• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Building the ultimate muscle machine: move your body through space. Program #1.

I am considering starting a new program maybe next week, although, how does everyone think about running/cycling on the days off?
My reply to you would be much more appropriate if you would just tell me (us) about the goal you're striving for in the above mentioned activities. Thank you BigMan.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi, been reading your program and i think i'll give it a go just one question, and someone else might be able to answer it how do you do weighted push ups? I was thinking of using my little bloke but he's at kinder when I train.

Thanks Piotr

You can try wearing a backpack with some weight plates in it, or strap a small child to your back! Whatever works.
Posted via Mobile Device

What Morgan has said about the back-pack Piotr since I find it to be the safest and most reliable option. Thank you.

Fadi.

One more question. How much of a break between sets? I usually take 1 minute (too little too much?)

Thanks in advance Piotr

One more question. How much of a break between sets? I usually take 1 minute (too little too much?)

Thanks in advance Piotr

The time factor is one of the tools we use to increase or decrease the intensity of our workouts without the need of increasing or decreasing the amount of weights used. The only way you're going to keep a tab on what I just shared with you is if you log the time as well as the weights that are applied in your workout.

Please take a look here at reply #13 for an example Piotr, thank you: Fadi on Bodybuilding

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi i noticed you talked about handstand push ups instead of Military press, to do handstand push ups would your military press need to be equivalent to your bodyweight?

Nick

Fadi i noticed you talked about handstand push ups instead of Military press, to do handstand push ups would your military press need to be equivalent to your bodyweight?

Nick

Hello Nick,

I'm not sure that I would use the words "instead of" here, but not everyone is going to either feel comfortable or be able to do bodyweight pushups for more than one reason. Hand stand push-ups would obviously demand lots of strength from the participant and some balance also, even though a wall may be used to lean the feet on.

To answer your question Nick I would have to say yes, your MP would have to be equivalent to your BW. But on the flip side, the wall may take some weight off your BW as would happen if you were to (say) lean on something whilst standing on a scale weighing yourself. The best way to find out where you stand (no pun intended) is to actually try one push up.

To me it's easy but then I used to be a gymnast before I ever touched a weight. So lifting my own bodyweight since the age of 7 was something I became comfortable with.

Let me know how you go please. Thank you.

PS: Always make sure you are fully warmed up before attempting to lift your own bodyweight. So please do raise your body temperature, then get stuck into some stretching before attempting even one (normal) push-up!

Fadi.

Hello Nick,

I'm not sure that I would use the words "instead of" here, but not everyone is going to either feel comfortable or be able to do bodyweight pushups for more than one reason. Hand stand push-ups would obviously demand lots of strength from the participant and some balance also, even though a wall may be used to lean the feet on.

To answer your question Nick I would have to say yes, your MP would have to be equivalent to your BW. But on the flip side, the wall may take some weight off your BW as would happen if you were to (say) lean on something whilst standing on a scale weighing yourself. The best way to find out where you stand (no pun intended) is to actually try one push up.

To me it's easy but then I used to be a gymnast before I ever touched a weight. So lifting my own bodyweight since the age of 7 was something I became comfortable with.

Let me know how you go please. Thank you.

PS: Always make sure you are fully warmed up before attempting to lift your own bodyweight. So please do raise your body temperature, then get stuck into some stretching before attempting even one (normal) push-up!

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi, i'll give it a go later on today, Would it matter in which way i face the wall or not? I was looking on youtube and some people face the wall, others dont.

Thanks,
Nick

Also Nic do not forget there is a range of motion decrease and also an added stability issue that will change the exercises strength needs when compared to the MP. The shorter ROM will lead to not as much strength needed but the added stability needs will make the lift harder to do.

Thanks Dave, ill keep that in mind :)

- I did 2 handstand push ups leaning against the wall, it was tuff, i was facing the wall and my hands were about 30-40cm away from the wall. I think my socks are gripping to the plasta because the top of my toe is sore from sliding (simular to carpet burn) :\ anyone got any ideas what i can use so my feet slide smoothly? i was thinking to get that thin wood ( forgot what its called) its pretty smooth and nail it on the fence outside and do them there.

Thanks Fadi, i'll give it a go later on today, Would it matter in which way i face the wall or not? I was looking on youtube and some people face the wall, others dont.

Thanks,
Nick

Like this please Nick, thank you:
handstand-at-the-wall.jpg

Fadi.

Just wondering Fadi (or anyone else that can help me answer this question) about your workout

Squats - 4 x4-7
Chin ups to the front (wide grip) - 2x 4-7 (are these pulls ups???)
Chin ups (close grip palms facing you) 2x 4-7
Push ups/weighed - 3 x4-7 (Bench Press?)
Romanian pulls - 4 x4-7
Standing military press (exception to the rule) - 3 x4-7
Dips (elbows close by side) - 2 x4-7

Do we perform the pull ups (10x1, 5x2, 4x3...)?

And I was reading your post about having a 'lagging' chest and your fix is to pump the muscle with blood and nutrients by performing ultra-low weight and ultra high reps, can I still incorporate the method into this workout or should I stay away from them until I gain more experience?

Cheers

Stephen

PS. Fadi ~ been reading a lot of your posts tonight (including the past few nights), you are incredibly knowledgeable and accomplished as a lifter and a person. And I am incredibly glad to have stumbled upon this forum. Cheers

Ah you're very kind Stephen, I really appreciate it my friend.

Chin ups to the front (wide grip) - 2x 4-7 (are these pulls ups???)
These are done with a wide grip (wider than shoulder width) just as if you are (say) doing a lat pulldown to the front.

You'll notice I use chin ups and I make a distinction between the hand spacing by saying "close grip". Now that is to place a lot more emphasis on your biceps.

Push ups/weighed - 3 x4-7 (Bench Press?)
No Stephen, no bench press here Sir, just simply push ups with a back pack on your back (with weights of course) to increase th eintensity.

Do we perform the pull ups (10x1, 5x2, 4x3...)?
Just as I wrote in the article Stephen, 2 x 4-7 (that is 2 sets of 4 to 7 reps). I think I've explained it in the article as well that your aim is to get to 7 reps and once you do, you up the intensity slightly and go back down to 4 (and "climb" again back up to 7) and so on. So it's a progressive process Champion.

And I was reading your post about having a 'lagging' chest and your fix is to pump the muscle with blood and nutrients by performing ultra-low weight and ultra high reps, can I still incorporate the method into this workout or should I stay away from them until I gain more experience?
I'd leave it for now until you have few years under your belt Stephen, for only then you'd come to appreciate what muscle are truly lagging behind Sir.

Look after yourself brother.

Fadi.

Great read Fadi.

After doing strength & endurance boxing exercises (with a little bit of weights after) for so long, I am now ready to just do weights soley to gain some muscle.

Going to start with this routine 3 days a week with sets of pushups and abs inbetween workout days:
Squats – 4 x 4-7
Wide Grip Pullups – 2 x 4-7
Chin Ups – 2 x 4-7
Barbell Bench Press – 3 x 4-7
Deadlifts – 3 x 4-7
Standing Military Press – 3 x 4-7
Barbell Curls – 2 x 4-7
French Curls – 2 x 4-7

Wouldn't mind hearing what you think of training particular muscles groups on certain days of the week (once a week train one muscle group). eg chest & tri's on monday, legs on wednesday, etc.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind hearing what you think of training particular muscles groups on certain days of the week (once a week train one muscle group). eg chest & tri's on monday, legs on wednesday, etc.
I've trained the muscle groups you're suggesting twice in 8 days Gunner as in the example below:

Monday:
Chest/shoulders/tris

Tuesday:
Legs

Wednesday:
Back & Biceps

Thursday:
Rest

Friday:
Monday's muscle group

Saturday:
Tuesday's muscle group

Sunday:
Rest

Monday:
Wednesday's muscle groups

etc...

Please take a look at this:
tag.png
What makes a muscle shrink?

Fadi.

I've trained the muscle groups you're suggesting twice in 8 days Gunner as in the example below:

Monday:
Chest/shoulders/tris

Tuesday:
Legs

Wednesday:
Back & Biceps

Thursday:
Rest

Friday:
Monday's muscle group

Saturday:
Tuesday's muscle group

Sunday:
Rest

Monday:
Wednesday's muscle groups

etc...

Please take a look at this:

Fadi.

Thanks mate.

1. I'm doing barbell bench press instead of push ups, should I use the same reps?

2. when dipping am I leaning for the chest or the triceps?

3. this is a three day routine, is every day heavy day?

4. i like to rest about 45 seconds between sets and a minute and a half or two between exercises - is this good?

and thank you Fadi!

Last edited:
1. I'm doing barbell bench press instead of push ups
Now that would defeat the purpose of this whole program if one was to swap push ups with a bench press, they are two different exercises with only one having you move your body through space.

Fadi.