• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Benching for Oly lifts

[MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; can you remove the off-topic stuff and put in it's own thread

Benching for Oly lifts

Good topic we should keep it going.

Maybe, when I jerk I don't really push the bar up with my arms, I drive with the legs off the shoulders then drop (push myself) under. The bar only goes up to about the top of my head, the rest is me dropping under the bar before it comes back down

I don't get it either, but that's what some say
I don't see a problem with it of its used as an accessory if the individual needs more upper body strength..

I don't get it either, but that's what some say
I don't see a problem with it of its used as an accessory if the individual needs more upper body strength..

I personally won't program it for the people I train. If they need more upper body strength I give them pull ups, presses, Pendlay rows or bent rows

You guys wear Olympic weightlifting shoes for benching?? Seriously, why?

Do you wear a belt for curls in the squat rack too?

I only did because I couldn't be bothered changing shoes. A common workout for me in my last gym was bench then snatch deadlifts. The shoes didn't help me bench in any way because I didn't keep my heels on the ground anyway.

I was always half dreading than an actual weightlifter or powerlifter who knew about shoes would come in and see me benching in my bright red Adipowers and think I was a retard.

Oh yeah, something to note about these shoes - you will constantly get old men in the gym asking you what they are and where you got them. Probably not a concern if you're lucky enough to lift in a proper WL or PL gym

What the fuck is going on
Benching is great for the Olympic lifts. It strengthens the arms very effectively. Also there is no way in hell that benching will make your chest so tight that stretching won't fix it. Fuck off with that shit. If you can't jerk as much as you can clean then you're a retard for not doing everything you can to jerk better. Surprise surprise, this means getting stronger with benching and pressing from a multitude of angles and working on the initial drive

Benching is great for the Olympic lifts. It strengthens the arms very effectively. Also there is no way in hell that benching will make your chest so tight that stretching won't fix it. Fuck off with that shit. If you can't jerk as much as you can clean then you're a retard for not doing everything you can to jerk better. Surprise surprise, this means getting stronger with benching and pressing from a multitude of angles and working on the initial drive

Rightio...

"My weightlifters very rarely bench press. First and foremost, they rarely need to. While the bench is a good upper body pressing strength exercise, it’s not high on the priority list because there are exercises more specific to lifting that come first such as the push press, snatch push press and press. Second, with the overhead demands of weightlifting, the shoulders need to be taken care of. Bench pressing is rough on the shoulders for most people—if it’s not a high-priority exercise, it doesn’t make sense to beat up the shoulders with it. Third, shoulder and upper back mobility is critical for weightlifters and the bench press will very quickly reduce shoulder mobility without extremely diligent balancing exercises and stretching, which can be difficult to enforce to the extent necessary." - Greg Everett

If you're not sure who Greg Everett is, google him, the books and articles he has written, the club he runs and how he is regarded in the industry by other Olympic lifting coaches. While posting a clip of one Olympic lifter bench pressing really rams home a solid point, I'm still going to go with personal experience and what Greg has written here...

As i said, I don't see a problem with it, though I'm not a coach, nor do I write program's.

Though arm strength is kind of not really what an oly lifter is chasing, so not sure how valid that point is...

I've posted a similar topic on pendlay, and Glenn himself, said he doesn't have an issue with bench as an accessory with the right individual

Greg Everett hasn't produced a single decent weightlifter
Many other weightlifters bench also. Klokov benches 160kg for reps, Pendlay says his athletes bench, the Chinese do lots of dips. As a novice, you need to get STRONG. Jerks will only get you so good at jerking and pressing progresses slowly

Bottom line, the bench will drive up all pressing and jerking exercises

I think you'll find Pendlay doesn't have his athletes do bench, unless they are kids, novice, or as Swervyn-Ervyn said, for the right athlete. He doesn't just prescribe to every athlete that walks through the door as you are suggesting

I believe you'll find that pressing will improve your bench, not the other way around.

As I said, I'm going to go with personal experience (which was what my post was all about in the first place) and what Greg has written fits with what I have found personally. If you want to bench, snatch and clean and jerk, then go for it, let me know how it works out for you.

Just out of interest, what is your best snatch (full snatch, not power) and best clean and jerk (full clean, not power, and split jerk)?

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to 0ni again.