren't good at school, and saw crime as the quick and easy way to achieve success, fame, money, respect, whatever. What a lot of them missed out on was having to work hard (mentally or physically) and reaping the rewards of that hard work.

Lifting weights is a good way to learn respect, dedication, discipline, effort etc and the rewards could go a long way towards rehabilitation.

Most violent crimes are done by testosterone laden adolescent men. These guys should not be given weight training options whilst incarcerated. If anything, they should be put on a fasting diet and forced to go to all sorts of anger management type programmes. For repeat offenders or extremely violent criminals either throw away the key or cut off their balls. They've lost all rights anyway by virtue of their actions and are no longer part of society but just an added cost the rest of us have to bear.

Cheers,
Mike

Most violent crimes are done by testosterone laden adolescent men. These guys should not be given weight training options whilst incarcerated. If anything, they should be put on a fasting diet and forced to go to all sorts of anger management type programmes. For repeat offenders or extremely violent criminals either throw away the key or cut off their balls. They've lost all rights anyway by virtue of their actions and are no longer part of society but just an added cost the rest of us have to bear.

Cheers,
Mike

Come on Mike get on my deathmatch tv show idea and let's make some money!

By it's very nature a prison is supposed to inflict punishment.

Rehab is important.

Hmmm possibly the violent should be seperated from the non
the non-violent shouldn't get a reward as such just because they didn't physically harm someone.
They caused a form of harm to someone or something by their actions.

This is such a non issue. Something like 30% of prisoners have a physical/cognitive disability, I can't even be bothered talking about their backgrounds. Once they're in they're in to stay for the most part, lifting weights doesn't change much.

hmm... opinions based on conjecture are always good.

after someone has finished working out would be a pretty good time to try and shiv them dont you reckon?

I worked in Yatla here in Adelaide for a while. I was in stores delivering all the shit to the kitchen, personal buys to each division and other stuff. They get anything they bloody want. I f they dont want to work in there they dont bloody have to, they can sit around watching tv, playing playstation, tennis, footy, weight training, boxing.
I believe they should be put on bloody chain gangs and made to fix and clean up roads, rivers and other infrastructure to pay their debt to society. To be honest, if someone raped, killed, robbed, carjacked your kids, mum, grandma friend or whatever, would anyone want to see them enjoying their life for the horrible shit they have done? Too many times has the justice system failed in this country and let this sort of scum back out onto the streets with little more than a slap on the back of the hand to continue how they lived before.
Google Arizonas tent city prison, this is how it should be done

I've had 3 of my ex friends go to jail, when I see them they still say hi to me and stuff...

They all served 6months I think in the jail near Olympic park, sydney... He goes to me "jail isn't what you think, you just go in there relax, have a good time, be nice to people and do your time, you do nothing at all"... I thought he was talking shit about it being fun though these comments here make me think it may be true lol... It may be like a Disney land in there...

They got 6 months for robbing a store with machetes I think...

There out now doing some other crimes like selling drugs, stealing etc.

Justice been served? :)

I've had 3 of my ex friends go to jail, when I see them they still say hi to me and stuff...

They all served 6months I think in the jail near Olympic park, sydney... He goes to me "jail isn't what you think, you just go in there relax, have a good time, be nice to people and do your time, you do nothing at all"... I thought he was talking shit about it being fun though these comments here make me think it may be true lol... It may be like a Disney land in there...

They got 6 months for robbing a store with machetes I think...

There out now doing some other crimes like selling drugs, stealing etc.

Justice been served? :)

not what i got told , a person has spent a few stints in the slammer , he had to spend 3 months in protective custody because another inmate wanted to kill for his shoes

he has told some stories that have scared the shit out of me , he said the worst was at night when it was quiet that is when the mind runs wild

not what i got told , a person has spent a few stints in the slammer , he had to spend 3 months in protective custody because another inmate wanted to kill for his shoes

he has told some stories that have scared the shit out of me , he said the worst was at night when it was quiet that is when the mind runs wild
It would be scary, it should be bloody scary, they are there for a reason. If they wanted to kill him for his shoes he should have stuck with the prison issued Dunlops

I work for LCCQ. It's interesting, one of the divisions is called Prision Ministries which is churchy people that do councilling and other stuff for the prisoners. I was a bit surprised one day when a global email got sent round asking for donations to provide shampoo or whatever for prisoners. I seriously thought to myself WTF.

Ive been to jail :) released after 67 days with no conviction recorded thanks to a good QC.

Went to Arthur Gorrie (Wacol) in Brisbane

The gym consisted of 5 rowing machines. A pull up bar. Dip bars. Leg rasing stands and a few bikes. In the actual cell block they all had dip bars and chin up bars along with a 1/2 basket ball court.

I was told by the prison guard that free weight haven't been used since (92) or something like that after someone got bludgeoned to death with one. Having said that two people were murdered while I was there and they were bludgeoned to death by a foot.... may as well have free weights.

Ive been to jail :) released after 67 days with no conviction recorded thanks to a good QC.

The gym consisted of 5 rowing machines. A pull up bar. Dip bars. Leg rasing stands and a few bikes. In the actual cell block they all had dip bars and chin up bars along with a 1/2 basket ball court.

I was told by the prison guard that free weight haven't been used since (92) or something like that after someone got bludgeoned to death with one. Having said that two people were murdered while I was there and they were bludgeoned to death by a foot.... may as well have free weights.
This is why I lol when people say prisons are "holiday camps" etc, yeah sure they have a TV, but then again you might get killed one day!!

What did one do to be sent to prison?

Long story short. Two people I went to school with years back moved to Toowoomba and were staying at my place. They did an armed robbery to which I didn't agree with and told them they were idiots. Police caught them at the scene.. they arrest me three days later as both of them have pinned me for helping them plan it (the words used were "mastermind it") biggest load of shit ever. I get charged with the same crime and sent to jail with no bail. My parents hired a good qc for my defense who got me out of there no convictions recorded.

Very, very bad experience.

One of the two became a Junkie the other completely turned his life around and I've now forgiven them both which took me years to do.