• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

box squats and ATG's

Yes Fadi. Suits wraps and belts are all used to increase the amount of weight used. They provide A LOT of assistance.

I did my 200kg back and 195kg front whilst wearing nothing but speedos and the weightlifting belt and shoes, so that should make me feel a litle better now (after all these years)!:)

Ok Nick, how about deadlifts and bench, is it the same here or is the assistance only seen whilst squatting? One more, I'm sorry...

When a powerlifter goes for his/her 1RM in training, do they do it with the "assistance" gear or without? Please excuse my ignorance here Nick.

PS: Nick, have you sat down with Markos and had a very serious discussion about where you're heading with your lifting career? You're going to be 24 in less than a month from now, which means if you want to compete as an Olympic weightlifter, you've got till about 28-34 or there about before injuries and the rest of it take their toll on you. You've got 12 months to the Commonwealth Games, then the London 2012 Olympics as for starters. Have you made a serious decision yet?; because the years will catch up with you quicker than you'll ever imagine big man. Time for some serious contemplation wouldn't you say...

Bye for now and thank you for answering my question.

Fadi.

Last edited:
ive always been under the conclusion that doing 1rpm with assistance is more for powerlifters than BB. Sure its good to use to indicate a starting point in strength to work out your routine and lifts but not indicative of overall strength especially if your wearing a suit/wraps.

Last edited:
ive always been under the conclusion that doing 1rpm with assistance is more for powerlifters than BB. Sure its good to use to indicate a starting point in strength to work out your routine and lifts but not indicative of overall strength especially if your wearing a suit/wraps.

I hear what you're saying Ceffo and although I never belonged to the sport of powerlifting, I think that as long as every lifter is on an equal footing (with regards to the "assistance" gear), then all is fair. It only becomes unfair when a comparison between two weight training sports is made (in my opinion).

It's like some YouTube vids showing a kung fu martial artist challenging a boxer. Both are fighting sport, but everyone can see the inequalities of it all.

Fadi.

I did my 200kg back and 195kg front whilst wearing nothing but speedos and the weightlifting belt and shoes, so that should make me feel a litle better now (after all these years)!:)

Ok Nick, how about deadlifts and bench, is it the same here or is the assistance only seen whilst squatting? One more, I'm sorry...

When a powerlifter goes for his/her 1RM in training, do they do it with the "assistance" gear or without? Please excuse my ignorance here Nick.

PS: Nick, have you sat down with Markos and had a very serious discussion about where you're heading with your lifting career? You're going to be 24 in less than a month from now, which means if you want to compete as an Olympic weightlifter, you've got till about 28-34 or there about before injuries and the rest of it take their toll on you. You've got 12 months to the Commonwealth Games, then the London 2012 Olympics as for starters. Have you made a serious decision yet?; because the years will catch up with you quicker than you'll ever imagine big man. Time for some serious contemplation wouldn't you say...

Bye for now and thank you for answering my question.

Fadi.

For the bench the powerlifters wear bench shirts, which give again give a huge amount of assistance. At the top levels of the sport lifters can gain 150kg or more by using a shirt. Squat and the bench gain huge amounts from equiptment.

Deadlift is not so much, still some assistance from the equiptment but not very much. I cant give you figures fo exactly how much though sorry. Markos may be able to assist more.

As for my lifting career. Well I dont think there is much to discuss to be honest. I lift for fun. Markos' comps just give me purpose and direction to my training. As for the olympic lifting I will compete, but I'm not under any illusion I'm even close to good enough to compete at the Com games, let alone the Olympics. Local comps will be more than enough for me.

Thanks for your interest Fadi. And any advice is appreciated.

I have seen those lifting suits or shirts for bench. They are crazy, they are so tight that they force your arms right forward. There is a fair amount of resistance to bring your arms to the bench position if the bar was on your chest and it springs back up.

For the record, NO ASSISTANCE GEAR IS ALLOWED AT PTC, NO BELT, WRAPS, SHIRT, GLOVES, BITCH PADS, NOTHING.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Last night Simon benched 160kg weighing 106kg....raw.

LOL at Morgan. Thats not 21 reps, thats 2 sets of 8 with 5 on the last, you scared the bejesus out of me, I thought you actually squatted 150kg x 21.

Nice work though.
It's still 21 reps, but not 21 in a row :p

I only started squatting 3 months ago, started on 50kg and have been giving em a good hit for a while now, last night was the first time I have failed to complete 3x8 reps on a given weight, I'll keep working toward completing that last set, then it'll go up to 155kg, however... I'm 120kg, still new to squats, so 150kg isn't that impressive.

That is great effort Morgan. When you say just below parrellel how low are you talking? Are they ATG? Do you feel like it is as low as you can go? I know some people have issues with flexibility.
I'm 195cm tall, I am for parallel as a bare minimum, If I was going lighter I could probably go ATG but I don't want to stress my knees (Left in particular) generally when going parallel, I get to JUST below it as I can't stop it, 150kg is feeling heavy lol.

I could PROBABLY go lower, but parallel is fine for me.

Well in that case Morgan, I benched 150kg x 1,098 reps, not in a row though lol and I squatted 180kg x 1,546,876 times

For the bench the powerlifters wear bench shirts, which give again give a huge amount of assistance. At the top levels of the sport lifters can gain 150kg or more by using a shirt. Squat and the bench gain huge amounts from equiptment.

Deadlift is not so much, still some assistance from the equiptment but not very much. I cant give you figures fo exactly how much though sorry. Markos may be able to assist more.

As for my lifting career. Well I dont think there is much to discuss to be honest. I lift for fun. Markos' comps just give me purpose and direction to my training. As for the olympic lifting I will compete, but I'm not under any illusion I'm even close to good enough to compete at the Com games, let alone the Olympics. Local comps will be more than enough for me.

Thanks for your interest Fadi. And any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for helping me out with these answers champion and I wish you the very best in which ever direction you want to take your lifting. You've got a great gift. Take care.

Fadi.

Here is my squat session for today.

60kg x 10
80kg x 10
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 3
150kg x 3
160kg x 3
170kg x 3
180kg x 2 (Failed rep 3)
140kg x 20

All reps ATG none of this "search for parallel" rubbish.

I love my squats.

Yeah, hardcore alright, i bet that 20 repper felt awesome.
PS i love squats too.

At the time they felt f**king horrible! Rep 1-10 was feeling good, rep 11-15 was tough as and rep 16-20 were just damn painful. The only good thing about 20 rep squats is the feeling of accomplishment when you complete them, its awesome.

At the time they felt f**king horrible! Rep 1-10 was feeling good, rep 11-15 was tough as and rep 16-20 were just damn painful. The only good thing about 20 rep squats is the feeling of accomplishment when you complete them, its awesome.

Feeling Awesome is way an understatement Nick...:). Now begin to think 30 and 20 will be something of the past...and bloody easy too! First conquer it with your mind then go to war.

Well done Champion.

Fadi.