• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Four Best Assistance Exercises??

As Neddysmith has suggested, do different exercises for each day of your full body workout, there are so many different exercises available to us, why limit it to only three or four.

Silverback also touches on a good point, the risk of injury increases by doing only one or two movements per workout and it also then leaves it too long between body parts worked, which is why you are sore the days after the workout.

But to answer your question Micky, a typical full body template would look something like this, all done in 45min.
Choose a different exercise for each body part each day
3-4 sets of each exercise
Minimal rest between sets, by minimal I mean less than a minute.

Shoulders
Chest
Back
Arms
Legs

By the way, that's the order that I train with, for someone else it might be different.

My order has always been;

legs
pull
push

largest muscles to smallest
on a good day I can do a workout anywhere between 30 to 40 minutes.
30 minutes usually leaves me on the floor
12 minutes usually leaves on the floor longer

hey, that is what I do. legs, push and pull.

However, I don't do same workout twice per week.

Say legs, one day Olympic squats, stepups, knee extensions; next time powerlift squats (high bar), lunges and leg press.

I always do bench and military press together, but change order.

In my 30 years of working out, It took a while to realize not everything works for everyone it took me ten years to settle on and establish my core group of exercises and the last 7 years I've used the same group

Last edited:
The problem I have when doing full body is out takes too long warming up all the muscle groups. I can't go straight into squatting 120+. Need 3-4 warm ups. Then the same for chest if benching and then rows etc.
It's fine for a beginner who is using very low weight who may only require 1-2 warm ups.

I would recommend these as they qualify for bang for buck status yet at the same time, compliments and/or balances your main exercise. Three sets of 10 (or whatever to your liking)

MONDAY : Military Press, then Pull Ups

TUESDAY : Deadlift, then Front Squats or Good Mornings

THURSDAY : Bench Press, then Pendlay Rows or DB Rows

FRIDAY : Barbell Squat, then Leg Press or Lunges

An even simpler way (just like I mentioned in your log), would be to do the BBB variation of 5/3/1. No thinking, just doing, and watch the size, strength, and muscular endurance come back right at ya.

What does Wendler say????

Db Rows (number fucken 1.) , Chins
Dips

I know he is a huge fan of high rep DB Rows, I guess everybody is different DB rows is one exercise I have never rated highly. personally have always preferred BB rows or T Bar rows, even bought a T Bar row which I picked up cheap on eBay, unfortunately it's currently in storage as I don't have space for it.

Here is all the equipment I have currently available to me:

The white footing in this photo is a dip stand.

I also have a lat pulldown set up in the garage.

Imo, if your still sore for days and days after a workout you're doing too little, too infrequently; not the other way around

Not necessarily sore, but I can feel the muscles worked.

There seems to be differing opinions on this, muscles only need to be stimulated to grow, then they need to be rested and given time to grow and recover, they do not grow while being trained, some trainers suggest a muscle only needs to be worked once a week some even suggest less than that provided they are worked hard enough and are broken down sufficiently.

Firstly a full body workout 3 times a week doesn't mean, squats, dead lifts and bench press each day 3 times a week, although this is subjective as well, but I would have thought you do a range of exercises which cover the whole body 3 times per week, so you might BN bench one day, incline DB press the next and say dips or flyes on the third day, for legs it might be squats, sldl and calves, lunges or front squats and you rotate these though.

Exactly what I posted and explained earlier.

MONDAY : Military Press (DB Laterals/DIPS)

TUESDAY : Deadlift (Rack Pulls/DB Row)

THURSDAY : Bench Press (DB Flat or Incline/ Any Tricep extension movement)

FRIDAY : Barbell Squat (Stiff legged deadlifts/reverse hyper/lunges)

This is my 2c - I honestly couldn't do just 1 assistance exercise but that is just me....

I might be looking at this wrong, but I have noted this with a few suggestions here:

Can someone explain why I would want to do Rack Pulls after deadlifts?? That are basically the same the way I see it, shouldn't I be doing something very different ie Lat Pulldown or BB rows??

Same with Bench followed by DB Flyers?

The way I see it the purpose of assistance exercises is to

1) strengthen weak areas

2) Compliment the four basic lifts

3) Provide balance and symmetry to body

4) Build muscle mass

As Wendler suggested the biggest problem some people have is doing way too many exercises>

QUOTE : When choosing assistance exercises do yourself a favour and justify why you are doing them. Don't bullshit yourself. You must have a strong reason for doing an exercise, if you don't, scrap it and move on. Sometimes, instead of what you do in the weight room, it is what you don't do that will lead to success. You must keep training economy in mind when choosing exercises.

After reading the above I started this thread to see what peoples opinions on the best bang for buck exercises are.

Not necessarily sore, but I can feel the muscles worked.

There seems to be differing opinions on this, muscles only need to be stimulated to grow, then they need to be rested and given time to grow and recover, they do not grow while being trained, some trainers suggest a muscle only needs to be worked once a week some even suggest less than that provided they are worked hard enough and are broken down sufficiently.

Want to improve on something, you do it regularly. Definitely more often than one a week. Weight training is no different.

I know he is a huge fan of high rep DB Rows, I guess everybody is different DB rows is one exercise I have never rated highly. personally have always preferred BB rows or T Bar rows, even bought a T Bar row which I picked up cheap on eBay, unfortunately it's currently in storage as I don't have space for it.

Here is all the equipment I have currently available to me:

The white footing in this photo is a dip stand.

I also have a lat pulldown set up in the garage.

Only one Huskies now? Nice set up and air con!

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/10/the-last-word-on-assistance-lifts-i-wish/

"Assistance exercise" what a meaningless term

Personally I think it's the perfect term. You have your main lifts, then there is some assistance work to fill in the gaps that may or may not be left behind.

Too may people are spending too much time in the gym worrying about minor lifts that have little benefit in the overall scheme of things. I work with one guy who also trains with weights (I would not call it lifting TBH) and he concentrates on spending 40 minutes doing 4 different variations of arm curls every other workout yet will loudly proclaim that squats and dead lifts are a waste of time.

Its what Wendler refers to as majoring in the minors. I tend to like his training philosophy as it's all about training economy and getting the best results in the least possible time, something that is close to my heart with a busy lifestyle and limited training time. I enjoy my training time and want to get maximum results for time spend lifting.

Last edited:
Personally I think it's the perfect term. You have your main lifts, then there is some assistance work to fill in the gaps that may or may not be left behind.
What's your goal Mick, I mean why do you lift weights?

Too may people are spending too much time in the gym worrying about minor lifts that have little benefit in the overall scheme of things. I work with one guy who also trains with weights (I would not call it lifting TBH) and he concentrates on spending 40 minutes doing 4 different variations of arm curls every other workout yet will loudly proclaim that squats and dead lifts are a waste of time.
Of course, I don't disagree with that but I don't know what that has to do with me thinking that the term assistance is meaningless.

Last edited:
I dont really like his program, but i really do like his training philosophy

Everyone likes different things I guess, I just completed writing out my next training cycle starting tomorrow, and I already know exactly what I will be lifting tomorrow, the next day, on Friday or Friday in three weeks from now.

I like the fact that no thought processes need to be engaged, just turn up and lift, walk out and get on with the rest of your day, and I already know what I will be doing tomorrow.

Just going to finalise my assistance program tonight then start logging on Monday.

Assistance will be adjusted as needed.