• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but I am going to give this a crack for 3 months. How often should i be adding weight? Each session until I stall as per Starting Strength, or progressively add each new week?

Cheers

depends on your current lifts and lifting experience. When i did it, i started over with empty bar on all lifts and went up 2.5 per session, then when that slowed up did 2.5 a week. Obviously different lifts will start to slow at different times.

The 3 big keys here are recovery (sleep/food), patience and consistency.

depends on your current lifts and lifting experience. When i did it, i started over with empty bar on all lifts and went up 2.5 per session, then when that slowed up did 2.5 a week. Obviously different lifts will start to slow at different times.

Brilliant, thanks.

I'm not experienced at all. After years of piss farting around here and there but never really sticking to a solid program, I have committed properly and been doing Starting Strength for approx 3 months, I am switching up to this program for 3 months based on some advice earlier in this thread, then I'll return to Starting Strength.

I have to ask, is it just me who has girly shoulders? Not that my other lifts are anything special but my Shoulder Press is downright embarrassing...lol.

yep, same here. I reached the 140 squat / 180 dead goals and still only had like 50 ohp max.

Start it over with empty bar and your lifts will rocket up. Its like dare devils on their motorbike jumps over a bus... gotta drive on the flat for a while and use the whole ramp. Cant expect to start half way up the ramp and get anywhere significant.

Wingman is good to point out that it's sleep and not rest, that is key here.

Currently doing 3 X 5 and trying to cut at the same time so have pretty much maxed out on everything. Was thinking of giving this one a go, should I reduce my weights by 10%/20% etc to allow for the extra reps?

Cheers

Currently doing 3 X 5 and trying to cut at the same time so have pretty much maxed out on everything. Was thinking of giving this one a go, should I reduce my weights by 10%/20% etc to allow for the extra reps?

Cheers

3x5 is a better choice while cutting imo, you want to maintain the heaviest weights you can (to spare muscle) while reducing bodyfat.

Cheers

Yup what semi said.... 3x5 would be preferable but not mandatory...3x5 is more conducive for those of us cutting without the aid of special chemical helpers...

As for the deload.? Yes definitely need to deload....and start from a Lighter weight...

It will be tough to do the higher reps and you should see your conditioning greatly improve... I have found that it carries over extremely well when you switch back to 3x5...

Tried the program last night and it kicked my arse. Have been doing 3 x 5 for roughly 5 months but found this program a real killer trying to push out the extra reps even with the lighter weight. I took shorter rest periods too and was huffing and puffing at the end of it.

I'm doing Tough Mudder in 6 months and I think with the added rep range and the shorter rests, it will help my conditioning greatly.

Thanks

This sounds hideously sexist, but my wife wants to start some strength training. Should any mods be made to this program for her or can she give it a go as is?

This sounds hideously sexist, but my wife wants to start some strength training. Should any mods be made to this program for her or can she give it a go as is?

My wife has been doing it for about 2 weeks, squats need some work but she's loving it otherwise.

She can follow it as its written...

It is well.established that women should train like men...

Squat

Bench

OHP

Deadlift

For maximum results in both strength and aesthetics...

'Full' situps are generally bad for the lower back. By full situps i mean back flat on floor, raise till head touches knees or as close as u can get. Since the purpose of doing a situp is to work the abs, you should do the alternative - the crunch.

The positioning is the same however instead of going all the way up, u lift ur back off the floor and move towards ur knees just until u feel ur abs thighten (contract) and then u hold for a bet and slowy release, lowering ur back to the floor. This removes the strain on the back somewhat.

Also be careful not to use your arms on the back of your head to pull yourself up. This places great pressure on your neck, and isnt very good for you at all.

alternatively running and swimming is better for your abs

Id prob just swap the curls for chinups. In fact id prob suggest that for most guys too.

Tried the program last night and it kicked my arse. Have been doing 3 x 5 for roughly 5 months but found this program a real killer trying to push out the extra reps even with the lighter weight. I took shorter rest periods too and was huffing and puffing at the end of it.

I'm doing Tough Mudder in 6 months and I think with the added rep range and the shorter rests, it will help my conditioning greatly.

Thanks

Hang in there and deload the weights further if it is to much of a struggle now...

Also starting lower will give you more room to add weight every workout... This program is tougher then it looks...

When you switch back to 3x5 you will notice a significant difference...

Hey all,

so just splurged out on a Force Rack, Bench, Oly Barbell, Oly Dumbbells and 200kgs of weights.

Looking forward to starting this routine and hopefully sticking to it. I am hoping that will help me with getting my lung fuction up. (i have Cystic Fibrosis).

I am also hoping to get a Boxing bag as well as doing some running to improve my endurace as well as try and boost my O2 intake and get by without struggling.

At the moment my goal is to run the Westpac Staoir Climb in under 5 minutes. :)

Will be setting a log up later :)

Hey all,

so just splurged out on a Force Rack, Bench, Oly Barbell, Oly Dumbbells and 200kgs of weights.

Looking forward to starting this routine and hopefully sticking to it. I am hoping that will help me with getting my lung fuction up. (i have Cystic Fibrosis).

I am also hoping to get a Boxing bag as well as doing some running to improve my endurace as well as try and boost my O2 intake and get by without struggling.

Good luck man...

Look forward to seeing your progress!!!

Hey all,

Nice work. I bought the Force rack at the end of the year and works a treat. This workout or the 3 X 5 work well.

I also do some boxing and if you are interested, google around and try and find the Bas Rutten workout tapes, they are unreal. There are numerous programs.

Boxing - 2 minute rounds
Boxing - 3 minute rounds
Thai Boxing - 2 minute rounds
Thai Boxing - 3 minute rounds
All Round Fighting (Thai Boxing, plus sprawls, grappling etc)
All Round workout (Body weight routine, squats, jumping squats, lunges, pushups, sprawls, boxing, hill climbers etc) A real killer.

With the boxing/thai boxing, Bas yells combinations to follow and will really help with technique.

Good luck.