• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front Squats: Barbell vs. Kettlebell.

They're in my program, I did skip them last time but can't avoid them forever. :(

I thinks it safer to say KB front squats have their place but not for what I need to do.

They're in my program, I did skip them last time but can't avoid them forever. :(

I thinks it safer to say KB front squats have their place but not for what I need to do.

Run the program over with trent? as long as you've got some hardcore hamstring work your squat will go up. Alternatively you could just squat with a lighter weight (say 80% of your work set).

Whoever gives you a programme should give you instruction in the lifts in that programme. If you're at a distance, go visit.

Alternately, make a list of all the lifts you're confident doing, submit that to your guy, and have him make a programme out of just those lifts.

Whoever gives you a programme should give you instruction in the lifts in that programme. If you're at a distance, go visit.

Alternately, make a list of all the lifts you're confident doing, submit that to your guy, and have him make a programme out of just those lifts.

Its distance unfortunately and its gonna be a while till I get in next! Lol

Edit: previously only did them in crossfit which was the usual "front squat with a press", bad habits have just contributed to poor mobility in all muscle groups, gotta reverse alot of bad habits! Lol

Last edited:
Run the program over with trent? as long as you've got some hardcore hamstring work your squat will go up. Alternatively you could just squat with a lighter weight (say 80% of your work set).

Won't get there for a few weeks to just over a month unfortunately. :(

I'm guessing you probably do have the mobility to do BB FSQ. I've yet to see a woman who didn't. Plenty of blokes can't do it, shoulders locked up like Milton the Monster, too being bent over much masturbating playing World of Warcraft or something.

Surely there is someone nearby who could show you BB FSQ. You're in the Illawarra, not some blighted wasteland like Perth.

Otherwise get him to change your programme.

I'm guessing you probably do have the mobility to do BB FSQ. I've yet to see a woman who didn't. Plenty of blokes can't do it, shoulders locked up like Milton the Monster, too being bent over much masturbating playing World of Warcraft or something.

Surely there is someone nearby who could show you BB FSQ. You're in the Illawarra, not some blighted wasteland like Perth.

Otherwise get him to change your programme.

Lol!
I'll have a play around and report back, vid and pics of bar placement when I attempt these! Its probably just some adjustment. I did get some good stretches from mobility WOD but I'm not sure if my shoulder issues have anything to do with it (scapulas angle out? Or Something to do with my upper back being too strong for my chest?)

How to make a trent trap:
(1) Pick the highest calorie meal you can find at nandos, oporto or mcdonalds. Put it on the pavement.
(2) Put a box over the food
(3) Prop up the box on one side with a piece of wood attached to a string. Hide behind a bush with said string.
(4) When you hear a rustling from inside of the box, pull the string hard.

Foolproof.

Didn't see anyone mention this, but a bb front squat forces you to maintain a significantly more upright position compared to a kb squat.

Also there is a the slight difference in leverage. The weight in a kb front squat is centred in front and just below the shoulders depending on how high you rack them. A bb front squat the weight should be on your front delts and more centred laterally rather than in front.

If you cannot rack the bar with a clean grip I would suggest trying the crossed arm method (as suggested) or alternatively, put some wrist wraps around the bar and hold onto those instead of the bar itself (like this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb0OZCtqBk]Strapped Front Squats - YouTube[/ame])

Didn't see anyone mention this, but a bb front squat forces you to maintain a significantly more upright position compared to a kb squat.

Also there is a the slight difference in leverage. The weight in a kb front squat is centred in front and just below the shoulders depending on how high you rack them. A bb front squat the weight should be on your front delts and more centred laterally rather than in front.

I didn't think anyone was gonna get to this when reading through this thread!

The leverage factor is the main thing that affects these two exercises from a mechanical viewpoint. Then you have to take into consideration if you have the adequate mobility/stability in the wrists to be able to handle either exercise.

A few more variants for you that don't involve a barbell but some do have to be clean+pressed overhead

-Goblet squat with DB's or Kettlebells
-Waiter squat
-Waiter squat with contralateal load
-Heartbeat squat

Goblets are probably the easiest to progress with because you can use DB's which have smaller increments so progressions arent so bad. I thing the Youtubes should have vids explaining these so have fun =)

If wrist flexibility is an issue for you, I'd actually consider subbing them out for zercher squats.

wrist wrap seems like a good idea. I can hold the normal front squat position but because of shoulder injury something funny happens when I get to the bottom and I can feel some weird tendon/ligament movement? So I'd been doing them with crossed arms which was absolutely crushing my thumbs into collar bone.

I'm going to play around tomorrow when I go in an see Trent. Hopefully a technique adjustment.
Would love to be able to do heavier overhead squats with snatch grip.
Might have to learn to snatch......

wrist wrap seems like a good idea. I can hold the normal front squat position but because of shoulder injury something funny happens when I get to the bottom and I can feel some weird tendon/ligament movement? So I'd been doing them with crossed arms which was absolutely crushing my thumbs into collar bone.

lol don't put your thumbs under the bar!!!! first thing my trainer told me before I crushed my digits....

:)

I'm going to play around tomorrow when I go in an see Trent. Hopefully a technique adjustment.
Would love to be able to do heavier overhead squats with snatch grip.
Might have to learn to snatch......

You didnt do overhead squats / snatches at CF? When i did CF, one of the coaches there had a gold medal in weightlifting so taught me cleans/snatches. I began to love o-lifts!

You didnt do overhead squats / snatches at CF? When i did CF, one of the coaches there had a gold medal in weightlifting so taught me cleans/snatches. I began to love o-lifts!

I used to clean the bar then press to get bar i to position for OH squat.
Did tonnes of overhead squats but I stopped due to body shoulder. These used to kill my quads and lower ABS!
My trainer wasn't an Olympic lifter lol!! We did ALOT of clean and press. Never did snatches.
Might hit Moons up for a snatch tips or when he's running and oly workshop next.