• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
And if he tried out different grips to see which was the most comfortable for him, that's just about the position he'd find for the overhead press ;)

Same goes for the row.

There's a reason these positions are chosen. It's because they're both comfortable and offer a mechanical advantage, making you able to lift the most with the least risk of injury.

Get the basic idea, then do it in the way which is comfortable, but works your muscles most thoroughly.

In the end we're just lifting stuff up and putting it back down, it's not brain surgery ;) Don't overthink it.

Have to disagree with you here - most people I have seen overhead pressing without instruction tend to have elbows out to the side, almost in line with the bar, not rotated out in front which tends to be most uncomfortable until you get used to it. The grip in this position is generally wider, more like bench grip.

Last edited:
And if he tried out different grips to see which was the most comfortable for him, that's just about the position he'd find for the overhead press ;)

Same goes for the row.

There's a reason these positions are chosen. It's because they're both comfortable and offer a mechanical advantage, making you able to lift the most with the least risk of injury.

Get the basic idea, then do it in the way which is comfortable, but works your muscles most thoroughly.

In the end we're just lifting stuff up and putting it back down, it's not brain surgery ;) Don't overthink it.

Have to disagree with you here - most people I have seen overhead pressing without instruction tend to have elbows out to the side, almost in line with the bar, not rotated out in front which tends to be most uncomfortable until you get used to it. The grip in this position is generally wider, more like bench grip.

My elbows go out to the side, Max's go forward. I dont believe there is one right way, just the way that allows you to lift the most weight comfortably.

same goes with squat stance, bench grip, deadlift, sumo or regular.

I try not to over police my clients, unless I feel they could do better with a change.

My elbows go out to the side, Max's go forward. I dont believe there is one right way, just the way that allows you to lift the most weight comfortably.

same goes with squat stance, bench grip, deadlift, sumo or regular.

I try not to over police my clients, unless I feel they could do better with a change.

I was just commenting on how Rippetoe coaches beginners - he knows more than I do :)

I was just commenting on how Rippetoe coaches beginners - he knows more than I do :)

I understand, its just that I allow a lifter to show me where he is most comfortable first, if I feel it is dangerous or totally unacceptable, I make adjustments.

I understand, its just that I allow a lifter to show me where he is most comfortable first, if I feel it is dangerous or totally unacceptable, I make adjustments.

I agree with Marcos everyone is different, I hate people that pick on others for little things like grip etc, hell if someone puts in the effort and does all he can, they should just be encouraged...But yes, dont let them get hurt.

personally I change my grip depending on the purpose, when doing light fast reps on bench my elbows are forward, when heavy they are out wide...

I agree with Marcos everyone is different, I hate people that pick on others for little things like grip etc, hell if someone puts in the effort and does all he can, they should just be encouraged...But yes, dont let them get hurt.

personally I change my grip depending on the purpose, when doing light fast reps on bench my elbows are forward, when heavy they are out wide...

People tell me I have a wide grip on the bench, I tell them I have long arms lol.

Whatever fits.

People tell me I have a wide grip on the bench, I tell them I have long arms lol.

Whatever fits.

I understand your point but sometimes I think you need to look at WHY people are coached to do it a certain way. Just because you have always done it your way does not mean it is the optimum way.

I understand your point but sometimes I think you need to look at WHY people are coached to do it a certain way. Just because you have always done it your way does not mean it is the optimum way.

I think I tend to bench wider than most. I don't have long arms and I bench with my pinkies over the rings.

I think I tend to bench wider than most. I don't have long arms and I bench with my pinkies over the rings.

My whole life I had "experts" tell me my grip and elbow positioning was all wrong when I benched, I watched with amusement as they benched 120kg with the correct grip and I benched 165kg with the wrong one.

I tell them I was just giving them a chance.

If any expert tells you there is only one way, run away as quickly as possible.

For most people, too much reading, not enough lifting.

My whole life I had "experts" tell me my grip and elbow positioning was all wrong when I benched, I watched with amusement as they benched 120kg with the correct grip and I benched 165kg with the wrong one.

I tell them I was just giving them a chance.

If any expert tells you there is only one way, run away as quickly as possible.

For most people, too much reading, not enough lifting.