• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise machines are for cripples

I do pullups and dips but also use the cable machine for o/head tricep extensions, lat pulldowns etc like Deep.

i also use them for shoulder rehab exercises like cable side cross side raises etc. oh wait, that's cos my shoulder was kinda crippled. OK but they're still good!

I don't get the need for hamstring curl machines, leg press, and all those other crazy gizmos though.

Think back 2 months to my neck & shoulder injury.
I can do body weight pull ups but when I injured my neck and shoulder I converted to cable exercises as I came to realise I am building strength, not competing for pull up reps.

I do pullups and dips but also use the cable machine for o/head tricep extensions, lat pulldowns etc like Deep.

i also use them for shoulder rehab exercises like cable side cross side raises etc. oh wait, that's cos my shoulder was kinda crippled. OK but they're still good!

I don't get the need for hamstring curl machines, leg press, and all those other crazy gizmos though.

Think back 2 months to my neck & shoulder injury.
I can do body weight pull ups but when I injured my neck and shoulder I converted to cable exercises as I came to realise I am building strength, not competing for pull up reps.

See crippled... article proven.

Plus I'm gonna have to work on correcting strength balance between both of my guns.
I reckon I favour my right side when lifting. My June Dexa will reveal.

There is a place for machines, not all machines but some. I don't feel the need to prove it, that's just how it is.

Plus I'm gonna have to work on correcting strength balance between both of my guns.

Are you right handed? Which hand do you use under on your deadlifts? Why don't you swap it? :p

Seeking symmetry sounds kinda gay :p

Not after symmetry, balance. When you see my bench vid you'll see why. In a comp, if you have a big angle when pushing the bar you can get red lighted. It happened with Katie Foster at Nsw gpc states.
I'm right handed and I grip the bar with right hand under grip. No fcken way would I change my deadlift grip.

Kaz, part of my prob has been lopsidedness in strength and balance between left and right. Still not allowed to bench press, only DB presses until I correct it. Almost there now. The DB press really shows just how different they are. Sometimes, I now fail with my right before the left which is a good sign they are about the same on a good day.
My DEXA did show I had more muscle on the right, it is slightly bigger.

Doing DB presses is good for it.

Kaz, part of my prob has been lopsidedness in strength and balance between left and right. Still not allowed to bench press, only DB presses until I correct it. Almost there now. The DB press really shows just how different they are. Sometimes, I now fail with my right before the left which is a good sign they are about the same on a good day.
My DEXA did show I had more muscle on the right, it is slightly bigger.

Doing DB presses is good for it.

I tend to skip DB presses when they turn up on my program, I really should do them lol!

Lol, I hate how trainers have size over us! Not fair!

yep and she's a competitive sprinter so she runs faster than me (ie no escape) AND she used to compete at an elite level in boxing and MA (ie she can beat me to a pulp if I say nay).

really the only option is to say "yes, ma'am" and do as I'm told.

Dave Draper writes in his blog about how he still trains alot with machines cause he is totally crippled with shot knees, shoulders, elbows etc. His weekly newsletter is actually pretty funny its a bit along the lines of training for the geriatric. The guy still looks like he is in good shape though and does nearly all his working out on a cable pull.

Exercise machines are for cripples
I totally and unreservedly reject the offensive attitude and the explicit and judgemental arrogant opinion here; that exercise machines are for cripples.

Why can’t people be left alone without being judged according to one man’s standard or one school of thought’s opinion!

You won’t hear me say that this way is the only way and other ways are of a lesser degree than mine simply because they are different. Since when has “different” or a “different approach” become synonymous with being right or wrong?

I take a different approach here by saying that a bodybuilder has many tools before him to choose from. And to simply let some go based on someone’s opinion would be less than utilising one’s own God given intelligence.

No, exercise machines are NOT for cripples, but they are for people who appreciate that variety in life is good in many more ways than just the one, be it placing constant tension on a muscle over bringing in some stabiliser muscles or whatever the case may be at any given time.

The above was my opinion, and an opinion is just that…, and it’s not about being Mr Right or winning the votes of the “non-crippled” community who favour the use of free weights over machines.

Fadi.

Last edited: