• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does it matter what fat you eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
Just wanna know, does it matter what fat I incorporate into my diet? Sure, fat is essential in the daily macros and in the production of tes, but would the source of fat make any difference? Like, animal fat, veg fat, saturated fat, trans fat?

(I just had a whole bowl of 'fatty' chicken wings and feel a bit guilty I didn't eat an avocado instead. But at least I got my protein intake down pat. :p)

From a weight loss or body composition perspective it makes no difference...

However from a health perspective there are supposed limitations on how many bad fats one should consume... There are certain types of macros and minerals that require moderation...

I have yet to see anything that quantifies these limitations as yet...

Last edited:
Polys, monos, trans & saturated fats are all needed by the body in some form... if you're looking for a definitive answer re: ratios of polys, monos, trans, etc. you won't find one.

Obviously getting in your EFAs is good long-term for overall health, so once in a while choose some walnuts over some chocolate, or whatever, and you'll be fine. Just be sensible about it.

^ I'm not aware of any need for trans fats, I'm only aware of the fact that small doses of them are unavoidable.

As far as I'm aware, there are benefits towards fitness in consuming about 0.5g/kg bodyweight/day, but no added benefits from going beyond that amount.

There's nothing wrong with animal fats (so no need to feel guilty about eating chicken fat), and a fair amount of the fat you consume should be saturated.

^ I'm not aware of any need for trans fats, I'm only aware of the fact that small doses of them are unavoidable.

The studies, as always, are contentious... but the trans fats found in milk, butter, yogurt, and so forth -- the unavoidable types, as you pointed out -- are known as vaccenic acid, an omega-7 fatty acid. There have been studies that say it's anti-carcinogenic, that it helps lower bad cholesterol, that it's good for the brain, etc.

Non-essential, just like omega-9s, but I'm not aware of the reasoning... I know n-9s can be created within the body, perhaps the same is true of n-7s.

I thought naturally occuring trans fats were ok, but trans fats as part of the processing of foods is what causes the problem. In Australia trans fats are generally much, much lower than food processed in USA - but usually I've found food with trans fats is generally shit and you shouldn't be eating too much of it anyway.

yes, naturally occurring trans fats in fresh animal foods are ok in moderation.

it's the hydrogenated trans fats that are made by chemists that are bad for you. these are totally avoidable and should be.

you need a balance of mono, poly and saturated fats (of which naturally occurring trans form a part).

Essential fatty acids are most important as our bodies don't produce these ... ie mainly Omega 3 and Omega 6 in a good ratio - best sources are oily/cold water fish. Veg sources like flax and walnuts also good but fish is better for absorption etc.

Generally speaking for avoidance is to avoid:

- processed foods (mostly produced with hydrogenated vegetable oils and tallows ie bad trans fats) - this includes margarines

- vegetable oils high in omega 6 EFAs as these can throw the balance out for your EFAs. This includes canola, rapeseed, sunflower, safflower, corn, rice bran oil etc.

To have:
Olive oil is good, fresh butter is good - organic, grass fed better, coconut oil, avocadoes, nuts and peanuts, etc.

Lard and animal fats are good but if you want some real CLA content, try to buy organic meat from grass fed animals as the CLA content is much higher, plus eggs, dairy.

Most importantly, you don't need a lot, although how much you need in your daily requirement also depends on the type of diet you are following (eg more fat in keto/low carb etc).

Don't feel guilty about eating the chicken :)

^^ good info, and everything you need to know, tbh.

Are all the marg spreads you get in AU made with hydrogenated stuff?

I buy one made from sunflower oil with no dairy, so it has a negligible amount of trans fats.

^^ good info, and everything you need to know, tbh.

Are all the marg spreads you get in AU made with hydrogenated stuff?

I buy one made from sunflower oil with no dairy, so it has a negligible amount of trans fats.

not all of them are. But you're frankly better off having a little fresh real butter than a margarine made from sunflower oil in the interest of long term health.

for body recomp, it doesn't matter at all.

yes, naturally occurring trans fats in fresh animal foods are ok in moderation.

it's the hydrogenated trans fats that are made by chemists that are bad for you. these are totally avoidable and should be.

you need a balance of mono, poly and saturated fats (of which naturally occurring trans form a part).

Essential fatty acids are most important as our bodies don't produce these ... ie mainly Omega 3 and Omega 6 in a good ratio - best sources are oily/cold water fish. Veg sources like flax and walnuts also good but fish is better for absorption etc.

Generally speaking for avoidance is to avoid:

- processed foods (mostly produced with hydrogenated vegetable oils and tallows ie bad trans fats) - this includes margarines

- vegetable oils high in omega 6 EFAs as these can throw the balance out for your EFAs. This includes canola, rapeseed, sunflower, safflower, corn, rice bran oil etc.

To have:
Olive oil is good, fresh butter is good - organic, grass fed better, coconut oil, avocadoes, nuts and peanuts, etc.

Lard and animal fats are good but if you want some real CLA content, try to buy organic meat from grass fed animals as the CLA content is much higher, plus eggs, dairy.

Most importantly, you don't need a lot, although how much you need in your daily requirement also depends on the type of diet you are following (eg more fat in keto/low carb etc).

Don't feel guilty about eating the chicken :)

Food being organic has no effect on how good or bad it is for you.

Organic is just a marketing gimmick.

Food being organic has no effect on how good or bad it is for you.

Organic is just a marketing gimmick.

I didn't say it made a difference. But animal fat from grass fed animals does make a difference and it's most often occurring from organic producers.

Much higher CLA content in animal meat from grass fed critters.

But you are also somewhat incorrect. It can make a difference in some foods. A good example is berries. Berries absorb and retain chemicals from "industrial farming" techniques much more than other fruits etc. So it's not that they are nutritious because of what they contain more of but of what they do not contain.

it's easy to see everything in black and white but in fact, farming practices are more complex than that.

Last edited:
Thats some really good info there CCM. What sort of cooking oil do you use? I prefer olive oil, but am wary that at high temps, the fatty acids in the oil start to breakdown and the quality of nutrition start to suffer.

So I recently started using rice bran oil but if these can throw the balance off my EFA's then I'll be looking for an alternative.

Coconut oil is great for some foods but the flavour tends to out some people off that I am cooking for (not me though, I love the stuff).

Thats some really good info there CCM. What sort of cooking oil do you use? I prefer olive oil, but am wary that at high temps, the fatty acids in the oil start to breakdown and the quality of nutrition start to suffer.

So I recently started using rice bran oil but if these can throw the balance off my EFA's then I'll be looking for an alternative.

Coconut oil is great for some foods but the flavour tends to out some people off that I am cooking for (not me though, I love the stuff).

Yeah, coconut oil is oK for some things but not everything. I like to stir fry with coco oil for chicken and prawns etc but I wouldn't cook a steak with it.

I use a lot of olive oil but not for high temp stir fries and stuff (I'm Italian so EVOO is my top pref through genetic imperative lol)

I use an EVOO cooking spray sometimes because it's only being used in a fine mist so not really an issue (unless i use silicone pans so no need or simply line pans with silicone paper).

For salads, EVOO, flaxseed or nut oils (walnut, pistachio, macadamia) for flavour.

I also use cacao butter for sweet things.
for baking, butter, coconut oil, cacao butter, or macadamia nut oil or olive oil

I think you can easily get too worked up about the fats used in your diet. If the majority of them is monounsaturated/polyunsaturated with a little saturated in there and you make sure you get sufficient EFAs and have the minimum fats required for your bod, it's all good.

Moderation in all things is probably the key to success, right?

The studies, as always, are contentious... but the trans fats found in milk, butter, yogurt, and so forth -- the unavoidable types, as you pointed out -- are known as vaccenic acid, an omega-7 fatty acid. There have been studies that say it's anti-carcinogenic, that it helps lower bad cholesterol, that it's good for the brain, etc.

Non-essential, just like omega-9s, but I'm not aware of the reasoning... I know n-9s can be created within the body, perhaps the same is true of n-7s.
Hmm, interesting. You learn something new every day-and-a-half.

Thanks also to CCM for all your info. Good stuff.

I didn't say it made a difference. But animal fat from grass fed animals does make a difference and it's most often occurring from organic producers.
yes you did

To have:

Also grass fed and organic are two different things please dont confuse them. You cant say grass fed is better(which is a whole other topic) therefore organic is better. Being organic has nothing to do with grass fed.

But you are also somewhat incorrect. It can make a difference in some foods. A good example is berries. Berries absorb and retain chemicals from "industrial farming" techniques much more than other fruits etc. So it's not that they are nutritious because of what they contain more of but of what they do not contain.

it's easy to see everything in black and white but in fact, farming practices are more complex than that.

very wrong here again. You are wrongly assuming organic farming does not use chemicals. Organic farms can and do use chemicals they just have to be to be natural chemicals and as we know just because it is natural does not make is safe or better. Quite often the chemicals used by "industrial farming" are safer and more effective synthetic versions of these natural occurring chemicals organic farmers use

You are falling for the naturalistic fallacy of organic. The science behind the benefits is just not there. Organic is just a feel good marketing ploy.

for pity's sake, Bazza, I did not feckin' confuse them - I said ORGANIC GRASS FED.

you'd be hard pressed to find grass fed without it being organic here in Oz.
not confusion. they generally go together by virtue of coincidence of farming practice. look it up.

not bothering to argue with you.

for pity's sake, Bazza, I did not feckin' confuse them - I said ORGANIC GRASS FED.

you'd be hard pressed to find grass fed without it being organic here in Oz.
not confusion. they generally go together by virtue of coincidence of farming practice. look it up.

not bothering to argue with you.
Look it up. Lol. I don't need to look up how farming is done here. I just opened up the gate to let my 500 cows onto a fresh paddok of grass and next go check on my 300 young stock also on grass and no I'm not an organic farm because its bullshit.

Why say include organic if it has nothing to do with grassfed.

You are wrong, grass feed is very common in Australia organic or not. You are way outside your area of expertise here.

Status
Not open for further replies.