• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Breathing Squats

mameimo

The breathing squats routine featured in the PTC newsletter issue 92 is

breathing squats 1x20
bench press 2x7
romanian deadlift 1x20, 1x10
military press 2x7
t-bar row 3-4 sets

Is the weight for the romanian deadlifts the same for both sets and would i do warmup sets for every exercises?

PTC isn't here anymore. Who do you want to know?
Beginner's program is at top of page.

One change I would make to that would be to make the press the first exercise.

Use the same weight for the dead-lift, make the rest between sets minimal.

The breathing squats routine featured in the PTC newsletter issue 92 is

breathing squats 1x20
bench press 2x7
romanian deadlift 1x20, 1x10
military press 2x7
t-bar row 3-4 sets

Is the weight for the romanian deadlifts the same for both sets and would i do warmup sets for every exercises?

i used to do this routine with markos at PTC, it looks easy but is surprisingly difficult when done properly. rather than adding 2.5kg's after you successfully complete all sets like in a normal program you only need to complete one set before you up the weight by 5kg next session (hope that makes sense) make sure you eat your wheaties cos this program is extremely demanding

also yes the weight is the same on both sets of RDL's. i remember we used to dread them more than the 20 rep squats!

hey hyjak, i read that sometimes breathing squats are coupled with pullovers, did you ever do pullovers after the breathing squats at PTC

i used to do this routine with markos at PTC, it looks easy but is surprisingly difficult when done properly. rather than adding 2.5kg's after you successfully complete all sets like in a normal program you only need to complete one set before you up the weight by 5kg next session (hope that makes sense) make sure you eat your wheaties cos this program is extremely demanding

also yes the weight is the same on both sets of RDL's. i remember we used to dread them more than the 20 rep squats!

so when you say increase the weight by 5kg after completing one set, that's just for the breathing squats right, not the other exercises

Done properly, the squat and deadlift is just plain tough, a lot of back work, I see the row as a waste of time in this instance, fer better to replace this with heavy pullovers.
Presses are better done first when the back is fresh.

Fat bar curls are good for grip, shoulder, wrist and elbow health, done with heavy enough weight, it becomes a full-body exercise.

What do you think?

Done properly, the squat and deadlift is just plain tough, a lot of back work, I see the row as a waste of time in this instance, fer better to replace this with heavy pullovers.
Presses are better done first when the back is fresh.

Fat bar curls are good for grip, shoulder, wrist and elbow health, done with heavy enough weight, it becomes a full-body exercise.

What do you think?

I think you know more then I do.

Barbell rows are my 3rd exercise in the PTC beginner program with squats and bench beforehand so my lower back isn't too 'taxed' at that point. However when l go to OHP after rows though my back is a little tired and then it’s completely fried after deadlifts but that’s how the program is laid out and l don’t want to be messing with it. <--- Just realised that was useless ramble.

Having said that though I’ve switched barbell curls for weighted chins as straight barbell curls with or without Fat Gripz rape my elbows and I was under the impression weighted chins > barbell/preacher curls. I still do preacher/db curls on my assistance day (Saturday) and alternate Fat Gripz on and off each session.

If I didn't drop BOR's though would you recommended me going back to Fat Gripz preacher curl 3 x 8 vs weighted chins 3 x 5?

Edit* Didn't mean to ramble so much so thanks if you read all that. My training log is in my sig as well if you need some more info.

Last edited:
I think most have results have been quite good just following Markos's suggested routines. Doing something else is perfectly fine, it's just that though, something else.

All I can add is just try them and report back, unfortunately this doesn't happen enough on a forum, it becomes to bogged down by; what supplement I should take?, do steroids work?
Silly shit I see in the gym and such.

I find chinups do stuff all for my biceps. I can do 15 in a row @80kg. Other people get good biceps result from chins.

Over the years and trying many exercise for the back, I think the chin-up is not a real good overall back builder.

I believe this is the position one must be in to get most bang for bucks.

cb64f125-460d-3eba.jpg

Leaning forward and pulling from the front, note the position of the hands