• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've been doing these exercises at the gym in a power rack with an Olympic barbell and weights... but recently I lost my licence so I was forced to buy a cheap second hand squat rack with bench and weights ($350)... and a bench press ($80)... Now I wish I just invested in a power rack and an Olympic barbell ...

Strangely I find the same weights that I do at the gym feel much heavier with my home setup. Maybe it's the barbell which is much shorter and thinner. I find that it seems to hurt my traps when I do squats with heavy weights (never had this problem with Olympic barbell) and my bench is 10 kg's weaker because I can't seem to squeeze the bar hard at all (too thin)...

Maybe it's partially psychological as I had a mirror in front of me at the gym which allowed me to squat just deep enough to go below parallel but not more. Now without a mirror I'm going much deeper...

Anyway kinda sucks but as long as I'm making progress I figure it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't result in injury.

I've been doing these exercises at the gym in a power rack with an Olympic barbell and weights... but recently I lost my licence so I was forced to buy a cheap second hand squat rack with bench and weights ($350)... and a bench press ($80)... Now I wish I just invested in a power rack and an Olympic barbell ...

Strangely I find the same weights that I do at the gym feel much heavier with my home setup. Maybe it's the barbell which is much shorter and thinner. I find that it seems to hurt my traps when I do squats with heavy weights (never had this problem with Olympic barbell) and my bench is 10 kg's weaker because I can't seem to squeeze the bar hard at all (too thin)...

Maybe it's partially psychological as I had a mirror in front of me at the gym which allowed me to squat just deep enough to go below parallel but not more. Now without a mirror I'm going much deeper...

Anyway kinda sucks but as long as I'm making progress I figure it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't result in injury.

Back to this program... I already find that my rotator cuffs are playing up since I started doing bench and overhead press 3 times a week. In fact I'm finding I'm struggling with the same weight more and more as the week progresses.
My shoulders just aren't recovering fast enough in time for the next workout :(

I'm also wondering whether 3x10 squats is better than 1x20?

Back to this program... I already find that my rotator cuffs are playing up since I started doing bench and overhead press 3 times a week. In fact I'm finding I'm struggling with the same weight more and more as the week progresses.
My shoulders just aren't recovering fast enough in time for the next workout :(

I'm also wondering whether 3x10 squats is better than 1x20?

I'm 178cm, and weight 85kg's (with around 20+ % bf)...

Yesterday isn't a good example but here is what I eat normally:

8:30-9 am
Bowl of oats (1 cup) with protein shake + 300ml skim milk​
10:30
Apple with nuts and 1-2 glasses of milk​
12:00-12:30
3/4 - 1 whole chicken with a carrot. lol​
4:00-5:00
protein shake and 300ml skim milk with carrot or apple if I don't forget or 1 can of 185g tuna​
7:00
Often (not always) steak or chicken with vegetables/salad​
10:00
Protein shake + 300ml skim milk​

Note that's a good day... I don't always follow this plan. On weekends I eat/sleep less since I'm mostly busy.
I think my diet needs to be changed but how?

I'm 178cm, and weight 85kg's (with around 20+ % bf)...

Yesterday isn't a good example but here is what I eat normally:

8:30-9 am
Bowl of oats (1 cup) with protein shake + 300ml skim milk​
10:30
Apple with nuts and 1-2 glasses of milk​
12:00-12:30
3/4 - 1 whole chicken with a carrot. lol​
4:00-5:00
protein shake and 300ml skim milk with carrot or apple if I don't forget or 1 can of 185g tuna​
7:00
Often (not always) steak or chicken with vegetables/salad​
10:00
Protein shake + 300ml skim milk​

Note that's a good day... I don't always follow this plan. On weekends I eat/sleep less since I'm mostly busy.
I think my diet needs to be changed but how?

What he is saying is that your diet plays a massive role in helping your body recover, if you are having bad days that may be the reason you are taking longer to recover.

Anyway, not a bad diet imho! Just need to eat that more often and reduce the bad days as much as you can.

You could try having breakfast earlier, splitting your whole chicken into 2 meals, say 11.30 and 2.30 with more salad/vegies to go with it. That would be a pretty easy way to get more carbs and nutrients into you.

Just my 2c

What he is saying is that your diet plays a massive role in helping your body recover, if you are having bad days that may be the reason you are taking longer to recover.

Anyway, not a bad diet imho! Just need to eat that more often and reduce the bad days as much as you can.

You could try having breakfast earlier, splitting your whole chicken into 2 meals, say 11.30 and 2.30 with more salad/vegies to go with it. That would be a pretty easy way to get more carbs and nutrients into you.

Just my 2c

Yeah, more vegies. And nuts and beans. Add a cup of vegies and a cup of beans at lunch, two cups of vegies at dinner.

Yeah, more vegies. And nuts and beans. Add a cup of vegies and a cup of beans at lunch, two cups of vegies at dinner.

Diet looks okay, as long as you can replicate it every day.

If not, its the bad days that are harming your efforts

Diet looks okay, as long as you can replicate it every day.

If not, its the bad days that are harming your efforts

You can do all the exercises with a power rack, barbell and plates on your own at home. In fact, you only need the rack for squats and its safety bars for bench press.

sounds like it'd be a worthwhile investment then. The "best" option for working out alone, doing the lifts properly and gaining strength is what im after. sounds like this, i hope

You can do all the exercises with a power rack, barbell and plates on your own at home. In fact, you only need the rack for squats and its safety bars for bench press.

sounds like it'd be a worthwhile investment then. The "best" option for working out alone, doing the lifts properly and gaining strength is what im after. sounds like this, i hope

No amount of food will fix poor programing.
Rotator cuff issues didn't exsist untill people started bench pressing, you are benching and pressing three times a week.
Fix your training the rest will take care of itself.

No amount of food will fix poor programing.
Rotator cuff issues didn't exsist untill people started bench pressing, you are benching and pressing three times a week.
Fix your training the rest will take care of itself.