• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Going out

TheGiftToLift

Every once in a while, we all have one of those weekends where you've got about 5 events on. All involving alcohol...

So for starters - I am going out tonight. Would I be right in thinking that going light at the gym this arvo is a good idea? As not to require quite so much recovery but also maintain stimulus to my hard earned beef over the w/end. or is it better to simply not go to the gym at all? or go with normal intensity?

I have recently put on about 3kgs of muscle and would hate to see any of it go.

Saturday my mates playing finals footy, so prob go out celebrating if they win. Sunday I am going to a music festival... so again a few brewskies down the hatch. Obviously I will try to keep my water and calories up... is there anything else you can do to try to combat muscle wasting when your getting wasted?

You could not drink...

Effect of Alcohol on Sleep and Nighttime Plasma Growth Hormone and Cortisol Concentrations
PATRICIA N. PRINZ, TIMOTHY A. ROEHRS, PETER P. VITALIANO, MARKKU LINNOILA and ELLIOT D. WEITZMAN
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 51, No. 4 759-764
doi:10.1210/jcem-51-4-759

Alcohol significantly suppressed plasma GH values (70–75%) on acute and chronic nights. All measures of GH, including total integral for bedtime hours, mean hourly rate, and peak level, were similarly affected by alcohol.

Alcohol blocks the ability of IGF-1 to induce the release of LH in prepubertal female rats
Rats were administered either a single dose of alcohol or a corresponding amount of alcohol-free salt solution (i.e., saline) immediately following determination of their baseline LH levels. Blood was sampled again after 90 minutes, before IGF-1 was injected directly into the brain in the region of the hypothalamus of each rat. Levels of LH decreased in the alcohol-fed rats and failed to increase in response to IGF-1 injection, potentially suppressing LH-induced ovulation.

“Why take something the body doesn’t need right now?”

Last edited:
I like nachos for dinner everyday and sitting on my arse playing ps3.

But i dont want to be fat...

:p

Then quit weight lifting and drink... Priorities... Either that or sit on the fence and do both but don't expect the same gains, health, recovery and sympathy from noobs ;)

I love my alcohol man, though I realized I had a fatty liver and as soon as I gave up drinking I was some what more consistent in the gym... I have been alcohol free for 7 weeks (new record) and don't plan to drink until November 29th...

I save 350 bux a weekn on alcohol and on top of that it helps my muscle gains...

Can't complain.

I'm going to a Hotel party tonight, looks like I'm in for another weekendnof pretending I'm drunk lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I save 350 bux a weekn on alcohol and on top of that it helps my muscle gains...

Posted via Mobile Device

That's alot of money on alcohol !!!

I haven't had a drink all year.
Was never a regular drinker, but when I do drink, I like to have a few.
Last new years I got the worst headache which lasted a few days, just felt like sh it.
So, I said to myself I'll go the whole year without a drink.
So far have not had a single drop.

May break it a bit early and have one around Christmas time.

When I drink I drink a lot. Like 20+ standards easy. I would definately spend $400 a week on alochol. That said, I always... ALWAYS drop about 1-2 kilos over the weekend and then try to regain it during the week.

Not drinking is easier said than done... but I will try to stay below a six pack.

For those who are like me and must drink to be social... here are some steps to take which may help:

1.) workout before hand, but go lighter than usual. Working out will help burn off the extra fat you will store due to alcohol messing with your metabolism

2.) drink loads of water before during and after. Especially before bed. Gatorade in the morning with a berocca in it helps too.

3.) coat your stomach with protein and eat some fibre rich foods before hand. This will help with elimination the following day...

4.) go for low carb options... red wine, lo-carb beer, soda water (no sugary mixers)

Going out and drinking also has other expenses like club entry (few clubs is 60bux easy), taxi home ($60 bux)...

Going out isn't cheap...

Also avoid foods high in fat when you drink, as alcohol effects the gal bladder which in turn cant produce bile for digestion which is why most people get Diarrhea the day after from the midnight snack of McDonald's, kebabs, pizza etc.

**** drinking, lol this November when I drink I'm just drinking straight home brewed (Rakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) low calories ;) lol...

It isnt the claories i would be concearned with. Its the **** around with p450 liver detoxification pathways.

When I drink I drink a lot. Like 20+ standards easy. I would definately spend $400 a week on alochol. That said, I always... ALWAYS drop about 1-2 kilos over the weekend and then try to regain it during the week.

Not drinking is easier said than done... but I will try to stay below a six pack.

For those who are like me and must drink to be social... here are some steps to take which may help:

1.) workout before hand, but go lighter than usual. Working out will help burn off the extra fat you will store due to alcohol messing with your metabolism

2.) drink loads of water before during and after. Especially before bed. Gatorade in the morning with a berocca in it helps too.

3.) coat your stomach with protein and eat some fibre rich foods before hand. This will help with elimination the following day...

4.) go for low carb options... red wine, lo-carb beer, soda water (no sugary mixers)

Trust me you don't have to drink "socially" drinking is drinking... I used to say I only have a few, but them few will make you drink another few, which then them few will make you drink a few more and before you know it you wake up in a gutter...

Well that's how it was for me anyways...

I used to go out and drink (about 4 standard drinks) and my strength on Monday would be weak as ****!

Your last meal would be around 9pm

Go out and hit the club at about 10-11pm

Leave at 4am

And you have only fed your body toxins and water for 7hours?

That's what made me wake up lol :)

Trust me you don't have to drink "socially" drinking is drinking... I used to say I only have a few, but them few will make you drink another few, which then them few will make you drink a few more and before you know it you wake up in a gutter...

Well that's how it was for me anyways...

I used to go out and drink (about 4 standard drinks) and my strength on Monday would be weak as ****!

Your last meal would be around 9pm

Go out and hit the club at about 10-11pm

Leave at 4am

And you have only fed your body toxins and water for 7hours?

and then you don't wake up till 1pm, don't eat sh*t because you want to die. Go to a cafe and eat half a big breakfast. Go back to bed, then wake up three days later with a wedding band and a wife named Lafonda.

Lafonda_int1b.jpg

I heard anything over 4 drinks throws your strength and recovery out for a fortnight
Posted via Mobile Device

you'll be alright. just make sure to drink enough water and eat enough food. and dont go overboard with the drinking.

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

nice article you may like to read.

your not a professional body builder or have some competition on monday so enjoy yourself. the weight you lose is water weight and comes back on in a few normal days. i think its important to enjoy the social times, sometimes your body need to take a back seat. dont feel to guilty about it.