• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Coconut water been around for thousands of years, so not a fad (not fade) really, just because westerners have just realised the benefits, of drinking a natural (living as Fadi likes to call it) beverage rather than a sugar loaded sports drink.

Bazza seems to think it's the same as normal water, which it clearly is not, and seems to find fault that for some reason the electrolyte balance is not 100% perfect, then again which food has the perfect balance of ingredients, I think the body is smarter than that (even Bazza's body is probably smarter than what he is), and the body will take what it needs and discard the rest, getting other nutrients and electrolytes from other sources as required.

Not sure what an average trainer is really, if I train I sweat, same as an elite athlete and I also need electrolytes to keep going throughout my day. It's currently 42 degrees in my training area (I just checked it and came inside to hydrate before going out to train, sipping water at the moment) I will be out there in about 30 minutes sweating up a storm, pretty sure I will need electrolytes the same as an elite athlete.

Was hot here yesterday and my lawn really needed doing so I weight myself before doing the lawns, and again after, I lost around 1.3kg of sweat in around 2hrs, and I was sipping water throughout from a 800ml water bottle that I finished off while mowing, so that is around 2.1kg of water or 2.1 litres for the novices that my body 'used up' to keep cool.

Personally I think may be 500ml (may be more, only guessing) of coconut water in addition to my water would have had a good effect on my electrolyte levels, more so than the 800ml of plain old tap water I drank. So no need to be a professional athlete to require a lot of water and electrolytes, just working outdoors in a hot climate will do it.

And all this because my 13 year old daughter likes drinking it... and Bazza thinks the sky is still green :D

PS I just bought another four litres today as stocks were running low at home, beware the wrath of a 13 year old girl:)

Hey Mock.

The research shows it hydrates as good as water.

I said all along if you like it drink it.

Cocount water doesnt have enough sodium or glucose for optimal rehydration. How can the body take what it needs when it's not even there.

It was 45C here. And water seemed to work fine working outside all day.

Hows the black market liver tabs going.

Hey Mock.

The research shows it hydrates as good as water.

I said all along if you like it drink it.

Cocount water doesnt have enough sodium or glucose for optimal rehydration. How can the body take what it needs when it's not even there.

It was 45C here. And water seemed to work fine working outside all day.

Hows the black market liver tabs going.

So because coconut water does not have enough sodium and glucose for optimal hydration you drink something that has even less sodium and no glucose what so ever, and virtually no electrolytes?? As a matter of fact you drink something that will actually speed up the depletion of electrolytes and call it the same??.......yep makes perfect sense....but only to you:p

Straight off the nutritional label

Per serving:

Potassium 948mg, Magnesium 30mg, sodium 129mg, calcium 72mg, phosphorus 60mg

Wonder how plain tap water compares??

Funny thing is I don't even drink the stuff, but I am just always amazed at your lack of understanding of even the most basic concepts of training and nutrition. Everything in your universe seems to be the exact opposite to how it is for the rest of the world, you must live in bizarro world, or opposite world...

Hey Mick, it's not me saying it's no different. Multiple research papers show is rehydrates no better than water. So no not working different to the rest of the world. Unless you have done some peer reviewed work that shows different.

If if you like the taste, drink it that's fine, if you want to believe it's doing something extra special for your body, that's fine too.

Had many more word record temperatures there of late.

I do also find it interesting Mick equates mowing the lawn on a hot day to being an elite athlete.

Last edited:
Straight off the nutritional label

Per serving:

Potassium 948mg, Magnesium 30mg, sodium 129mg, calcium 72mg, phosphorus 60mg

Wonder how plain tap water compares??

The funny thing is the only thing it contains on that label in significant amounts to even worry about is potassium. So don't get too excited. If you are drinking it for rehydration, it contains water which is good but high potassium is not needed. If drinking it for Heath reasons you will be getting plenty of potassium from fruit and veg. Again it's boiling down the only reason here to drink it is because you like the taste.

From WebMD
Coconut water is low in carbohydrates and sodium and rich in potassium, which is not exactly what athletes need when exercising rigorously,
so no Mick I'm not the only one thinking this. Problem is you read and believe advertising material.

NY times
Vita Coco, a leading brand, once boasted that it had 15 times the electrolytes — substances like sodium and potassium that are lost in sweat — in sports drinks. Then a 2011 class-action lawsuit contended that some of the mineral sums on its packages were exaggerated; as part of a settlement, Vita Coco agreed to stop saying that it rehydrated better than sports drinks. “We don’t try to compare ourselves to much of anything anymore,”

so even the coconut water companies are having to remove their claims because research doesn't back it up. So again not just me thinking it.

The one thing going for coconut water and rehydration is you are more likely to drink more of something if you like the taste. So again back to drink it if you like the taste and are happy to pay for it.

So because coconut water does not have enough sodium and glucose for optimal hydration you drink something that has even less sodium and no glucose what so ever, and virtually no electrolytes?? As a matter of fact you drink something that will actually speed up the depletion of electrolytes and call it the same??.......yep makes perfect sense....but only to you:p
Makes perfect sense to me Mick. Also, since when did we need a study for every bloody thing before we give it our tick of approval! Tell that to our great grand mothers and fathers, where they instinctively knew what to eat before some "professional" told them to eat it based on study a, b, or c....

With all the studies in the world and each group using whatever suites them to attack the other group and prove their particular point, the longest/healthiest living people on this planet are scratching their head in wonder and most probably asking; what's all the fuss about with this different groups when it comes to food, the enjoyment of food, and having the right set of attitude to celebrate life as a whole.

I've been adding a scoop of coconut water extract from True Protein into my gym drink bottle. Tastes pretty authentic and I down a whole bottle of that chit twice as fast as plain water, and about the same as if it was True Endurance blend but that has more carbs per serve.

Makes perfect sense to me Mick. Also, since when did we need a study for every bloody thing before we give it our tick of approval! Tell that to our great grand mothers and fathers, where they instinctively knew what to eat before some "professional" told them to eat it based on study a, b, or c....

With all the studies in the world and each group using whatever suites them to attack the other group and prove their particular point, the longest/healthiest living people on this planet are scratching their head in wonder and most probably asking; what's all the fuss about with this different groups when it comes to food, the enjoyment of food, and having the right set of attitude to celebrate life as a whole.

So you will believe the advertising by the companies but not the real world measurements if it actually works. Strange. It's funny if research showed it was better you would happy use that, when it doesn't, who needs research. If you can't measure a benifit, where is the Benifit then. It's pretty simple research measuring rehydration.

So you still carrying on with the dead water nonsense?

Also interesting you say our great grandparents instinctively knew what to eat? Since when, I know from stories from mine that they ate what was available and affordable at the time.

So you will believe the advertising by the companies but not the real world measurements if it actually works. Strange. It's funny if research showed it was better you would happy use that, when it doesn't, who needs research. If you can't measure a benifit, where is the Benifit then. It's pretty simple research measuring rehydration.

So you still carrying on with the dead water nonsense?

Also interesting you say our great grandparents instinctively knew what to eat? Since when, I know from stories from mine that they ate what was available and affordable at the time.
Hey Barry, apparently you're full of wisdom and I'm full of nonsense. Find yourself someone else on the forum who has some sense, as I (according to your intellect), have only nonsense to offer. Before I go, I can assure you that I do not place research ahead of wisdom and real life experiences. Case in point is legumes, or how the so called research is telling people to steer clear based on some of their anti-nutrient factors...similar to greens with a high amount of oxalic acid and how we should be so so careful.

Barry, whilst you are enjoying reading your research, I would be enjoying and reveling in eating the same exact food your research would be advising people not to eat. Tired of going in circular arguments with you as I've pointed out to you in a previous post. All the best to you mate.

The one thing going for coconut water and rehydration is you are more likely to drink more of something if you like the taste. So again back to drink it if you like the taste and are happy to pay for it.

I personally not a huge fan of the taste and prefer water or beer on a hot day.

The cost is neither here or there, at the end of the day a litre of the stuff at the supermarket costs around the same at what most people spend on a single can of energy drink or even just plain old water buying it at the servo or take away shop.

I drink tap water, never bought water, even take my own water bottle to work as I am too tight to buy water when it comes out of my tap for free.

Unfortunately coconut water does not come out of the tap so paying a few $$ will not kill me.

I've been adding a scoop of coconut water extract from True Protein into my gym drink bottle. Tastes pretty authentic and I down a whole bottle of that chit twice as fast as plain water, and about the same as if it was True Endurance blend but that has more carbs per serve.

Saw that the other day looking at their web site, thought it was a strange product.

So does it taste the same once mixed up in water??

Hey Barry, apparently you're full of wisdom and I'm full of nonsense. Find yourself someone else on the forum who has some sense, as I (according to your intellect), have only nonsense to offer. Before I go, I can assure you that I do not place research ahead of wisdom and real life experiences. Case in point is legumes, or how the so called research is telling people to steer clear based on some of their anti-nutrient factors...similar to greens with a high amount of oxalic acid and how we should be so so careful.

Barry, whilst you are enjoying reading your research, I would be enjoying and reveling in eating the same exact food your research would be advising people not to eat. Tired of going in circular arguments with you as I've pointed out to you in a previous post. All the best to you mate.

Don't know what shit youre reading but I haven't seen anything saying we should avoid legumes or greens. If you look hard enough everything contains chemicals which in higher concentrations could be dangerous to us. But still never seen recommendations by peer reviewed research to avoid legumes or greens.

Dont try and down value scientific research by calling it my research. It's nothing to do with me.

If you're tired of replying, why reply.

you still believe all the Isis beheadings are faked, as well as 9/11 being faked.

Last edited:
I would like to apologise to the entire forum but, cough, I have to side with Bazza with this one. Sorry Bazza. Its very unlike me. I'm usually a contrary cuss. Or kuntz. Whatever.

Hey Barry, apparently you're full of wisdom and I'm full of nonsense.

Glad we got that sorted at the get go.

Find yourself someone else on the forum who has some sense,

Done and done.

little_school_boy_student_sitting_desk_one_hand_up_cg1p0924286c_th.jpg

as I (according to your intellect), have only nonsense to offer.

Testify!!!

preaching_in_Church250.jpg

Before I go, I can assure you that I do not place research ahead of wisdom and real life experiences. Case in point is legumes, or how the so called research is telling people to steer clear based on some of their anti-nutrient factors...similar to greens with a high amount of oxalic acid and how we should be so so careful.

dc4.jpg