• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Defrancos top 10 training myths

wingman

Super M0derator
Not sure if this has been posted before or not. But here they are

10 - Preacher curls work the lower bicep

9 - Basketball & Baseball players shouldnt lift weights

8 - Pulling in your belly is the key to stabilizing spine whilst squatting

7 - Important to build aerobic base before beginning anaerobic workouts

6 - Athletes shouldnt bench as it isn't sport specific

5 - Women should stick to aerobic workouts to avoid being manly

4 - Olympic Lifts are the only way to get explosive

3 - How tired/sore you are is indicative of a good workout

2 - Strength training stunts childrens' growth

1 - Lifting light weight for reps tones & shapes muscle

Full article and explanation of each of the above is here:

Ten Training Myths Exposed! - DeFranco's Training

Any that you disagree with?

maybe 7? for some people.
if you are reasonably fit and healthy, no problem, but getting your heart in good condition (ie, better at creating and changing B.P.) will help with strength training..

or just take longer to "get used to it" doing strength only?

then again, he suggests
" multiple anaerobic activities with short rest intervals over a prolonged period of time"
instead of
"long, slow, distance training"
which I agree with, sinc eit's the heart that needs(?) to be activated, not the aerobic part as such..

but even to suggest marathon training in prep for weights is a bit silly :D.... fast 1km or 2km runs would be beter than 100km slowly

Last edited:
If using a lift makes one explosive, then it stands to reason that playing basketball will make one 7 foot tall.

maybe 7? for some people.
if you are reasonably fit and healthy, no problem, but getting your heart in good condition (ie, better at creating and changing B.P.) will help with strength training..

or just take longer to "get used to it" doing strength only?

then again, he suggests
" multiple anaerobic activities with short rest intervals over a prolonged period of time"
instead of
"long, slow, distance training"
which I agree with, sinc eit's the heart that needs(?) to be activated, not the aerobic part as such..

but even to suggest marathon training in prep for weights is a bit silly :D.... fast 1km or 2km runs would be beter than 100km slowly

Weight training gets the heart rate up.

I like defrancos stuff. The only thing off the top of my head that i don't agree with is his stance on overhead pressing but I doubt he cares what I think if his methods.

I like defrancos stuff. The only thing off the top of my head that i don't agree with is his stance on overhead pressing but I doubt he cares what I think if his methods.
Ive generally liked defrancos stuff.
Whatd he say about pressing?

m-might i a-ask w-why?

My problem with defranco is pretty much 100% envy. Well I wouldn't say envy exactly I just don't know the right word

Everyone is always on about how good a trainer he is etc etc. He takes elite athletes and makes them stronger and yup, they are still elite athletes. Did he make the athletes elite in the first place? nope
He basically just took the Westside basic template and added a few bits to it to make it more sports specific. Then called it Westside for Skinny Bastards as if it was the ultimate bulking routine ever. Skinny fucks everywhere start doing it and remain exactly the same because they have no fucking clue what they are doing (I've seen it happen a bunch of times on fitocracy, it's hilarious to see a post about them starting it)
Lastly his whole website is just full of shit like the 10 top myth shit posted above. Holy fucking shit. Add a bunch of fucking obvious tips to your website, train elite athletes and put up a workout template and kids everywhere think you're the goddamn deity of lifting

That being said if he gave me tips I'd listen to him, I just hate his cult-like following Rippetoe is like this as well. In fact most strength coaches are like this. Apart from Pendlay, that guy is a bro and a half

Oh yeah and I forgot about the overhead pressing thing
hahaha holy fuck
maybe if everyone wasn't doing nothing but bench and were not tighter than a 12 year old they'd be able to press a weight overhead with good form

Ah I am pretty sure Defranco trained mostly non elite athletes at the high school and collegiate level for a long time before getting paid big bucks to train elite athletes.

What I was getting at is that he takes pretty much all the glory for training his athletes, despite many of them being trained by other coaches prior to them making a shitload of money and switching to defranco

Anyway, that's enough hate posting for today lol

Takes simple exercises and give them unique Catchy names .. post on interweb..

Go cash in cheques

cheers Trent