• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

body-building versus strength training, differences in approach

If we are comparing pro BBs to elite powerlifters i agree with some of this but even then there are still plenty of similarities. If we are talking about average joe lifters wanting get stronger or just get bigger to impress the chicks your way off the mark.

Sure Bazza, most lifters never quite get what it is that they are trying to do so they follow a path somewhere down the middle but that's not really what the discussion was about.

As a simple example, if you got Sticky to teach a beginner how to bench it would be a very different session to if you got a bodybuilder to do it. The body position would be different, the direction of the force on the bar would be different. This would suggest to me that the differences actually appear as soon as you choose one path or the other.

Sure Bazza, most lifters never quite get what it is that they are trying to do so they follow a path somewhere down the middle but that's not really what the discussion was about.

As a simple example, if you got Sticky to teach a beginner how to bench it would be a very different session to if you got a bodybuilder to do it. The body position would be different, the direction of the force on the bar would be different. This would suggest to me that the differences actually appear as soon as you choose one path or the other.

Not at all. You can have set goals but unless you are at the elite end of the spectrum your training is still going to be similar. Sure there are going to be some differences but they will be minor in the scheme of things. It's definitly not complete opposites like you suggested.

By not allowing the muscles to fully recover between sets and thus forcing you to recruit more fibers to perform the next set. (in principle i believe)..?

so your just exhausting yourself going down in weight/reps every set, doesn't sound very effective..?
btw i generally rest 1.5-3.5 minutes depending on exercise

Frankly, I couldn't give a shit whether the trainee is beginner, intermediate or supr hero.
I'm sick of reading this here.

A way to look at it is over a years time.

Hit it hard for 3 months on the basics.

Bodybuild for a month, address injuries or weak points, just allow yourself time to rebuild enthusiasm.

Hit it again for 3 months, etc..

Diet during your months reprieve.

Frankly, I couldn't give a shit whether the trainee is beginner, intermediate or supr hero.
I'm sick of reading this here.

A way to look at it is over a years time.

Hit it hard for 3 months on the basics.

Bodybuild for a month, address injuries or weak points, just allow yourself time to rebuild enthusiasm.

Hit it again for 3 months, etc..

Diet during your months reprieve.

Does this depend on your goals though? ..
for example, I'd like to be able to deadlift 200KG as a matter of principle :), but i'm never going to enter a competition and i'm probably not going to encounter real world scenarios where a greater deadlift is useful, so i don't have a lot of reason to push past that point....

not going to encounter real world scenarios where a greater deadlift is useful,

What like anytime you have to pick something up off the ground? Spose if you owned a forklift there wouldn't really be any benefit to strengthening your lower back as much as possible, but then you still have to pick up the gas bottles to fuel the thing.

Does this depend on your goals though? ..
for example, I'd like to be able to deadlift 200KG as a matter of principle :), but i'm never going to enter a competition and i'm probably not going to encounter real world scenarios where a greater deadlift is useful, so i don't have a lot of reason to push past that point....

This is the kicker.

200kg is a good goal, when you are deadlifting for rep's 200kg, your going to be strong, you're going to look strong.

For some it may take longer to reach that goal, most young kids want to deadlift 200kg overnight, they can't wait, they don't want to pay their dues.

One of the by-products of lifting weight is getting stronger.

And I don't think it depends on "goals" at all.

What like anytime you have to pick something up off the ground? Spose if you owned a forklift there wouldn't really be any benefit to strengthening your lower back as much as possible, but then you still have to pick up the gas bottles to fuel the thing.

How many of those are over 200KG? :)

Not at all. You can have set goals but unless you are at the elite end of the spectrum your training is still going to be similar. Sure there are going to be some differences but they will be minor in the scheme of things. It's definitly not complete opposites like you suggested.

Fair enough. The opposites was in respect of the two approaches. One wants to make it feel difficult and the other wants to make it feel easy. I know they will look similar and may overlap in rep ranges. I just think that two guys side by side doing sets of 6 on bench press can actually be doing very different things.

I expected someone to bite when I posted it because it was not the same as what everyone else had said so far.

Fair enough. The opposites was in respect of the two approaches. One wants to make it feel difficult and the other wants to make it feel easy. I know they will look similar and may overlap in rep ranges. I just think that two guys side by side doing sets of 6 on bench press can actually be doing very different things.

I expected someone to bite when I posted it because it was not the same as what everyone else had said so far.

I would consider variations in technique in some exercises pretty minor. The basics are still going to be the same, you need to add weight to the bar or be adding reps.

So Fluffy in his "dark-side" thread suggests doing "a little bodybuilding".

What do you ladies and gentlemen and powerlifters consider to be the essential differences between a body-building approach and a strength-training approach to hoisting the iron?

I've always suggested that a little bodybiulding be done From time to time.

And I'll elucidate later.

I think that the majority of a strength athletes training should be "body building" work to push up the strength ceiling. I also think that body build and strength training are practically the same thing - you're just chasing an 8RM instead of a 1RM. There are other methods that increase hypertrophy as you know like changing the speed of negatives, special exercises and whatnot but I like to keep it simple

how will shorter rest increase muscle hypertrophy?

so your just exhausting yourself going down in weight/reps every set, doesn't sound very effective..?
btw i generally rest 1.5-3.5 minutes depending on exercise

I share your thoughts here Playa (which doesn't please me, just quietly).

I've been interested to read a few guys mentioning 30-45 seconds rest between sets. It's got me stuffed how you can have a proper level of resistance in the following set with such a short break. You can't possibly be lifting as much as if u had 2 minutes rest. The most obvious benefit to me would be cardiovascular.....not sure if it's the optimal approach for hypertrophy though.