• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
There was no personal attack mate.

I do not know what you are aiming to achieve in this thread.

You have basically said the GPC should basically introduce testing, which isn't going to happen.
It's not because GPC/CAPO is pro-steroids, it simply just costs to much money.

I've asked you questions, to which you've still not answered.

I don't take it personally, but describing my suggestions as a "rant" and labeling me as ignorant does not progress things. It seems that rather than addressing the issue, which I have not taken any moral stance on, nor uttered a single suggestion of condemnation in this thread, the man is played and not the balll.

I have queried whether organisations such as GPC ought to align themselves with community expectations. I did not say that GPC "should" do anything.

I am concernd that as a prolific and high profile successful organisation, GPC and others conduct themselves in a way that benefits the strength sports and the way they are perceived in the longer term. There have been dark days before in the sport and there may be some ominous dark clouds on the horizon.

Von, you seem to post a lot about the "public", an what they "expect".

I think what you are doing here is pushing your own ignorant views.

How do you know what the public want? I think spectator/competitor numbers is the best indicator mate..... And I can tell you GPC does pretty well on that front.

I'll say this first and foremost, I do not condone the abuse of prescribed medications for sporting advantages.

You brought up the cost. Do you know how much it costs to test? And do you also know the annual turnover of PA compared to GPC or CAPO?
What about how much funding PA get from the government for testing? I can tell you GPC and CAPO get zero, and will need get any.

I think you need to educate yourself further before posting rants again.

I have not referred to the "public". I have referred to community expectations. Stop hallucinating and come back down to earth.

Now if you meant to ask how I know what community expectations are, one could describe that as the expectations of conduct and behaviour held by reasonable people who live in this fortunate country. If you don't understand what that means, attend a P & C meeting at a local school or drop by any number of NFP community groups. Most people get taught about these things by their parents.

I'm glad that now you don't condone the use of prescribed medications for sporting advantage. This stance is however in contrast to your stated position on PED in sports that is preserved for all eternity in the print media. I'm glad you have made the necessary adaptation and now I can congratulate you on gaining 90kg on your squat, 70kg on your deadlift and 40kg on your bench within a time frame of approximately 12 months.

I wouldn't have a clue about the turnover of GPC or CAPO. I know there is greater level of activity at GPC and the events are well run and manage to attract sponsors. I would hope that translates into enhanced financial performance and improved financial position. If not, why not?

I know how much it costs to test my employees and contractors for drugs other than PED. Someone mentioned on the steroid sub forum that each PED analysis cost $2k.

If PA receives subsidy for testing, it is because it complies with the relevant standards and has the appropriate policy framework in place. Rather than piss and moan about not being able to receive subsidy, why not make the necessary adjustments?

Point taken.

This entire thread was pointless anyway. Von is calling out GPC for being the biggest growing federation, and not being tested.

GPC can't be tested, so nothing (as far as im aware) can be done.
GPC has now over 160 members Australia wide, with a large footing in every state and territory with the exception of SA and Tas.

Media coverage for our competitions and competitors had been awesome, and the amount of spectators at GPC meets is 2nd to none.

I guess time will tell how things will pan out.

I do think however Vons opinion of the public turning on untested Feds is far from correct. You can not compare Armstrong to powerlifting.

but of those 160 members how many are from ptc alone? 90 odd?
if so over 50% are from the same club

I don't take it personally, but describing my suggestions as a "rant" and labeling me as ignorant does not progress things. It seems that rather than addressing the issue, which I have not taken any moral stance on, nor uttered a single suggestion of condemnation in this thread, the man is played and not the balll.

I have queried whether organisations such as GPC yought to align themselves with community expectations. I did not say that GPC "should" do anything.

I am concernd that as a prolific and high profile successful organisation, GPC and others conduct themselves in a way that benefits the strength sports and the way they are perceived in the longer term. There have been dark days before in the sport and there may be some ominous dark clouds on the horizon.

Mate don't pretend your not being condemning, your op was pretty accusatory and I know fom another thead that you don't approve of PEDs. In both theads you make assumptions about what society thinks. In this one you make assumptions about the budgets and funding of various feds. You've made it clear you know nothing about the topic and therefore you should not speak on it until you educate yourself, Instead of spreading misinformation.

PED's gpcs , p&c capo

How does one get all excited about it, I mean, I find all this stuff about power lifting about as interesting as bat shit.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't make any personal judgment, but this shit is worse than women's weekly.

PED's gpcs , p&c capo

How does one get all excited about it, I mean, I find all this stuff about power lifting about as interesting as bat shit.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't make any personal judgment, but this shit is worse than women's weekly.

Same as liberal vs labor to some people, no?

Mate don't pretend your not being condemning, your op was pretty accusatory and I know fom another thead that you don't approve of PEDs. In both theads you make assumptions about what society thinks. In this one you make assumptions about the budgets and funding of various feds. You've made it clear you know nothing about the topic and therefore you should not speak on it until you educate yourself, Instead of spreading misinformation.

What pray tell then, is the budget and funding of GPC and CAPO? I'm not a member. Is your suggestion that the GPC movement, with its popularity and frequency of events, cannot mobilise funds to implement organizational change if that was the will of its board or members?

Advise me in which areas my assumptions about community expectations are wide of the mark. I'm not allowed to talk about that since clearly I know nothing, right?

Show the instances where I have not praised the efficacy of GPC. I know some natural lifters who lift in GPC, am I condemning them anywhere in this thread?

interpretations, which are fair game for debate, do not represent mis-information. where is this mis-information that I am peddling and how would anything I have mentioned constitute an injurious falsehood?

You are telling me not speak. Who may speak? - The lifter with the highest total, the most experienced lifter, the least experienced lifter, the dunderhead, the academic, the committee member, the GP, the lawyer, the priest.....?

Last edited:
Back to government funding, I recall reading that the government only recognises one association per sport for funding purposes, which in the current case is PA.

CAPO and GPC or even ADFPA would not be able to access government funding for subsidised testing even if they wanted it.

Back to government funding, I recall reading that the government only recognises one association per sport for funding purposes, which in the current case is PA.

CAPO and GPC or even ADFPA would not be able to access government funding for subsidised testing even if they wanted it.

I seem to remember something similar in the ACT - a "relevant national sporting body" or something like that. I'm not sure that the act explicitly provides for only one relevant body in each sport, though.

but you can hardly call it growth if its only one club lol

Isnt there clubs aligned with pa? Where majority if not all those lifters part of the club compete for pa. Im not sure on numbers but that would be around the number of gpc lifters who train at ptc franchises or more?

I know personally scott really doesnt mind where we compete, he will continue to coach his lifters no matter what.

Isnt there clubs aligned with pa? Where majority if not all those lifters part of the club compete for pa. Im not sure on numbers but that would be around the number of gpc lifters who train at ptc franchises or more?

I know personally scott really doesnt mind where we compete, he will continue to coach his lifters no matter what.
yeah of course, but all im saying is that when a club is aus wide and most if not all of its lifters compete in one fed, GPC in aus is virtually PTC

Here in Brisbane, it's probably a safe bet to say that most competitive lifters at UQPWC (where most of our PA meets are held) are probably with PA. I train at Strength Sports Gym, and the other week I think 11 of our lifters competed in a PA meet. Not sure what federation/s Iron Underground leans towards, but I know Paul Thompson who's in charge over there competes in PA, too.

Okay. This is stupid anyway. Ptc was around before gpc, capo fucked me and alot of others over, we switched.

PTC and GPC are the greatest things to happen to powerlifting in australia

/end

I spent the weekend at a PA associated gym with PA Lifters. There was no "us and them", they knew I was PTC & GPC associated, they asked me questions, I asked them questions. The facilitator asked questions about GPC so those who were there not associated with any Powerlifting could understand the different techniques and rulings across different federations. The facilitator included the CAPO member also.

I really don't think everyone in each federation should be painted with the same colour brush, when most lifters are there for the sport, not the politics.