• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Going out

I still have the occasional drink. Nothing to excess but the odd beer or two for mates birthdays and special occaisons.

Spending $400 on alcohol is insane. If you want to alter your state of mind you can do much better than alchol with that budget!

I still have the occasional drink. Nothing to excess but the odd beer or two for mates birthdays and special occaisons.

Spending $400 on alcohol is insane. If you want to alter your state of mind you can do much better than alchol with that budget!

It isnt that much, considering in clubs a beer is something like $11 you don't get real far...

And I meant about $180 - $200 a night, and I used to get drunk every Friday and Saturday night so that's $400 just on alcohol let alone drunken eating, cab fares, club entry...

you'll be alright. just make sure to drink enough water and eat enough food. and dont go overboard with the drinking.

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

nice article you may like to read.

your not a professional body builder or have some competition on monday so enjoy yourself. the weight you lose is water weight and comes back on in a few normal days. i think its important to enjoy the social times, sometimes your body need to take a back seat. dont feel to guilty about it.

I can't wait to see what nOObs response is to that article haha!

:)

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein-1 concentrations in serum of normal subjects after alcohol ingestion: evidence for decreased IGF-1 bioavailability

When alcohol had been ingested, the serum ethanol concentration rose to a peak value of 28.6 ± 0.9 mmol/l (mean ± SEM). The serum IGF-1 level declined significantly toward the end of the 7-h period

Inhibition of muscle protein synthesis by alcohol is associated with modulation of eIF2B and eIF4E

Charles H. Lang, Duanqing Wu, Robert A. Frost, Leonard S. Jefferson, Scot R. Kimball, and Thomas C. Vary
Departments of Cellular and Molecular Physiology and Surgery, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033
The present study examined potential mechanisms for the inhibition of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after chronic alcohol consumption. Rats were maintained on an alcohol-containing diet for 14 wk; control animals were pair fed. Alcohol-induced myopathy was confirmed by a reduction in lean body mass as well as a decrease in the weight of the gastrocnemius and psoas muscles normalized for tibial length. No alcohol-induced decrease in total RNA content (an estimate of ribosomal RNA) was detected in any muscle examined, suggesting that alcohol reduced translational efficiency but not the capacity for protein synthesis. To identify mechanisms responsible for regulating translational efficiency, we analyzed several eukaryotic initiation factors (eIF). There was no difference in the muscle content of either total eIF2
alpha.gif
or the amount of eIF2
alpha.gif
in the phosphorylated form between alcohol-fed and control rats. Similarly, the relative amount of eIF2B
epsilon.gif
in muscle was also not different. In contrast, alcohol decreased eIF2B activity in psoas (fast-twitch) but not in soleus or heart (slow-twitch) muscles. Alcohol feeding also dramatically influenced the distribution of eIF4E in the gastrocnemius (fast-twitch) muscle. Compared with control values, muscle from alcohol-fed rats demonstrated 1) an increased binding of the translational repressor 4E-binding protein 1 (4E-BP1) with eIF4E, 2) a decrease in the phosphorylated
gamma.gif
-form of 4E-BP1, and 3) a decrease in eIF4G associated with eIF4E. In summary, these data suggest that chronic alcohol consumption impairs translation initiation in muscle by altering multiple regulatory sites, including eIF2B activity and eIF4E availability.
ethanol; peptide-chain initiation; translation initiation; eukaryotic initiation factors 2, 4E,

Alcohol myopathy: impairment of protein synthesis and translation initiation

alertIcon.gif

This article is not included in your organization's subscription. However, you may be able to access this article under your organization's agreement with Elsevier.

Charles H. Lang, , Scot R. Kimball, Robert A. Frost and Thomas C. Vary

Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology (H166), Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA

Received 25 September 2000;
accepted 10 November 2000
Available online 23 April 2001.

Abstract

Alcohol consumption leads to numerous morphological, biochemical and functional changes in skeletal and cardiac muscle. One such change observed in both tissues after either acute alcohol intoxication or chronic alcohol consumption is a characteristic decrease in the rate of protein synthesis. A decrease in translation efficiency appears to be responsible for at least part of the reduction. This review highlights advances in determining the molecular mechanisms by which alcohol impairs protein synthesis and places these observations in context of earlier studies on alcoholic myopathy. Both acute and chronic alcohol administration impairs translational control by modulating various aspects of peptide-chain initiation. Moreover, this alcohol-induced impairment in initiation is associated with a decreased availability of eukaryotic initiation factor (eIF) 4E in striated muscle, as evidenced by an increase in the amount of the inactive eIF4E·4E-BP1 complex and decrease in the active eIF4E·eIF4G complex. In contrast, alcohol does not produce consistent alterations in the control of translation initiation by the eIF2 system. The etiology of these changes remain unresolved. However, defects in the availability or effectiveness of various anabolic hormones, particularly insulin-like growth factor-I, are consistent with the alcohol-induced decrease in protein synthesis and translation initiation.

Author Keywords: Alcohol myopathy; Protein synthesis; eIF4E·eIF4G complex

It almost looks like the soy debate all over again...

I dont see him mention igf-1 on his website. A powerful anabolic hormone... He mentions testosterone decreases. I dont know how that is positive. He doesnt mention the effects of backlogging oestrogen.

He pin points some studies that shows increased insulin sensitivity.. Big woop take some chromium that will help.

But he is giving the people what he wants, and drawing attention to his website in the process.

I can show you a study that being a vegetarian makes you live longer, I dont anyone here would run out to jump on that bandwagon, however i can also show you being a omnivore leads to longer life spam...

So what one is it?

There are positives and negatives to all things. You have to take them into account. There is enough negative associated aspects of drinking alcohol. I dont really need some nutrition consultant website to be the defining point of what i do with my life..

What about protein synthesis? Strangely enough, the acute effects of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis in normal human subjects are non-existent in the scientific litterature

First define an normal human? And as posted above we have alot of animal studies.. Im fairly certain they have protein synthesis as well. In fact the majority of studies are done on animals as it is simply cheaper. That does not mean that these studies are useless or not relevent. Just means he doesnt want to post them.

vink%C3%A4llare.jpg

I personally dont want to look like this... Wonder what his lifts are..

Last edited:
Oh i just found this review from him...

Jack3d Review(Pre-workout/Fat loss)

I've been trying a wide range of pre-workout supplements but I've never found something worth recommending. Some like the extra pump from NO Xplode and similar nitric oxide based supps, I just don't any use for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Jack3d. Besides the usual ingredients present in many pre-workout supplements, such as caffeine, creatine, arginine and beta-alanine, it contains 1,3-Dimethylamylamine also known as geranamine. This is a potent stimulant (as far as legal alternatives goes) and this is what provides the oomph in this product. Apparently Geranamine is used as recreational drug in some circles and banned in a few countries. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see more countries banning it soon as everything that is mildly effective seems to get a ban sooner or later. Shortly after I wrote the supplements guide, Meltdown and Clenbutrx both got banned in Sweden.

Anyway, being somewhat resistant to stims, I started off with the maximum recommended dosage the first time (three scoops). After 5-10 minutes, I could tell that it was working as I got an intense urge to do the dishes. During training, I didn't notice anything out of the norm besides a somewhat uncomfortable back pump after squatting. After training, I had to wait two hours before my appetite returned. I never have problems eating after training, especially not after fasted training, but the thought of food made me queasy. I also noticed some slightly panicky feelings at that point, the kind where you want to crawl out of your own skin. Nothing serious, but for those sensitive to CNS stimulants or prone to anxiety attacks, I would not recommend starting off with the highest dose like I did. However, it seems tolerance develops and within a few days I could use the maximum recommended dosage without any side-effects. Unfortunately, the stimulant effect is also lessened.

In my experience, Jack3d is quite effective, but less so for the purpose it's advertised. I see it's use mainly as an appetite surpressant or stimulant, much like ephedrine. The mechanism by which Jack3d exerts its effect is also similar to ephedrine in that it increases epinephrine/adrenaline, which in turn boosts lipolysis and leads to that "focused" feeling. Or that urge to do something, anything.

Either way you want to use it, for a pre-workout or motivational boost, or appetite surpression, Jack3d works, which is why it ends up on my list of recommended, but certainly not essential, list of supplements.

By the way, I haven't found any studies to back the effectiveness of 1,3-dimethylamylamine for fat loss. If anyone knows of any human trials regarding its use for weight loss or improving cognition, alertness, or anything else for that matter, let me know. I always try to find some scientifical backing for the supplements I recommend but I'm at a loss for this one.

He also states..

However, alcohol also contributes to a healthier and disease-free life by protecting against Alzheimer's disease, metabolic syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, the common cold, different types of cancers, depression and many other Western diseases. The list goes on and on.

Now lets click on that study for say depression

CONCLUSIONS: Light-moderate and moderate drinkers had less depression in the presence of stress than persons in other more extreme drinking categories.

What was that?

He stated that alcohol protects against depression... And the study he used to reference that point proves him wrong. The people that drank more were more depressed? Logic? Although the light- moderate drinkers had less depression it was measured against heavy drinkers. So how he came to this conclusion of alcohol protecitng against depression is beyond me especially when alcohol is mentally addictive and a depressant.

Also inregards to other studies. I.e Cancer...

moderate alcohol consumption may be associated with decreased risk of RCC

Maybe and IS are 2 different things.

Wonder what other bullshit i can unwravel.

It is possible to only have a drink when you go out, it's all willpower to say no. If your dedicated to what you do then it shouldn't be too hard. Plus an occasional drink. I.e once a week (not binge drinking) or once every two weeks isn't too bad for you.

I used to drink most weekends and would get smashed. Since I have stopped drinking (12 months) I have lost 40kg, my strength has gone up big time and I have saved over $5000 which would normally have been spent on alcohol and drunken related things.

I don't regret giving up alcohol one bit.

Lift and be healthy or drink and be "average". Was an easy decision for me.

Oh and I don't understand people who say they need alcohol to have a good time and be sociable, that's just sad imo.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Its like people who need sugar in their coffee otherwise it tastes like shit...

News flash they dont like coffee and they need sugar to mask the taste.

Oh and the coffee is your friends and sugar is the alcohol for those people who are retarded.

Alcohol is a scurge on society.
Alcohol is a toxin.
Alcohol burns holes in wallets.
Alcohol serves no purpose.

I haven't had a drink in 17 years save for 1 or 2 occassions.

I will not let those occasions poison me again.

Alcohol is a scurge on society.
Alcohol is a toxin.
Alcohol burns holes in wallets.
Alcohol serves no purpose.

I haven't had a drink in 17 years save for 1 or 2 occassions.

I will not let those occasions poison me again.

But that article said it was beneficial to drink?

Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't live life by studies I live by what is, studies can be useful if done properly.
But looking at 1 aspect of peoples life and making a judgement on 1 thing as absolute is ridiculous.
Posted via Mobile Device

But that article said it was beneficial to drink?

Haha
Posted via Mobile Device
I can show you a million articles that say it is not benefiaial to drink.
Alcohol by definition is classed as a toxin.
Toxins are poisonous. Why would anyone knowingly drink a poison?:eek:

Lol , his website is like Swiss cheese...

But people will google and find an excuse to want to get pissed gives him publicity I'm the process..

There are too many factors with alcohol to simply say get pissed and live longer.. The negatives far out weigh the positive. Smoking has a positive on certain disease conditions one being ulcerative colitis. However I don't see people being told to start smoking for this reason, why would drinking ethanol be any different in terms of longevity..

Slot of things can make you live longer yet I don't see anyone rushing out to do them. People like to find excuses for their habits.
Posted via Mobile Device

best place to argue pro-drinking is this forum hehehe

I don't drink often these days, but I like 2-4 beers when I do. I used to burn through the bags and beers every wknd. Don't know how I afforded it now to be honest.

Much more focused on training and work. I can see the difference in performance and brain function/thought process now that I basically don't drink. But body composition - It's had no influence on. Probably starts to take a toll the older you get, but at 25 I haven't noticed any difference.

haha i know where your coming from bro, love going out and gettin hammerd but definately noticed it effects my growth so gunna go without alcohol until foreshore in november and hopefully get ripped up for it haha, just gotta keep motivated and take pre workouts insted to get jumpin xD