• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sam Harris, through his travels to the east and his meetings with some Buddhist gurus, has come to the conclusion that there is no "self", we are basically selfless, and Buddhism is about selflessness. For the true followers of Buddhism, the religion is a philosophy of morality and ethics, encapsulated within a life of renunciation of the ego-self. Not only is God seen as illusory, but even we ourselves lose our “selves.” Personality itself becomes an illusion.

So Sam writes in his book: Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion: Sam Harris: 9781451636017: Amazon.com: Books

The self that does not survive scrutiny is the subject of experience in each present moment — the feeling of being a thinker of thoughts inside one’s head, the sense of being an owner or inhabitant of a physical body, which this false self seems to appropriate as a kind of vehicle. Even if you don’t believe such a homunculus exists — perhaps because you believe, on the basis of science, that you are identical to your body and brain rather than a ghostly resident therein — you almost certainly feel like an internal self in almost every waking moment. And yet, however one looks for it, this self is nowhere to be found. It cannot be seen amid the particulars of experience, and it cannot be seen when experience itself is viewed as a totality. However, its absence can be found — and when it is, the feeling of being a self disappears.”

Okay, so according to him, I have a false sense of my own “self”, this “self” of mine, is but an illusion. So it’s not real and it does not exist, therefore instead of I am, I should now be saying I am not…or perhaps leave the “I” out altogether, since “I”, points to my own existence.

I would much prefer to believe in the ‘self”, my own real “self”, even though I can’t touch it, feel it, or smell it. So basically if it’s not a materialistic entity, I therefore should disbelieve in it, or go a step further and say that there really was nothing there to believe in in the first instance.

No thank you. For me, I work to keep my “self” under control (through Jihad al nafs/ the struggle of the self), and by doing so; I attain personal growth, and not through meditating to reach a state of nirvana, where there is neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self. I want the whole package that comes with life; the good and the bad, and if that means suffering is part of the package of life, so be it, I’ll willingly deal with it. I want the works, and I won’t shy away in some little remote corner somewhere away from everyone as some religious “pious” people do, where there are no trials and tribulations.

Sufism is the mystical side of Islam. The notion of fana’, commonly translated from Arabic as annihilation or obliteration, provides a potential point of contact between Sufi practices and Buddhist notions of nirvana, a word which, in Sanskrit, derives from the type of extinction one sees when one snuffs out the flame of a candle.

Please note above, that I said struggle of the self rather than struggle from the self, there’s a difference, just as there is freedom of self, compared with freedom from self.

Last edited:

I saw grief drinking a cup of sorrow and called out, “It tastes sweet, does it not?” “You’ve caught me,” grief answered,“and you’ve ruined my business. How can I sell sorrow, when you know it’s a blessing?”

Intelligent discussions are most welcome.

It's very obvious that different people view human suffering very differently. Our view of pain and suffering in this world need not be limited to sadness and grief. And perhaps we may find some comfort in finding someone to blame for our misgivings as we understand them to be at the time of their occurrences.

Take this video clip, and compare it with Fry's views for example:

God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly, not one.

For me as I've stated in this thread before, suffering and adversity is not something I view in a negative light, but rather as a mechanism for personal growth.

If you're impatient, please fast forward to the 10:00 minutes mark....

Each to his own, with full respect as far as I am concerned. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry Brick. All I asked was how long ago did you become a follower of Christ as I had always thought you more of a Devil Worshiper, if not a humorous one. Forgive my ignorance its just looking over your last dozen or so posts I see you have strayed from the path of righteousness:

But our Lord is a forgiving one though Brick; 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

P.S. I see you made the Hollywood quote of "no atheists in Foxholes". I'll give you a quote: "Prayer, the last refuge of a scoundrel" :D

jesus forgives, let us not forget he too kept a whore for a lover.

as the good book says: let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

I must've missed that bit through my readings of the bible Brick. Would you mind shedding some light on this for us please. Thanks.

Perhaps focus less on literal interpretation and theological ideas and read more between the lines.

and please don't throw Wikipedia back at me, even popes have acknowledged Mary magdelen was a whore and she rates more mentions in the New Testament then the apostles.

Focus on what is unwritten not what is written

Perhaps focus less on literal interpretation and theological ideas and read more between the lines.

and please don't throw Wikipedia back at me, even popes have acknowledged Mary magdelen was a whore and she rates more mentions in the New Testament then the apostles.

I won't be throwing anything back at you, especially wiki. Why wiki when it was you who made the remark, hence I'm asking you (still) to point to somewhere in the bible where through your (between the lines) readings, you've come to conclude that Mary Magdalene (if she was a whore), had some sort of relationship with Jesus? If you can't point me to a certain passage, that's fine with me, I won't press you on it. I'm fine with the Jesus I believe in, and we'll just leave it at that thanks.

Congratulations Brick, you've just made Sunday School more interesting for thousands of children around the world, not to mention turning the Bible into a Mills and Boon novel.

No where in the Bible does it say Mary Magdalene was Jesus's whore.

Fuck me you're a simple lot.

Mary Magdelen rates more mentions in the text than any of the apostles & those cünts wrote the fucking thing. She was present at all his big life events.

No kids, no husband, tended to his needs when required. he cured her of 'Demons'.

Popes have ate acknowledged she was a whore.

im not judging boys, I'm just saying Jesus has more in common with most of us then you think, he was a man as well.

Anyway I grow weary of this argument.

At at the end of the day Jesus was a flawed man but still the son of God, it's the crux of the whole story.

He was the bastard child of a tradesman, born in a fucking animal sty. He kept a former whore in his entourage, he put the piss on at weddings when there was only water, his best mate was a rat cünt who topped himself over the guilt and even with all this general shadiness he was the son of God.

backbone of the whole don't cast judgement lest ye be judged yourself.

Fuck me you're a simple lot.
Perhaps that is precisely why we're asking you to clarify your position for us from your point of view. I'm not interested what some pope have said re the event, only interested in what you have to say since you made the comment. So still no explicit book, chapter, verse, or anything you can possibly lead the way with Brick?

Anyway I grow weary of this argument.
Fair enough, if you consider a question to be some kind of argument, then like you, I'm uninterested in any sort of argument. Thanks for your explanation mate.

Last edited:
Did you read the last post, what sort of woman follows around an unemployed tradesman with no money?

An educated woman of fine moral character, more likely a hooker with daddy issues......

Who is present at all significant events in the most important part of Jesus life? His mates and this chick......

You can't interpret it the way you try to fadi, you need to step back and take a look at the context of the stories told.

Step back and look at the broad facts presented rather then the scriptures.

Did you read the last post, what sort of woman follows around an unemployed tradesman with no money?
An educated woman of fine moral character, more likely a hooker with daddy issues......

Who is present at all significant events in the most important part of Jesus life? His mates and this chick......

Geez you can make me laugh Brick "what sort of woman follows around an unemployed tradesman with no money?". :D

I think the Bible says that she was a "repentant" prostitute whom Jesus saved from being stoned to death, that's why she followed Jesus. It certainly doesn't mention anything about Jesus and Mary having a sexual relationship. Its just some peoples way of spicing up the Bible at times.

c9dc9af954391e2217d1ebd775e17be8.jpg

Geez you can make me laugh Brick "what sort of woman follows around an unemployed tradesman with no money?". :D

I think the Bible says that she was a "repentant" prostitute whom Jesus saved from being stoned to death, that's why she followed Jesus. It certainly doesn't mention anything about Jesus and Mary having a sexual relationship. Its just some peoples way of spicing up the Bible at times.

Jesus was a broke arse carpenter with minimal education, who enjoyed his wine, knocking round with his mates and was prone to delusions, pretty much exactly like brick. The parallels are profound.

If a reformed whore followed me around you can bet I'd be boning her, stands to reason Jesus was.