• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
not good news. how big is the bulge?

my advice: explore all your options prior to surgery - you want to avoid it if other solutions exist, but once all other options are exhausted then accept it because it usually works. this means jumping through the hoops with your regular physio and maybe talking to someone with more experience with spinal stuff. If i had a do over i would probably have seen another physio before opting for surgery.

once you get past the physios, talk to more than 1 neurosurgeon - you want multiple opinions on the best approach. if you want recommendations for good surgeons you can ask taurus or myself as we've both been through this recently.

to help prepare you for the costs, with pretty decent private cover i was out of pocket about $5k for the surgery alone and that's not including $400 a pop to consult with the surgeons or a couple of months of physio before and after. This alone should have you exploring all non-surgical routes as thoroughly as you can.

good luck...

Thanks heaps for the advice mate. I'm not sure how bad it is, the physio said from the report that the c7 is pretty major and c6 is fairly minor. Hmm yeah I am pretty worried about the cost of it all! Not something I really want to deal with but I guess I have no choice. Also I don't have any private health cover.

Last edited:
with no private, i guess it sounds like you HAVE to run the gauntlet of physios to find a non-surgical solution while you either wait out the public list (in which case the op will be pretty much free) or while you wait for your 12 month "pre-existing condition" period to lapse on your new private health insurance.

basically, if you want to choose your surgeon as well as where and when the op gets done you need private but it will cost you. if you're happy to take the public surgeon and you don't want to pay then get a referral to a public neurosurgeon. either way, you're going to have to wait unless it's an emergency. not sure what they classify as an emergency wrt further up the spine, but down low they pretty much wait until you've lost bladder or bowel control :\

Would also be interested in the names of any surgeons in the Brisbane area, only name I have been given so far is Simon Backhouse, But at this stage I am just putting up with discomfort, voltarin is taking the edge off, but not keen to keep popping it endlessly..

Back on therabands now doing my stabilization work. My left glute is not working/firing properly yet.
I have to see my GP tomorrow again as te stitches haven't dissolved. Three weeks post op, it should've. We can't find a knot to cut it ourselves, only a tail hanging out. Hence the GP visit.
Pool walking again each morning, that's been great.

iPhone using Tapatalk

I love your positive outlook

It would be very easy to get down and depressed about this. 2 ops in 4 months. Not working. It sux. But I still have my wife and daughter who love me and I don't want to be grumpy or shitty around them. Their positivity rubs off.
No pool today as I had a terrible nights sleep. Did my theraband and stabilizing exercises tho.
Heading to roosters vs bunnies tonight, can't wait!

iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say, break a leg.

hahaha
a few years ago i probably would've!!
Im slowly getting better.
Proper swimming this week, albeit with flippers, and more work on the theraband.
Back to work in 3 weeks, starting back in the office, not on the tools just yet...:)

Had the weekend in forster
had a great swim in the ocean & let my two girls scale the sand dunes for me hahah

124eypd.jpg

bi8qqc.jpg

All the driving over the weekend hasn't been kind to my back. Very sore today

iPhone using Tapatalk