• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise machines are for cripples

I've never seen anyone get decent results on machines. I can see some small use for an advanced body builder or people with some form of injury or problem.

I can't fathom why pt's seem to favour them so much. I also can't understand why 90% of the floor space is dedicated to them.

welcome back, Fadi :)

Hi Vivi,

I felt the need to put my view forward since I don't stand for the "my way or the highway" type of attitudes or tone anywhere in life, let alone exercising.

I don't expect a single one of you here to agree with me nor am I asking for approval.

It's merely an opinion with judgment reserved.

Fadi.

Appreciate your input fadi!

Its mostly satire, though. Not a my way or highway type guy either ;)

I've never seen anyone get decent results on machines. I can see some small use for an advanced body builder or people with some form of injury or problem.

I can't fathom why pt's seem to favour them so much. I also can't understand why 90% of the floor space is dedicated to them.

$$$...

The best exercise you can do with a Nautilus machine is to deadlift the Nautilus machine into a dumpster.

I cracked up when reading that

The best exercise you can do with a Nautilus machine is to deadlift the Nautilus machine into a dumpster.

I cracked up when reading that

Cant really deadlift a machine into something, you'd have to powerclean it so you can carry it there, no?

If the alleged "personal trainer" at your shitty gym tries to "train" you by walking you around the gym floor and telling you how to do various exercise machines, you punch him right in the nuts, and ejaculate "That is not hardcore!"

Great quotes

Stupid article.

There are places for machines if they fit your goals and there are also good uses for machines to lead up to harder exercises such as pullups. Lat pulldowns are good for teaching people control if they have shitty pullup technique. The lat pulldown is also kinder on the shoulders. ]

Most machines are not designed, nor can they actually, work one muscle or muscle group. Most are replicating barbell movements just in a shitty locked motion. Best uses are for going to failure without a spotter, drop setting etc when looking to build size. Sometimes they are also good at getting people who will not even look at a barbell lifting something.

Some are quite good like cable movements for o/h tricep extensions, pushdowns, cable rows, flyes, facepulls etc etc etc.

Obviously an article written by someone who does not train people other than those he thinks are worthy.

Kaz, part of my prob has been lopsidedness in strength and balance between left and right. Still not allowed to bench press, only DB presses until I correct it. Almost there now. The DB press really shows just how different they are. Sometimes, I now fail with my right before the left which is a good sign they are about the same on a good day.
My DEXA did show I had more muscle on the right, it is slightly bigger.

Doing DB presses is good for it.

Welcome to the team Viv. Go the DB press only group. Stupid fracking shoulders.

The people who say that machines are completely useless have never trained females or children under 15.

They have there uses.
But yes eventually u will need to move to the free weights.

cheers Trent

Man, this is crazy.

I don't use machines at all, but only because I don't own any. but every time I get to a gym I use them and love them. I find it really hard to train calves with free weights,

went to a gym on monday, calves were still a bit sore on friday.

lats
triceps
calves

these are the parts that I wish I had machines for, even legs now that I think about it.

I dont think I can name a bodybuilder that doesn't use machines.

Wish I had some

Hi Vivi,

I felt the need to put my view forward since I don't stand for the "my way or the highway" type of attitudes or tone anywhere in life, let alone exercising.

I don't expect a single one of you here to agree with me nor am I asking for approval.

It's merely an opinion with judgment reserved.

Fadi.

I don't disagree with you. I use cable machines all the time.
I don't use the other machines because I prefer not to and I don't like them. I also no longer use the cardio machines (mostly treadmill) because I prefer to run outside in the fresh air. But that's just a personal preference. My cousin has my treadmill and it's a great thing for him as he struggles with motivation to exercise.

I think we all have our own preferences which is good and, as you say, different things work for different people and we should keep an open mind to different forms of training.

It is true that a lot of gyms have an imbalance of equipment but that probably just reflects the traditional market to which they cater. That's why garage gyms, crossfit and other forms of training gyms are still really only "boutique" level in Australia.
The views here possibly reflect some of the frustration felt by people on this forum with that situation.

PS It is really good to have you drop in...where have you been? my training diary probably needs an ear-bashing!!

What would you consider to be "decent results" Don?

And to whose standards are we measuring up to Sir?

Fadi.

99% of the people I see using machines, the basic clientelle of the 5 gyms I have worked out at, as the main focus of their workout look the exact same or fatter after 6 months of training. I would say that is not results.

I have seen guys on football teams, as they were the largest group I have been exposed to using free weights, add visible size and measurable strength, on a rather halfassed program, with only a couple months of free weights. I would count that as progress.

One definitely seems more beneficial on the whole.

I am sure there are exceptions to the machine rule. But I have not witnessed it in real life.

Last edited:
99% of the people I see using machines, the basic clientelle of the 5 gyms I have worked out at, as the main focus of their workout look the exact same or fatter after 6 months of training. I would say that is not results.

I have seen guys on football teams, as they were the largest group I have been exposed to using free weights, add visible size and measurable strength, on a rather halfassed program, with only a couple months of free weights. I would count that as progress.

One definitely seems more beneficial on the whole.

I am sure there are exceptions to the machine rule. But I have not witnessed it in real life.

Did you consider the lack of results were due to the people themselves, not the machines?
99% of the people you see in commercial gyms do make any significant progress full stop.

Last edited:
Did you consider the lack of results were due to the people themselves, not the machines?
99% of the people you see in commercial gyms do make any significant progress full stop.

Thats the problem pecdecs and smith machines are moron magnets.

People who put in a weak effort gravitate towards machines, and then take it easy on them.

I fully agree with Darkoz.

Just like guys half repping 40kg on the bench press for ever. No effort. Quarter squats with 40kg, no effort. We could go on forever.

People who put in a weak effort gravitate towards machines, and then take it easy on them.

I fully agree with Darkoz.

Just like guys half repping 40kg on the bench press for ever. No effort. Quarter squats with 40kg, no effort. We could go on forever.

Well put.

You are working under the assumption that people are lazy.

I saw people who had paid good money for personal training. They obviously had some initial level of dedication. But after a few months of lackluster results give it up. If I was going to the gym and not feeling like my time was beneficial, I'd stop going too.

The footballers made the best progress of all the groups I have witnessed. Their programs were all squat and bench heavy. Many were lazy, but the focus on main lifts brought them overall more noticable results.