• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

box squats and ATG's

I see you use no padding when the bar is sitting across the traps, I need to harden up. haha

Your f u c k i n g joking right?

Not even the girls are allowed a bitch pad when squatting, it is a definite no no.

The guys from nissansilvia.com bought me one as a joke, very funny motherf u c k e r s

I always use the padding at my gym.

Is there a reason behind no padding? Or is it kind of like not wearing gloves?

i think the reason ive seen box squats performed wrong hence my thread is because some people use it as a touch and go indicator.

Ive always considered the stciking point to be when just before u come out of the bottom (ATG) back to parrallel on squats. Not the halfway mark to full extension.

might have a closer look into this to add some variety.

I don't use a pad, since I find it makes me sloppy in how I place the bar, and makes it harder to make sure the bar is balanced - I use the hatching in the middle as my guide on my neck/traps for ensuring it's in the middle.

But then, I am very far from squatting heavy, maybe I would feel differently with 150kg on my back ;)

max ive done for 6 reps was 130kg. But by that time i HAD to use a foam. The metal started leaving marks on my traps. Looked like somebody had massaged my traps way too much.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys that have already posted can squat 140kg?
I did 21 reps tonight on 150kg, I was going for 3 sets of 8 (Strict 1min45sec rest) but failed a few short on my last set. that's with my thighs going JUST below parallel

That is great effort Morgan. When you say just below parrellel how low are you talking? Are they ATG? Do you feel like it is as low as you can go? I know some people have issues with flexibility.

This is me 12 months ago at the bottom of a successfull 175kg squat at one of PTC's comp. I hope to make 200kg at the next one in a few weeks. I love my ATG squats.
index.php

Last edited:
LOL at Morgan. Thats not 21 reps, thats 2 sets of 8 with 5 on the last, you scared the bejesus out of me, I thought you actually squatted 150kg x 21.

Nice work though.

That's how I read it at first, too. I have got to improve my reading comprehension skills. 21x 150kg, I would throw up just watching that.

Ah shit I am guilty as well.

That's why I was questioning. Very nice lifts by the way. How many x body weight?

Its just an issue of comfort and flexibility. Most heavy weights go wide. Matt used to weigh 144kg, he is now 108kg.

I think Shorty recently squatted 200kg at the nationals, in his suit, wraps and belt though.

Markos,

This whole issue of boxed squats is foreign to me to be honest. But I do have a question for you please: does wearing of the suit and placing the wraps etc increase the lifter's lifts? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Fadi.

Yes Fadi. Suits wraps and belts are all used to increase the amount of weight used. They provide A LOT of assistance.