• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Four Best Assistance Exercises??

What's your goal Mick, I mean why do you lift weights?

To be able to do the things in life that I want to do. Lifting weights is not the goal, it's simply a process.

Stay healthy, maintain muscle mass, keep functional strength, delay the ageing process would be my main goals. Secondary goals would be to look like I lift.

I believe I have achieved all these goals already, however there is no end to to process.

I can see no point in lifting for an hours on end, as a matter of fact, doing less seems to be more beneficial health wise than doing more.

Keep in mind I also engage in other activities on most days including lifting days.

So tomorrow will probably involve around 30-40 minutes of mountain bike riding followed by 30 minutes of lifting (Military Press two warm up sets, three work sets and possibly around 3-5 body building sets and 3 - 6 sets of Dips)

Tuesday might involve some conditioning work followed by lifting.

So lifting weights is only a part of a whole it's not the aim of the whole.

Last edited:
I am making this post without reading the thread first.
Then I'll read everyone else's posts and see if that changes.

MONDAY : Military Press - Triceps extensions
TUESDAY : Deadlift - Barbell rows (not pendlay)
THURSDAY : Bench Press - dips
FRIDAY : Barbell Squat - hyperextensions

What type of Triceps Extensions Champ, Seated ie. French Presses?

Not bad, I quite like it.

I really want to fit BB curls in there some where, not sure I need tricep extensions. May be I should do some tricep/BB curl supersets??? I know thats technically two exercises but can almost be done as one superset after military press. Then again I think dips covers the triceps

Last edited:
After considering all posts here as well as my own needs and preferences I have for now settled on the following:

MONDAY : Military Press & BB Curls

TUESDAY : Deadlift & Lat Pulldown

THURSDAY : Bench Press & Dips

FRIDAY : Barbell Squat & DB Pullovers

Extras on off days will be Push ups, Pull ups, Hyperextensions, Ab work, cycling, sprints and other conditioning stuff.

Will stick with this starting tomorrow.

How long do you want each training session to go for and how many times a week do you want to train?

Personally I would go body weight exercises like pull up and push ups. As you're going heavy with the compounds, you can rep out to failure with just body weight.

Last edited:
After considering all posts here as well as my own needs and preferences I have for now settled on the following:

MONDAY : Military Press & BB Curls

TUESDAY : Deadlift & Lat Pulldown

THURSDAY : Bench Press & Dips

FRIDAY : Barbell Squat & DB Pullovers

Extras on off days will be Push ups, Pull ups, Hyperextensions, Ab work, cycling, sprints and other conditioning stuff.

Will stick with this starting tomorrow.

Since when were BB Curls an assistance exercise for Mil. Press :D You gone all Brah on us Mickey :p

Haven't seen Pullovers as an assistance exercise for Squats since the days of ribcage expansion!

Needs some form of Rows somewhere for Shoulder health. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck Mickey :)

Honestly I think you're looking at the wrong thing
Curls or triceps
Dips or not
Who gives a fuck
You're doing 5/3/1, ok. One set leaving a rep in the tank once a week? That's why you're fat and weak man, no work ethic or impulse control

If you want a minimalist, no fuck around workout that will actually drive progress and make you not so much of a fat slob because you're actually exercising then do something like this:

Monday
Squat, 5x10 followed by 5x5 paused
RDL, 5x20

Wednesday
Close grip bench, 5x10, last set rest paused
Dips, 10 sets with body weight

Friday
Deadlift, 5x10, deficit 5x5
Rows: 10x10

Saturday
Press, 5x10, ramp up to heavy triple
Dips, 10 sets

Pull-ups done every day for 5 sets

+5 sets of calves 3 x per week because if my memory serves me well they were quite puny. :)

You're doing 5/3/1, ok. One set leaving a rep in the tank once a week? That's why you're fat and weak man, no work ethic or impulse control

If you want a minimalist, no fuck around workout that will actually drive progress and make you not so much of a fat slob because you're actually exercising then do something like this:
Bloody fantastic!
Listen up Micky

Honestly I think you're looking at the wrong thing
Curls or triceps
Dips or not
Who gives a fuck

Monday
Squat, 5x10 followed by 5x5 paused
RDL, 5x20

Wednesday
Close grip bench, 5x10, last set rest paused
Dips, 10 sets with body weight

Friday
Deadlift, 5x10, deficit 5x5
Rows: 10x10

Saturday
Press, 5x10, ramp up to heavy triple
Dips, 10 sets

Pull-ups done every day for 5 sets

my faith is now restored in AUSBB

How long do you want each training session to go for and how many times a week do you want to train?

Personally I would go body weight exercises like pull up and push ups. As you're going heavy with the compounds, you can rep out to failure with just body weight.

I train weights four times a week for around 30 minutes as mentioned here, Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri, apart from that I train every day. Training with weights as I mentioned here several times is only a small part of my training, probably the smallest part. Weights has always been a minor part of my training, the rest is about body weight training, playing sports, conditioning, mountain bike riding, rowing, hiking body weight training on off days and generally being active and moving around.

From the replies I am getting here, I get the feeling no one actually reads what I wrote here, and just assumes stuff.

Since when were BB Curls an assistance exercise for Mil. Press :D You gone all Brah on us Mickey :p

Haven't seen Pullovers as an assistance exercise for Squats since the days of ribcage expansion!

Needs some form of Rows somewhere for Shoulder health. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck Mickey :)

I think you are missing my point of what I am trying to achieve.

BB curls trains my muscles that have not been targeted by the other exercises, they are not supposed to relate to Military press they are supposed train another body part to get a more complete workout ie build some bicep/arm definition/muscles.

I think people are confused with what I am asking and I have been confused by some replies, like why I would want to do rack pulls after dead lifts like someone suggested, I have already done dead lifts. so I can't see a need for rack pulls, I need to do something different to get a bang for buck, no point doing an exercise that targets the same basic muscles again when I have already trained them.