• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I'm impressed with your deadlifts mate. We had the same surgery at the same level (L5/S1) except you may have done it twice. I Rehabbed for a few months after mine and then waited until 6-9 months after my op to do them again. Eventually working back up to 180. Tweaked my back in 2013 and havent really done them since. Correct me if I'm wrong but you have just scar tissue at that level now? No lower back pain either. I'm thinking it's because you abstained for several years. Maybe I fucked up

Ouch. Lucky you.
Yes I had the op twice. I went back to work only 3 weeks after the 1st op. No where near enough recovery time!!
The 2nd time round I did lots of yoga and walking and swimming until about the 6 month post op period elapsed. It's all in this thread if you want to scroll thru it all!! I won't go stupid on the deads and they will only be done after a very thorough warm up AND if I feel good. The back doesn't feel great every day, but mostly it is. I haven't had any pain since the first few weeks after recovery apart from the occasional ping of sciatic pain if I step funny or miss a step on uneven ground.
How is yours now? Have you looked up your local yoga master?? I can't recommend that enough. Explain your history and they will help

Ah is there isnt a yoga instructor cant do....
yoga_teacher_indonesia.jpg

Mine is pretty much every day mate with the odd exception. Although I had the op a few years before yours. I suspect it's not my L5 that's causing me grief now but my L4. Could be arthritis too. I've been speaking with Brian Carroll (a powerlifter in the US, look him up). He had the same injuries as us only worse. He rehabbed himself without surgery with the hl of Dr Stuart McGill. I seriously don't want another op besides I suspect it might not be a great idea to have a fusion at 40. My pain also tends to be higher up too - like around the thoracic / lumbar spine.

Mine is pretty much every day mate with the odd exception. Although I had the op a few years before yours. I suspect it's not my L5 that's causing me grief now but my L4. Could be arthritis too. I've been speaking with Brian Carroll (a powerlifter in the US, look him up). He had the same injuries as us only worse. He rehabbed himself without surgery with the hl of Dr Stuart McGill. I seriously don't want another op besides I suspect it might not be a great idea to have a fusion at 40. My pain also tends to be higher up too - like around the thoracic / lumbar spine.

Not sure how he could fix two herniated discs without surgery, but I'll look him up. One of my herniations had started fusing to my spinal cord, that shit doesn't fix itself! Luckily, as I said before, my wife works in spinal cord injury rehab, so my recovery was well looked after, I couldn't fucken escape the scrutiny of my every move, especially after going back to work against her wishes lol. I'll never live that down!! Lol

I think they we're bulges as opposed to herniations. Tell me something mate (and I would appreciate it if you could also
ask your mrs about this), but recently I've been shitting myself that I either have another bulge or possibly herniation because I'm getting some pain in my left glute when I bend forward slightly and push my hip out to the left. The hammie is a little tighter than usual. Is there any way of ruling in/out a possible issue with my back as the cause of this? I can walk without pain. Up until a few days ago, I would get some 'tightness' in my glute and hammie when going from a seated to standing position (was pretty bad after sitting in a plane seat for 6 hours. Lol). Appreciate your help mate (it's gruntjc BTW) :)

Last edited:
I think they we're bulges as opposed to herniations. Tell me something mate (and I would appreciate it if you could also
ask your mrs about this), but recently I've been shitting myself that I either have another bulge or possibly herniation because I'm getting some pain in my left glute when I bend forward slightly and push my hip out to the left. The hammie is a little tighter than usual. Is there any way of ruling in/out a possible issue with my back as the cause of this? I can walk without pain. Up until a few days ago, I would get some 'tightness' in my glute and hammie when going from a seated to standing position (was pretty bad after sitting in a plane seat for 6 hours. Lol). Appreciate your help mate (it's gruntjc BTW) :)

Do you get pain or sensation in the hammy when driving?
That may not be tightness in the hammy, it may be nerve pain. Which is what I thought mine was, a tight hammy.
Are you stretching your hip flexors??? If not, get onto that. The muscles in your hip flexors go all the way round to the lower back. If you stretch them, they loosen and then take pressure off your lower back.
Other than that, go see a doc and get a referral for a scan. Only way to know for sure!

e89050b2a63c0812b164a86920c3de1b.jpg

dec04ff4512646d637e160856199b303.jpg

e0fd0d30fe166dbbc46044b7f9040ef7.jpg

DL's last night. Worked up to 3x152 as I didn't want to push the Garry jack. Nothing in particular, but I think this thread was in the back of my mind and I couldn't focus on those last two reps. Mind was wandering.

Could probably get a little lower on take off, but happy with final position. Not over extending at all.

Session was
Thorough warm up with active stretch and mobility work
5x5 wide chins
3x5 DL 100-120-130
2x3 DL 152-152

Just put it into perspective. Do you really need deadlifts?
Can you achieve what you want without them?
Risk v reward?

Dead straight, just like that there Hills Hoist

But like Shrek says, do you really need them? If they're going to cause issues there's other ways to work the back

Just put it into perspective. Do you really need deadlifts?
Can you achieve what you want without them?
Risk v reward?

Not sure what's going on here, but it looks like my wife and/or mum have hacked into [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; s account.
Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll have a chat to them both later.

I'm just putting my toe in the water, if I ever feel anything out or not 100% I'll stop.

Merry Xmas y'all, thanks to the regulars who pop into my thread, I appreciate it! Especially old mate shrek & white lie.

Here's a thought or two. I had the same op as Taurus in 2009. I rehabbed then went back to deadlifting (but sumo this time, not conventional). No issues until 2013. Now my back hurts most of the time. I have a scoliosis and I'm sure a bulging disc or two, together with arthritis. I love deadlifts too but they are a double edged sword IMO. They're only good when done properly and theres A LOT that goes into this one lift, much more than I ever thought. Taurus is in a better place than I was at any point ever because the guy works his core. I'm guessing it's pretty strong. That said mate,
if you want to continue this lift, I don't believe it would hurt to get some professional coaching by someone who really knows their shit. Your setup looks fine (however you do need to py attention to getting your shoulders BEHIND the bar, not in front) so it would just to be certain that you're rock solid. The stronger Taurus' back is, the better he will be to cope with day to day life. But the thing is: he is and can train this move PAIN FREE. It's not like he has to dose up on pain killers to train the movement. Believe it or not, the spine actually does well with compression, especially when there is litte or no shearing. By remaining tight and not being stupid by doing touch and go reps and other retarded shit you see people do in the gym, he will be fine. The hip hinge is a movement pattern that we do every day. That's another thing. Some of us will have back issues no matter what. I'm actually going to be receiving some coaching next year from a guy who majorly fucked up his back during his 10 year powerlofting career. He fixed it to some degree without surgery. Keep up the good work L

Last edited:
[MENTION=18453]Firey1[/MENTION]; one step ahead of you mate. Have booked in a great level 2 powerlifting coach to come to my place on jan 6 to start a few tutorials with me.

6695476f6498b62d25b45847b9d33f61.jpg

Run swim run at clovelly this morning. Fuck it was cold and the water was choppy as shit. If I hadn't met a mate there, it would've been straight back home.
Got 8 laps out. 10 was the aim, but the swims took it out of us. He got 9 in. Swimming in shoes in those conditions is hard lol.

Then home for some bulk nutrients pankcakes made perfecto by my wife.

7d412c74e35950a63d5ed414191e7d51.jpg

[MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; saw Star Wars last night. Best ever. Wore a tacky Star Wars t shirt as the wookie outfit was out of reach this time. Great movie eh!? Who would've thought chewbacca was luke skywalkers son!?! Lol

[MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; saw Star Wars last night. Who would've thought chewbacca was luke skywalkers son!?! Lol
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!
Where's the spoiler alert? [emoji29]

Hope the Princess is not the mother? ????