• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
All the best ernie, I'm new too and doing starting strength but will be switching to this when I get stuck on SS.

Snoochies, are those videos boxing with a bag? Got any recommendations for sparing like boxercise classes?

Hey fellas,

I posted on here a while ago about getting bigger but gave it away as a result of sickness...
All thats done and dusted now, and Im still sick of being that little runt.

When I first started I was at 55kg, I got up to 64kg or near there and now im back at 58kg.

It begins...again...

Hey fellas,

I posted on here a while ago about getting bigger but gave it away as a result of sickness...

When I first started I was at 55kg, I got up to 64kg or near there and now im back at 58kg.

It begins...again...

Don't worry man, just keep moving forward! At least your 3kgs up on last time!

Hey fellas,

It begins...again...

Start eating lots of fats, easy way to get the calories up, bag of almonds at your desk, add oil to everything, eat peanut butter regularly.

and the obvious one keep training heavy compounds at least 3x a week and with some time you will grow!

keep a food log, you might eat great somedays but if the average over the entire week is down, then yeah thats your issue.

God speed.

Hey fellas,

It begins...again...

Your stats are similar to where I started out...only heavier. The program in the original post here would be good for you. Stick to that, eat good food, and eat enough of it to gain 0.25-0.5kg/week (1-2kg/month), and you'll be on the road to gainsville.

Starting the posted beginners program as of yesterday, thanks for posting it PTC.

BW 75kgs
Squat 120kgs
Deadlift 160kgs
Bench Press 105kgs

No, no, no, I have a training history. I've been doing Crossfit for the past 5years, so these numbers aren't from my first day in the office. I'm a beginner going by the OP standards. I want to get better at the three lifts so I'm taking advice from the guys that know. I don't really do CF anymore as there are areas of it I disagree with, however I still run, row, do pull ups, push ups, sit ups etc etc. I want to stay as fit as I can be as well as strong.

I have started to do this program except I'm confused about how much weight to start with. I continued over from SS and continued what I was doing 5 of and it was a bit of a struggle but I just managed. I got half way through and did BB Curls, Squats and Bent rows and pretty much felt like I needed to stop. I am going to do the other 3 exercises next and when both days become controlled and comfortable I will start doing all 6 per workout.

Does this seem like I'm being a sook and need to push it harder or should I follow my body telling me I have had enough? - At the moment there are 3 of us doing it and I find that might contribute to too much time waiting but when it is my shot I still feel like I haven't rested enough but I manage

Last edited:
I have started to do this program except I'm confused about how much weight to start with. I continued over from SS and continued what I was doing 5 of and it was a bit of a struggle but I just managed. I got half way through and did BB Curls, Squats and Bent rows and pretty much felt like I needed to stop. I am going to do the other 3 exercises next and when both days become controlled and comfortable I will start doing all 6 per workout.

Does this seem like I'm being a sook and need to push it harder or should I follow my body telling me I have had enough? - At the moment there are 3 of us doing it and I find that might contribute to too much time waiting but when it is my shot I still feel like I haven't rested enough but I manage

Start with the bar, and add 2.5kg every session until you cannot complete the required reps/sets. Then add 2.5kg only after you can complete the required reps

Definitely need to start from a lighter weight...

Start with the bar, and add 2.5kg every session until you cannot complete the required reps/sets. Then add 2.5kg only after you can complete the required reps

Excellent advice man. I already knew this type of programming but I'm very novice so I failed to see the signs and let my ego get in the way. Should I add 2.5kg every set after my warm sets at the start to fast track getting to that desired weight or not?

Definitely need to start from a lighter weight...

Thanks mate. I will reassess and start fresh. That way I will be able to get all 6 in. I honestly didn't think of that but it was stupid on my behalf not to think about it!

Last edited:
Excellent advice man. I already knew this type of programming but I'm very novice so I failed to see the signs and let my ego get in the way. Should I add 2.5kg every set after my warm sets at the start to fast track getting to that desired weight or not?

You can add 2.5kg to every set, but given you said this
failed to see the signs and let my ego get in the way.

I would do the program as written.

Is it a bad idea to do seated press? Also should my bent rows be completely bent over or the same as a squat? I keep seeing mixed instructions

Do standing barbell press.

I've no idea what you mean by the row part, how on earth can it look like a squat?

How to do a Bent Over Row - YouTube

I'm talking about back angle. So I'm suppose to be leaning all the way over rather than half way ish. Thanks, I have watched people stand in a different position where they are squatting down back only half way bent and they pull the bar over the legs (almost touching and in some cases touching the legs by accident) so the bar is being pull backwards and upwards at the same time

Last edited: