• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front Squats: Barbell vs. Kettlebell.

kaz

iLift
I have always struggled with Front squat "lack of" mobility in the shoulders and wrists, so instead of using a barbell, I had to use Kettlebells as demonstrated in the below video (Crossfit days), are KB Front squats any different to BB squats?
[YOUTUBE]NQgcit05dFs[/YOUTUBE]

great question, Kaz.

I've wondered this myself.

I do lots of dble KB squats and if I do a BB front squat, I have to use a cross over grip for my wrist.

might ask Anna at bootcamp tomorrow too. she should know.

Thanks Viv :)
I can get my arms into press position with a BB but I can't get my elbows pointing forward. I'm too tight through my back and shoulders.
I've never thought to try the cross over position.

For me (and this is just me), if I had to choose, I would use d/bell squats over KB. No need to power clean anything, just grab and go....if in need of more ankle flexibility, then simply place a 5kg plate under your heels. Also, never shy away from using straps whist performing d/bell squats. By the way, you may find the positioning of the d/bells by your side to be comfortable due to its neutrality. Not back, and not front......this reminds me of that saying: “don’t walk in front, behind, walk beside me and be my friend", or something to that effect.

Fadi.

If the kettlebell and your body follows the same path as during a barbell front squat the result for your legs should be the same.

The difference I see is potential extra work on arms to stabilise kettlebells, rather than catching the weight on your shoulders and chest as in the bb front squat

great insight, Fadi .. where have you been????????????????

when doing the KB squats though, I don't clean them first, just grab and go like DBs but it depends on the weight too, to get them into the right position.

BigD makes a great point too....I always thought of the kb ones as being more like a goblet squat in terms of how it works legs and glutes but in fact, it probably is more like a front squat.

looking forward to the form vid Deep!

I'll also ask Anna ... she's a KB expert and a whizz with the front squat so maybe she knows ...

I do them with 2 x 24kg KB's, I could clean these but safer I don't, I reckon I would smash my wrists! Anything lower I'd clean.

I do them with 2 x 24kg KB's, I could clean these but safer I don't, I reckon I would smash my wrists! Anything lower I'd clean.

hmmm yep, that's my feeling about them too ... having already smashed one wrist. I'm now stuck on cross over grip for front squats when I do them again, if soon.

hmmm yep, that's my feeling about them too ... having already smashed one wrist. I'm now stuck on cross over grip for front squats when I do them again, if soon.

I'm liking this cross over grip. The grip is what is stopping me progressing.
Damn mobility! Lol

I'm liking this cross over grip. The grip is what is stopping me progressing.
Damn mobility! Lol

It's a standard substitute if you have pain or mobility issues etc. I started using it because I'd already trashed my wrist so couldn't flex it and hold the bar without aggravating it and causing pain.

I think Kettlebell front squats introduce grip and arm strength as more of a potential weak point, however I've never really trained myself with DB/KB front squats so I can't say with absolute certainty.

BB front squats challenge shoulder and wrist mobility.
KB front squats challenge shoulder and wrist stability.

Both are useful things to have.

KB can be difficult to progress on, since after 16kg they are usually only available in 4kg jumps, so your doubles will be 8kg's difference. Imagine having to progress BB front squats in lots of 8kg only. However if you are working out for general health, some everyday strength and joint mobility, that won't matter, you'll be happy at some particular weight.

Weight is weight, I would've thought. It's like the difference between oly-style front squats and crossover. IOW, not much, I would think (in terms of building strength / muscle, anyway).

BB front squats challenge shoulder and wrist mobility.
KB front squats challenge shoulder and wrist stability.

Both are useful things to have.

KB can be difficult to progress on, since after 16kg they are usually only available in 4kg jumps, so your doubles will be 8kg's difference. Imagine having to progress BB front squats in lots of 8kg only. However if you are working out for general health, some everyday strength and joint mobility, that won't matter, you'll be happy at some particular weight.

I can see the progression part being an issue, thanks for your input, I'm working from 48kgs up to 72kgs over 11 weeks.
I'm thinking while I sort my mobility to stick to the crossover style with a BB choc chilli was mentioning earlier.

Kyle's right. If you do 3x8 with the 20s and next time use 24s you've made an 8kg increase which is an enormous jump in weights. the higher the kettle bells get the bigger the jumps.

Karen I've seen you IRL and I don't think you're too inflexible to front squat. As trent will tell you, front squatting is going to be much easier in a weightlifting shoe because it will give you that extra ankle mobility - steal trents. If you find them too high and awkward to squat in dock the heels down to 0.5" (what most IPF guys who squat low bar do).

Also try widening your grip if wrist/shoulder flexibility presents a problem.

Also check with fadi - I've noticed a lot of OL lifters put little rubber bands on the bar which they hold instead of the bar. That might give you a bit more flexibility to ensure the bar is sitting in the cradle.

My 5c.

True, the bigger KBs have bigger jumps.

Lots of people have front squatted 128kg or more with a barbell. I have never heard of anyone doing 2x64kg kettlebells. I suppose some maniac at one of the PTCs will now give it a go.

For serious strength you'll want barbells.

KB really are not the ideal tool for building serious strength or muscle. I say that as a kettlebell coach, not a high-level one but it's not common for PTs to have learned it from somewhere other than youtube.

KB are an excellent tool for building beginner's strength, and for all-round joint mobility, conditioning and so on. They have the advantage of being compact, barbells and plates and racks and dumbbells of different weights tend to take up a lot of space. But 3-4 different KB is as much as any individual is ever likely to need.

As a beginner, so long as you squat in some form or another and progress it over time, it's not a big deal exactly what kind of squat you do. I am not saying deep is a beginner, the lifts in her sig indicate otherwise - I'm just speaking generally.

To Deep I would say: okay, you find BB front squats difficult. Do you actually need to do them? Choose tools for the task.