• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
2000 Calories is not enough... you should be eating double or triple that depending on how skinny you are.

Here is the Dave Tate diet taken from this article. Makes me laugh every time I read it.
T NATION | 37 Tips and Tales from Dave Tate

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like fucking magic. He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

"You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I'll fill you in."

Now remember, we're at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious shit if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

"For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don't care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that shit down and eat. That's your breakfast."

At this point I'm thinking this guy is nuts. But he's completely serious.

"For lunch you're gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don't want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG bullshit. I don't care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can't let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter."

"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it."

"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."

This guy is in a zen-like state when he's talking about this.

"Now you're on the clock," he continues. "After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you're full. Don't listen to that shit. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I'm telling you now, you're going to get three or four pieces in and you're gonna want to quit. You fucking can't quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you can't finish it, don't you ever come back to me and tell me you can't gain weight. 'Cause I'm gonna tell you that you don't give a fuck about getting bigger and you don't care how much you lift!"

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn't get much fatter. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, though.

Lol, good laugh, but so true. I've had guys whinging to me before about not being able to put on weight then proceed to tell me all they eat is lettuce and beans. They don't seem to get it when you tell them that everyday they should be eating until they feel like there going to be sick, then keep eating.

Does anyone / has anyone ever truly eaten like the bloke in the article??

God I can't imagine that pizza would taste very good heh heh

I actually don't think that would have been too far off a PLer diet from 1990-2000. There's video of Jim Wendler driving through Maccas first thing Monday morning on his way to train at Westside lol

Things have changed a lot now though

I tried bulking over nov/dec and just got fat. I made similar gains to when I was just on (roughly) maintenance calories. But it's probably good advice for some, especially those people who are super skinny and think 'an entire 4 slices of bread + meat' is a huge meal. Try stuffing yourself for a while if you're really really skinny, but if you have had weight problems in the past go a bit easy bulking and do it in a controlled manner (imo).

You have to remember that
1. he may or may not have been on gear
and
2. his final weight was 130kg give or take(coming from 115 or thereabouts)

bit different than someone going from 80-90 for example lol

He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat.
I can't take this article seriously. If he was never fat, why'd he cut back down by 110lb? If you've got 110lb to lose, you're fat. If you're not fat and you lose 110lb, then you either just lost a whole heap of stuff that you should have kept, or it's one mighty tumour.

Of course, people who don't know why they aren't getting bigger do need to eat more, and being given that dietary advice might just be enough of an overstatement to bring them up to a passable number of calories.

I can't take this article seriously. If he was never fat, why'd he cut back down by 110lb? If you've got 110lb to lose, you're fat. If you're not fat and you lose 110lb, then you either just lost a whole heap of stuff that you should have kept, or it's one mighty tumour.

Of course, people who don't know why they aren't getting bigger do need to eat more, and being given that dietary advice might just be enough of an overstatement to bring them up to a passable number of calories.

Probably came of cycle and stopped eating as much... Would.be near impossible to hold that weight permanently....

Hi All,

I'm beginning to get back into training after over a year off (where I could JUST bench 100kg) so want to start training properly to ensure I gain without putting on too much fat.

I'm a cyclist (both road and mountain bike), so adding muscle and not having too much fat is crucial.

Is it fair to assume the first few lifts should be exactly as Marko stated in the OP, and to ensure you can complete the sets? I don't want to give anything stupid a go and only do 1-2 reps of it, as I will be wasted and won't gain anything that way.

Any particular foods you guys believe will benefit slow muscle growth whilst not inducing too much fat into the diet? I will begin to watch calories with home made meals, but after reading the post about eating Chinese and large pizzas dolloped in olive oil, I'm not so sure anymore...

Cheers,
Theo

Hi All,

I'm beginning to get back into training after over a year off (where I could JUST bench 100kg) so want to start training properly to ensure I gain without putting on too much fat.

I'm a cyclist (both road and mountain bike), so adding muscle and not having too much fat is crucial.

Is it fair to assume the first few lifts should be exactly as Marko stated in the OP, and to ensure you can complete the sets? I don't want to give anything stupid a go and only do 1-2 reps of it, as I will be wasted and won't gain anything that way.

Any particular foods you guys believe will benefit slow muscle growth whilst not inducing too much fat into the diet? I will begin to watch calories with home made meals, but after reading the post about eating Chinese and large pizzas dolloped in olive oil, I'm not so sure anymore...

Cheers,
Theo

1: Eat at maintenance. Increase calories when weight stalls. Eat slightly above maintenance. Increase calories when weight stalls. Rinse and repeat.

2: (optional) If fat starts getting too high, either eat at maintenance and increase caloric expenditure OR eat at slightly below maintenance. Then resume bulking slowly - see 1.

Also, seeing you're interested in keeping fat gains to a minimum, have a read of these two articles.

T NATION | Truth About Bulking

and

Bulking For Natural Bodybuilders | Muscle & Strength

1: Eat at maintenance. Increase calories when weight stalls. Eat slightly above maintenance. Increase calories when weight stalls. Rinse and repeat.

2: (optional) If fat starts getting too high, either eat at maintenance and increase caloric expenditure OR eat at slightly below maintenance. Then resume bulking slowly - see 1.

Also, seeing you're interested in keeping fat gains to a minimum, have a read of these two articles.

T NATION | Truth About Bulking

and

Bulking For Natural Bodybuilders | Muscle & Strength

No worries judgey, thanks very much for that. I'll have a read of those when I'm home and hopefully get an understanding from there.

Cheers,
Theo

This is exactly the sort of thing I was after, both the program and the info contained in the thread. Thanks!!!

I've been on Starting Strength for 3 months, and I just find it dull now and need something a little more to freshen up. I posted on a thread the other day, and someone directed me here as a good alternate beginners program. Will begin this tomorrow and let you know how it all goes.

This is exactly the sort of thing I was after, both the program and the info contained in the thread. Thanks!!!

I've been on Starting Strength for 3 months, and I just find it dull now and need something a little more to freshen up. I posted on a thread the other day, and someone directed me here as a good alternate beginners program. Will begin this tomorrow and let you know how it all goes.

Do this one for 12 weeks.... It has a lot more volume so you won't be lifting as heavy... Be sure to deload all your weights at the start...

Then deload and switch back to SS....All your current SS lifts should jump quite a bit....

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but I am going to give this a crack for 3 months. How often should i be adding weight? Each session until I stall as per Starting Strength, or progressively add each new week?

Cheers

Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but I am going to give this a crack for 3 months. How often should i be adding weight? Each session until I stall as per Starting Strength, or progressively add each new week?

Cheers

As weight whenever you can.