• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

body-building versus strength training, differences in approach

So Fluffy in his "dark-side" thread suggests doing "a little bodybuilding".

What do you ladies and gentlemen and powerlifters consider to be the essential differences between a body-building approach and a strength-training approach to hoisting the iron?

I've always suggested that a little bodybiulding be done From time to time.

And I'll elucidate later.

What do you ladies and gentlemen and powerlifters consider to be the essential differences between a body-building approach and a strength-training approach to hoisting the iron?

SNAP!!!!:eek:

Slowly backs out of the room before all hell breaks loose...

Both are closely intertwined IMO.... Will be back later if thread stays on track....

Ha you've called me out goose man, I was waiting for your and Darkoz's input into my thread. I think they are very similar training styles and I am adament getting bigger means getting stronger as well. I firmly believe the biggest difference is 'bodybuilders' (and I use the term loosely) are more concerned about staying lean and working the smaller muscle groups so they balance more with the bigger muscle groups, think calves and forearms.

I just want to do somethig different with my training for a little while return to where it all began with a muscle group split with four exercises for 4-5 sets each in the 8 -10 rep range.

Now please elucidate me you wise old bugger.

Train for big muscles by smashing every fibre in the muscle you are training by using varying tempos and movements and using the weight as a tool.

Train for strength by lifting as much as possible.

Ha

Last edited:
My thoughts on this are in my 'thoughts on training thread'.

Both have their place and I believe the best gains can be made by incorporating both.

I think pure bodybuilding style training is 'all for show', in that you aren't really building that much functional strength. But pure strength training can increase your risk of injury and I don't think is really a good option for longevity. Plus, it doesn't allow you to sculpt your body (if you are into that).

If you just want to loook a certain way and don't care about strength, then do pure bodybuilding. If you just want to be a strong mofo, and don't care about potentially getting injured or how you'll look, do pure strength training.

If you want to look good and have functional strength, do a bit of both.

I would say at the beginner to intermediate levels which most of us are at the differences are minimal.

There is a lot of overlap with rep ranges but with building muscle as the main goal have more focus on getting stronger in the 10 rep range. If 1 rep strength is the main goal, more focus would be on the 1-5 rep range for main exercises with 10 rep range for assistance.

I would say at the beginner to intermediate levels which most of us are at the differences are minimal.

There is a lot of overlap with rep ranges but with building muscle as the main goal have more focus on getting stronger in the 10 rep range. If 1 rep strength is the main goal, more focus would be on the 1-5 rep range for main exercises with 10 rep range for assistance.

+1

They are complete opposites.

Bodybuilders attempt to make the exercise as difficult as possible. They isolate muscles, they pre-exhaust, they do massive volume, they put every effort into eradicating all incidental assistance that they can, to force the target muscle to work and adapt.

Powerlifters attempt to make the exercise as easy as possible. They try to use the entire system to get the bar moving in the direction that they want. They get the lats into a bench press, they create "tightness" through the entire body to trap energy and then transfer that through the torso to where it's needed.

They are almost as different as two things that look similar can be. Same movement but very different approach to moving the bar.

Ha you've called me out goose man, I was waiting for your and Darkoz's input into my thread. I think they are very similar training styles and I am adament getting bigger means getting stronger as well. I firmly believe the biggest difference is 'bodybuilders' (and I use the term loosely) are more concerned about staying lean and working the smaller muscle groups so they balance more with the bigger muscle groups, think calves and forearms.

I just want to do somethig different with my training for a little while return to where it all began with a muscle group split with four exercises for 4-5 sets each in the 8 -10 rep range.

Now please elucidate me you wise old bugger.

I'm not sure about Our training styles fluff, I'm more about effacy, more abbreviated than volume.
Having said that, darkoz, like myself are still enjoying lifting and responding to it, maybe the progress is not as profound as it was when we where juniors?

I agree with your thoughts.

What I think it means is throw in the old Barbell Curl and stuff like that from time to time. Still simple.

Actually - When I say bodybuilding, I mean take a more relaxed approach. Something like curls, pullovers, stiff-leg dead lifts, front squats, calf work, wrist curls, neck work, and anything you can imagine with dumbbells.

Nothing special or extreme, just a break from the bare bones basics.

Still easily accomplished with your home gym of a weight set, flat bench and squat racks. (a pair of dumbbell handles are always a plus)

I'm unclear on this TUL and what not.

I doubt that your muscles know the difference, or if there is a quantifiable way to measure your muscles to know if you're power lifting, Olympic lifting, body building or weight training.

You lift, you rest, you eat. Wait a day or two.

You lift a little more, (reps, sets or more weight) you rest, you eat.

Wait a day or two again. Pretty simple.

What do you think about that?

Bodybuilders attempt to make the exercise as difficult as possible. They isolate muscles, they pre-exhaust, they do massive volume, they put every effort into eradicating all incidental assistance that they can, to force the target muscle to work and adapt.

Powerlifters attempt to make the exercise as easy as possible. They try to use the entire system to get the bar moving in the direction that they want. They get the lats into a bench press, they create "tightness" through the entire body to trap energy and then transfer that through the torso to where it's needed.

They are almost as different as two things that look similar can be. Same movement but very different approach to moving the bar.
^ this, very much so
You took the thoughts right out of head bull

If we are comparing pro BBs to elite powerlifters i agree with some of this but even then there are still plenty of similarities. If we are talking about average joe lifters wanting get stronger or just get bigger to impress the chicks your way off the mark.

Although I agree that, that! Is what most think, I disagree that this is how it should be.
Whether it should be or not Goosey, that's how it is
To keep things simple here and not get bogged down in details, the two are different in that one is concentrating to work the muscle, while the other is mainly concerned in working the lift as efficiently as possible.

Last edited:
Isn't it mainly just...

30sec-1min between sets, 5-12 reps Vs

3-10 mins between sets, 1-5 reps

Whether it should be or not Goosey, that's how it is

I went back to look at bully's post and noticed that what you had in bold is perfect.

PL's look for ways to improve leverages because the three lifts they do are apart of the sport they compete in, and they practice those lifts over and over improving their skill.

I went back to look at bully's post and noticed that what you had in bold is perfect.

PL's look for ways to improve leverages because the three lifts they do are apart of the sport they compete in, and they practice those lifts over and over improving their skill.

It's the bold part that I was referring to Goosey

+2 definitely