• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

box squats and ATG's

i do them both, on different days of course. When you use a box ceffo what hight is it?

my left knee is ****ed, sometimes i cant squat any further than a box without discomfort so i use a milk crate at home which is about 30cm. if i ever get my knee right i'll definitely squat lower

Ass to ground.

I squat ATG. It is the only way to do it in my opinion. I have recently made the switch from going to parrellel to going ATG (well as far as my flexibility allows) I had to drop a heap of weight off my squat, but now it feels like I am actually doing something.

I have found that I had to gradually build up my hip drive because I was getting a little discomfort at first. I have never done box squats, I would imagine this helps you with your power out of the hole?

ahh...
i would love to ATG if my back doesnt round...
have to work more on my hip flexibility to be able to squat lower

I found that after watching Ripptoe's squat techniques on Youtube really helped me out. He gives some good points.

Do you guys know what a box squat is and WHY you SHOULD include them in your training.

I'm guessing the answer is no lol

The box squat is designed to help you come out of the hole. So many lifters are pissweak in the hole, it amazes me.

With a box squat, you sit and stop DEAD on the box, no momentum, you then flex to stand up, try it some time lol

Its EXACTLY the same thing as pausing on your chest on the bench press, it knocks 10-15kg off most lifters total, so they avoid it and stay weak.

I hope you guys dont think using a box as a height indicator and using touch and go is a box squat lol

For the record, I did a box squat to a 29cm box with 180kg, a dead stop, then stood up, at 90kg bodyweight.

Try that and tell me it wont help your squats firing out of the bottom.

Unless you are squatting at least 140kg for a man, I wouldnt bother with them yet, get strong first, then use more advanced techniques.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys that have already posted can squat 140kg?

Well this is all speculation but I reckon 140kg would be around my 1RM in squat. Last night I did 6 reps of 120kg ATG. I was "squatting" 140kg previous to cleaning up my squat (dropped back to 90kg to get ATG technique right) and was not even reaching parrellel. 155kg squat would be 2x BW for me. Do you think that has any relevance in judging strength on squat?

As for box squat, what heights should be used? I am sure it is relative to height?

Thats a good squat Josh. Try a 1RM, I promise it wont kill you.

We use a 42cm bench, 33 cm box, 29cm box and have gone down to 15cm box, my wife Nina squatted 70kg to 15cm blocks.

We use the 42cm bench for overload, then we work down, the 29cm box is well below parallel, and a legal squat at PTC.

Double bodyweight squats are a great effort, and what I consider to be strong.

Your 77kg obviously, so a 155kg squat would be great.

We used the overload principle with Max recently. He did 250kg 1/4 squats, then 165kg bench squats, then he smashed his PB with a 155kg squat @ 68kg.

He squatted 150kg last night, he came up so fast the bar jumped off his back by a few cm. You will see the footage shortly in the new video, amazing.

He squats in no-no-no fashion, no wraps, no belt, no spotters, off squat stands, not inside a power rack.

Does anyone still think that box squatting is no good?

Well there is a challenge. Next time squatting I will try a 1RM with 140kg.

I have decided to not use any straps or belts for squatting/deadlifts though I still have my brother behind me ready as a spotter just in case.

So Max's 165kg bench squat was on the 42cm bench?

Is there any special technique you need to use performing box squats? I imagine you would need to be pretty careful with the back? As long as you have a good arch and have shoulders back and drive from the hips is this sufficient?

Yes, lots of questions. Sorry. haha

markos i squat to a 27cm box with 80kgs for 3x10 (pause and go) and im 100kgs, i dont know what my 1rm is i havnt tried in over 2months now.

I am asuming your 1RM would have been over 140kg 2 months ago toasted?

With a box squat,its not a pause. You sit down like your taking a crap, or a piss for some of you guys. Totally relax, then reflex to stand up, not pause and go, thats using a box for a height indicator.

Max was only squatting 145kg before embarking on our overload principle. The 42cm bench squat of 165kg was good effort. He sits down completely and totally relaxes, then re flexes and stands up, not pause and go.

Only do 2-5 reps on box squats.

If your using the box as a height indicator and just pausing, do as many as you like.

Toasted, just keep going big fella, as long as your squatting and increasing the weights whenever possible, your going the right way.

Fat Dave started with an 80kg PB on the 15-12-08.

He squatted 170kg PB on the 22-08-09.

He squats 3-4 times a week, lifts at PTC 6 days 7 sessions a week. (twice on Thursday).

He has reduced from 108kg down to 100kg in that period

He has also squatted 60kg x 120 and 140kg x 20

Last edited:
haha fat dave sounds like me.

I started with a PB of 55kgs on 3 March 09

Last 1rm was 125kgs in mid June

and i have dropped from 107 to 98-100kg (which was my main goal at the start)

3.jpg

Max 165kg bench squat @ 68kg. The bench is 42cm high

120.jpg

Ryan 140kg box squat @ 92kg. The box is 29cm high

See how both lifters are sitting relaxed on the box

They are some good lifts. that lift by shorty is nuts. Also with that photo of Matt, does he always hold the bar so wide, is there any advantage with such a wide grip or just what ever feels comfortable?

Its just an issue of comfort and flexibility. Most heavy weights go wide. Matt used to weigh 144kg, he is now 108kg.

I think Shorty recently squatted 200kg at the nationals, in his suit, wraps and belt though.