• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

body-building versus strength training, differences in approach

i think the main difference between the two is how much volume you do.. trying to get strong as possible you'd ideally be doing less volume so you can recover fast enough to lift again, and volume is the #1 variable when it comes to muscular overload (ie growth)

put it this way:
5x10 at 100kg = 5000kg volume
3x3 at 150kg = 1350kg volume

so the guy doing 5x10 gets more overall volume and thus overloads more than the dude doing 3x3

however you wouldn't make much strength gains doing 5x10 all the time so throwing in some strength work to up your strength in the higher rep work would be the best option

My opinion is that body building is essential in strength training. Purely for the reason so that when I tell someone I lift 120kg, I don't get laughed at.....Need to look the part.

I think that the majority of a strength athletes training should be "body building" work to push up the strength ceiling. I also think that body build and strength training are practically the same thing - you're just chasing an 8RM instead of a 1RM. There are other methods that increase hypertrophy as you know like changing the speed of negatives, special exercises and whatnot but I like to keep it simple

I think simple is best and I believe you find what works and what's fun.

0ni, I'm not really into any one dictum, just hard training done safe.

I incorperate both styles into my training program. Start off with my heavy lifts first, Squat and bench on mon-fri Deads and presses on wed. Then afterwards I will incorperate hypertrophy exercises into my program. I like bodyweight movements so there will always be some sort of bodyweight training as well as some other hypertrophy movements. This has worked well for me so far

I have recently stopped taking it so seriously. I still train very hard when im in the gym and I still get there four times a week( four day split) and I try and eat well but ive stopped being so serious about. If I miss a workout or even a week, who cares. I find whenever i get really serious about my training I stop enjoying it and eventually I lose motivation.

I am sure I could be making better strength and size gains if I stayed serious but at this point in my life i am content in knowing that lifting four times a week is a hell of a lot better than lifting no times a week. I mean I am only training for my own well being, im no athlete or sportsman so why let it rule my life.

Thats my approach these days, I am really enjoying it.