• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Absofu$%inglutely. You going to nats?

I doubt it man, don't think my parents would appreciate it, airfares seem a bit expensive too. however, i'll definitely be there at the October meet, hopefully we'll get some more info about it soon :)

I haven't tested my military press or clean, but with squat and bench I couldn't hit the elite number raw for at least 6reps, with deadlift for 3reps.

Last edited:
Very impressive.

I'm guessing by some of your posts you may have competed, am I right?

Oh, and welcome.

Squat double bodyweight - Pass - 220kg @110
Squat 1.5 times bodyweight x 20 - Fail - Haven't done that many reps in a while, last time I did 140kg for 2x20
Bench press 1.5 times bodyweight - Fail - Best bench was 140 @110ish then injured my shoulder in the first rugby game of the year.
Bench press bodyweight x 10 - Fail - Again with the shoulder thing.. wouldn't be close to this atm. Too lazy for that many reps.
Deadlift 2.5 times bodyweight - Fail - Pulled 220 @ 106ish the other night after converting back to conventional deads from sumo. Hope to pull 240+ at local comp next weekend weighing in at 100kgs
Standing strict military press bodyweight - Fail - Best I've done is about 80kgs. I don't do much mil pressing as my shoulders take too much of a beating during the rugby season.
Clean & push press bodyweight x 5 - Fail - Doubt I would get close to this as I don't do much in the way of the many variations of cleans
15 dead hang wide grip chins - Fail - I'm fat. /excuses
Powerclean 1.2 times bodyweight - Fail - Same as C&PP

So apparently I suck. Oh well. There's always next time.

Marcos, have you seen Jim Wendler's discussion about what he considers strong?

I havent, but I'm always interested in reading his views, colorful character.

Where can I find them?

Great work on the squat too.

http://functional-strength.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-constitutes-strong. html

This is something that is debated back and forth all the time by lifters. A long time ago I had a "star system" where I set up lifts for 5 rep maxes and what level it was placed on. Like "weak, average, strong, elite" that kind of thing. It stirred up quite a bit of discussion on the small board I posted on at the time. I thought it was good food for thought.

I go back and forth with this sort of thing all the time with Jim Wendler of elitefts and so I figured what the heck, I'd throw some numbers up that we have been chatting about that would constitute really diesel elite-level lifting for reps.

Bench Press - 315x20

I took notice of this after Eric Lilliebridge sent me his training log. Most all of the 500+ bench pressers I know can hit around 315 for 20-22 reps or so. And even if you couldn't bench 500, if you could do 315x20 you'd be damn big and strong. No getting around that.

Dips - 200x10

Jim says this is ridiculous. I left it at 200x10 for that very reason. I mean we're talking elite level right?

Chins - 100x10

Some skinny guys that are naturally built for chinning might be able to hit this. But we're talking dead-stop chins all the way up. Not that forehead to the bar shit. This is diesel chinning/back strength, especially for guys over 200 pounds.

Squats and Deadlifts - 500x20

Yeah sounds ridiculous doesn't it? That's the point. Using a calculator this would come out to an 800 squat or dead. Mind you, the point here isn't that if you worked up to this you would be hitting an 800 squat or dead, but you'd damn sure have increased your 1 rep max and you'd be a walking Hulk to boot. Second, all of that mass would have increased your 1 rep max ceiling. Meaning you probably would be able to translate those reps into an 800 squat or dead after specializing in some singles for a while. Good stuff all around.

Kaz claimed to have squatted 600x25 pretty regularly. I don't doubt it.

Standing Strict Press - 315x1

No push press crap. Lots of guy can do push press numbers that look good but then fall flat on their face come strict press time. This is the one lift where we never talked about reps but just about putting 3 wheels overhead. I was probably good for this at one time (275x3 strict) but I do my standing press from a clean. I couldn't hang clean 315 so I never got a shot. After August I am going to take a real run at this over the next 12 months.

Barbell Curls - 185 x 10

Again, strict. I don't think we discussed this one too much but it's there (I think).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's safe to say if you knew someone that could hit all of these, words like "beastly" and "awesome" would come to mind. Words like "thin" "slight" or "frail" probably would not.

7 lifts to maximize your entire genetic potential for strength and mass (along with PBnJ).

Pretty simple isn't it?

^^ That's them. Notice he doesn't use clean variations. Some of the numbers are pretty high. Wendler justifies them in a forum topic on Tnation. He says that he himself can't do some of them but that they are meant to show an elite level of strength.

hmm, this may be a stupid question, but is this table supposed to be ALL in pounds, or is it only the bodyweight part of the table that's measured in pounds?

From what I can tell its all in pounds, would make it a lot easier if it was in kg. When I last went for max reps was 3 weeks ago and I got this...

I'm right in between the 198 and 220lb, so I just went with the 220lb.

Press: 67KG (Novice) 3KG To Next Level
Benchpress: 95.5KG (Novice) 7KG To Next Level
Power Clean: 75.5KG (Un-trained) 4.5KG To Next Level - Only ever done once, my tech is very bad.
Squat: 110KG (Novice) 26KG To Next Level
Deadlifts: 150.5KG (Novice) 9KG To Next Level

I'v been training for less then 6 months.

hmm, this may be a stupid question, but is this table supposed to be ALL in pounds, or is it only the bodyweight part of the table that's measured in pounds?

I didnt realise that double bodyweight was either lighter or heavier, dependant on if it is measure in pounds or kilos.

100kg x 2 = 200kg
220lbs x 2 = 440lbs

Is same, same, everything same

Hi Guys,

Just revisiting this thread...

Just realised I'm about one year from Advanced on my three core lifts if I stick with Markos' PPP and add 10kg per lift. I weigh 78kg so am measuring against the 181lbs targets.

Bench: 100kg current target. Need to get to 125kg for Advanced.
Squat: 130kg current target. Need to get to 170kg for Advanced.
Deads: 160kg current target. Need to get to 200kg for Advanced.

There you go, a steady 10kg per cycle plan to get to Advanced in 12 months. Now I've just got to stick with it and keep that diet working. Unless of course I put on too much weight in which case the targets would be higher...

I'll check back in and see how long it actually takes.

Cheers,
Michael