• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Battle of the Gyms - Saturday 19th

Cheers guys!

Bigger and better things by the end of the yr - for myself and the team!

Hi,
just wanted to say a big thankyou to all the guys at powersports
you were all awesome.we will have to try win the trophy back next year.
hope you all enjoyed yourself.bunch of great guys

johnnie thats two bunged legs i have not one and a torn bicep and wrecked hips but geez the big head.ha ha ha. make no mistake ill still snap you in half
ill tell you the story about the young and old cowboy one day.take care mate.hope your killing them still.come to the gym soon be good to have you there for a while

billy

id like to say yes i am but the problem is you look like a dill if you dont.
i am lifting raw so i would hope to at least crack 300 on the dead
if i dont do that i want you all to hang shit on me for the next year

cheers
billy

I like RAW lifting because it opens powerlifting up to the public - but I also like seeing ppl lift equip and seeing what they can do in shirts and suits.

Iam sure there will be a few guys from here having a crack at equip lifting before the end of the yr - just as new and different challenge...

I think your wrong Joel.

When I threw my hat into the ring with CAPO, I said the future wasnt the existing lifters taking off their suits, it was the new guys never putting them on.

I have great respect for equipped powerlifters, up until now, its all I''ve known. I traveled around to PL comps in the late 80's and early 90's, there was no raw then, my brother and all my mates lifted equipped.

Commercial gyms frown on deadlifts, chalk etc now, and there are too few gyms around allowing PL. A PT friend of mine had to stop teaching DL to a client at FF Glen Waverly because members complained about noise. How fuct is that.

I think less than 5% of new lifters will now convert to wearing equipment, just as I think less than 5% will take there equipment off. Its the way it should be. Respect should be shown to all the equipped lifters who kept the sport alive during its down years.

Raw has breathed new life into the sport, nobody can question that.

A legend like Billy taking his suit off to lift, ignoring his ego, is one of the best thing that can happen to the sport.

Any new lifter donning equipment now will be a minority and irrelevant.

We had 94 lifters compete at 4 state titles this year, 71 raw and 23 equipped.

From what I can make out, none of the equipped were first time lifters, the majority was in raw.

Its up to the individual, but I cant make a case for anyone entering powerlifting and using equipment today

I totally agree Markos!

I ment from PowerSports - all the lifters that may have a crack at equip tho have competed raw in the past...but I know for a fact they will make raw lifting there main focus - but I know some are keen to through on a bench shirt and do a bench comp, aswell as a deady comp equip - just for something different and to change the training up abit.

But I totally agree with you - RAW lifting is the best thing that has happened to the sport in a long time....

Any new lifter donning equipment now will be a minority and irrelevant.

Complete bullshit saying that it will be irrelevant, there will always be a place for both raw and equip. The main problem with raw is there are no qualifying standards yet set. Meaning you have guys rocking up to State and national comps and lifting shitty totals (with the exception of a few)

A QUALIFYING TOTAL STANDARD NEEDS TO BE SET.

100% agreement. Whats the best way to do that. Having people compete is my guess.

By not allowing a novice to lift because he doesnt qualify, stops one more lifter from entering PL.

CAPO have seen this, and are reaping benefits. Sure some lifts wont stand the test of time, but without allowing these new guys into the sport because theyre not strong enough yet, your not moving forward.

Imagine if PL back in the beginning stopped guys competing because there were no standards. Raw is new, it has to go through this phase.

I suppose we can discuss it again in 5 years.

Anyway, I'm glad Billy is taking off his suit and setting credible records. Thats exactly what the sport needs, 300kg deadlifts to chase, not 150kg.

Anybody else willing to take off their equipment and help?

This time last year CAPO had 12 registered members in Vic. That is sad.

Yes have them lift, but not at a national comp. Make them work hard and earn that rite. I know you have a few lifters that deserve to be there and I hope they do well.

There will always be a rift between raw and equipped thats just the way it is. Just like pro bodybuilding and natural. People still love to see the freaks.

There are some easy ways to set minimum qualifying standards for competition entry and setting records:

for qualifying for Nationals competition, CAPO already has a grading scale. You just make it so that you need to get a C or D grade, or whatever grade the powers that be think is commensurate to the equipped qualifying standard.

for records, you derive a minimum record based on the existing equipped record using a % reduction to account for the equipment. The reduction for the deadlift would be fairly minimum, moderate for squat, and greater for bench. Not that hard, as the senior lifters will have a fair idea of how much they actually get out of the equipment. You would make the % reduction generous so that the record is attainable, but not ridiculously easy either.

There's probably other ways you could do it too.

Being able to set walk-up records in blank categories takes credibility away in my opinion particularly where there are lots of combinations of age categories, weight categories, equipped vs raw, state vs national records etc etc. You get a ridiculous situation where someone can claim to be a record holder with lifts that are fairly commonplace simply because no one has happened to lift in that particular combination of categories. In some federations you can't take recognition for a record unless you beat a certain minimum qualifying standard - there's a fair bit of logic behind that.

Brilliant ideas, and I reckon 100% next year you will need to qualify, I have no doubt about that.

When Paul Nay sought me out to help grow the sport, I had some ideas. It is my sole role, bring lifters to CAPO.

So now I have a dilemna. CAPO have no members, so they only have ONE three lift comp for the year, the ONLY chance to qualify.

So I talk 16 PTC lifters into competing at the Vics, a brilliant result. Others were still dubious about official PL, paying all that money for membership to lift once guaranteed and twice if they impose qualifying.

So now I have 35 lifters wanting to compete. What to do, send them away and run the risk of never having them come back, or invite them in and hope they stick around.

Some are stronger than others, but I cant play favourites.

Chris -93kg - 207.5/167.5/273.5 total 648.5kg raw
Matt - 100kg - 200/170/260 total 630kg raw - junior

These guys have never competed outside my gym comps. Obviously they would pass any qualification. Chris lives in Sydney, no CAPO. Matt lives in QLD, one comp to qualify in, he missed it.

For every Chris and Matt, there is going to be someone not as strong.

CAPO have wisely accepted everyone this year, not a chance next year.

By giving them qualifying totals, it wont deter anyone, only motivate, not sure not letting them in will have the same effect.

Its a gamble, but what did CAPO have to lose? They could hit 200 members by Nats, sitting at 150 now, which is a high mark for recent times.

For 12 months there MAY be some records that arent as high as we would like. We'll take the shame for 12 months for the hope of a much brighter future.

To me, this was a no brainer. I will do anything to get someone competing, guys on this forum who already have in the past few months are as motivated as ever.

I guess I have a different agenda to others, I was asked to get people lifting, not watching. Hope this helps explain things.

Yes have them lift, but not at a national comp. Make them work hard and earn that rite. I know you have a few lifters that deserve to be there and I hope they do well.

There will always be a rift between raw and equipped thats just the way it is. Just like pro bodybuilding and natural. People still love to see the freaks.

You cannot compare BB and PL.

Listening to comments from novices, they cant get their head around equipped lifters. I get it, I'm 48.

These guys lift to get stronger too see what they can lift.

You claim people like to see the freaks. I say you are wrong. While there was no raw, there was nearly no PL. CAPO had no Sydney, no SA, no Tas. A few in Albury and Vic, 3 lifters at the WA state titles a couple of years ago.

I guess nobody really wants to see equipped, except for old timers. Guys new to the sport dont understand why you simply dont lift the weight in your gym gear. I dont try to explain, its useless.

I love the sport of lifting. Its how I feed my kids.

I wouldnt cross the road to watch an equipped comp sorry.

Dont assume that someone lifting an extra 100kg because of a tight shirt is a freak, it may be your opinion, but your in the minority now.

The PA and CAPO guys have told me about the ammount of spectators at comps in recent years, nothing to brag about as far as I can tell.

Also, no rift at all between equipped and raw as far as I can tell, how did you come up with this, we lift side by side and help each other

There is def no rift between equip and raw lifters - stupid thing to say....lets not try and make out that raw lifters hate equip lifters.

For me I think raw is great for ppl to get into the sport - then whatever direction (RAW or equip) they want to take after that its upto them - we are all looking to lift as much weight as we can.