• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Bazza, truth is many dont agree; they adopt bb lifestyle and will never compete. Disrespect for serious bbs has little to do with it.

Surely lifestyle choice better than eating crap and getting fat and unhealthy.

Having said that, I hope this form of recreation and lifestyle does not also mean the use of anabolic steroids.

A bb that does not compete is still imortant to bb as a sport. In addition to lifestyle and training, they buy the mags and products, they go to shows, and they may have friends who are bbs who the support and encourage. In other words, there would be no bb sport if it was not for the millions of bbs that do not compete.

In a way, they are like the mediocre lifters and ageing athletes like myself, who still compete in aths and powerlifting and so on, and help prop up the sport's image in terms of interest and participation numbers.

Never said those lifters that don't compete aren't important. Of course they are. They just arent bodybuilders. They may be fans of bodybuilding. You are trying to make an argument for something totally different to what anyone is saying.

Just like the guys that go to local footy and kick the ball at half time are not footy players. They may be fit, have good skills and follow the game, they are not footy players unless they play but they are still very important to footy.

Just like the fat bald guy who benches in his home gym but doesn't compete isnt a powerlifter.

ok

But even if we keep it the debate to relevance, all i am saying is that i is very tough to go on stage and put it all on the line.

In my opinion, having competed in many sports, although also being one that who is most anxious about results and when and how often to compete, i feel what i competed in would be much easier than going on stage to show one's physique.

I can understand why they dont, in the same way I understand why many dont compete in individual sports because they feel they are not good enough, or are only happy with winning.

Dont see what is achieved by bagging them as imposters. If they are training towards a goal, and even if most will never compete, they should be entitled to call themselves bbs.

If i ask someone in gym what sport they do, i am asking what they are training for, not necesarily whether they have competed. But that is my view.

Last edited:
What do you class yourself as Bazza20?
Just for clarity.

Even though I use weights to biuld my body, I'd be embarrassed to call myself a bodybiulder lol.
I don't need to go around advertising the fact that like to exercise.

ok

But even if we keep it the debate to relevance, all i am saying is that i is very tough to go on stage and put it all on the line.

In my opinion, having competed in many sports, although also being one that who is most anxious about results and when and how often to compete, i feel what i competed in would be much easier than going on stage to show one's physique.

I can understand why they dont, in the same way I understand why many dont compete in individual sports because they feel they are not good enough, or are only happy with winning.

Dont see what is achieved by bagging them as imposters. If they are training towards a goal, and even if most will never compete, they should be entitled to call themselves bbs.

If i ask someone in gym what sport they do, i am asking what they are training for, not necesarily whether they have competed. But that is my view.

I'm not bagging them I am just saying they are not bodybuilders.

Also not that I agree anyway but you can't seriously argue that because it's harder to get up on a BB stage than some other sports, people that dont compete should be called bodybuilders.

Again not that it matters, I have huge respect for bodybuilders but all sports are difficult and take a huge amount to compete if you take them serious enought.

Basically from what your saying anyone can call themselves a BB. Most people want to look good and bodybuilding has no requirement that you even actually lift. It's the getting up on stage that separates the gym goers from the bodybuilders.

To be more precise with my definition, I call them bbs in the sense if someone asked what they did for sport, they may say i do bb or they weight train. Most of these guys or girls would not be thinking of competing but love the training associated with bb. A minority will want to compete, and even less so will actually do so.

I know what you are getting at, but dont feel it is necessary. We can agree to disagree.

What do you class yourself as Bazza20?
Just for clarity.

Even though I use weights to biuld my body, I'd be embarrassed to call myself a bodybiulder lol.
I don't need to go around advertising the fact that like to exercise.

I suppose im a footy player who likes lifting weights but I'm the same I dont advertise I lift weights.

Last edited:
Im neither. Ive nominated myself in an upcoming pl comp, not to try place but just to see where my lifts are at and to support the PTC team. If i enjoy the experience i might enter more. I've always lifted just for enjoyment of doing so and the positive effects it has irl - eg moving house last night was able to lift and carry a chest of drawers that i needed help with 12 months ago when i last moved.

BB is so easy to mock and i apologise if it offends anyone here. I guess part of that stems from my misunderstanding, eg
Why would a man want to enter a beauty pageant? Makes far more sense for a man to compete in a test of strength, whether that be pl, strongman, oly lifting etc.
Why would someone want to put themselves at health risk in comp prep?
Why would someone be so self image deranged that their whole lifestyle revolves around what they look like?

With regards to the current discussion as to what constitutes being a bodybuilder, I'm reminded of when I was studying music industry back in the day. I remember someone giving the anecdote that when the average person says "I know Jonny B Good," what they mean is they recognise it when they hear it, and can maybe rape the chorus when they hear it on the radio. When a singer says they know Jonny B Good, they mean they know every single lyric and what vocal techniques they'll use at each step in the song when singing it. Similarly, and even closer to the current discussion (but still on the topic of music), one of my lecturers said that if you can play a few chords on the guitar and play it every now and again, that doesn't make you a musician. Rehearsing every day, collaborating with other musicians, and performing on stage and/or in studio makes you a musician.

In my opinion, this is where Capital Letters at the start of words is relevant, or the prefix "professional" or "competitive." So there's a bodybuilder (or, perhaps more accurately, someone who does bodybuilding), and then there's a Body Builder (or professional/competitive bodybuilder). One is the equivalent of the college kid who strums out "Good Riddance" by Green Day and pretty much nothing else, the other is actually a member of Green Day.

But that's just my thinking.

The whole "you have to compete" idea is stupid...try applying it to every other 'activity' you do.
I cannot possibly say I'm a powerlifter but will be competing regulary....
I am a freediver. I'm very good at it...I don't compete, never will.

The whole "you have to compete" idea is stupid...try applying it to every other 'activity' you do.
I cannot possibly say I'm a powerlifter but will be competing regulary....
I am a freediver. I'm very good at it...I don't compete, never will.

Ok using your freediver example.

Am I a freediver if I just read about freediving online and play with my freediving gear at home but never ever actually go freediving.

Am I a fisherman if I read a few fishing magazines and tie a few knots in my shed and get the gear but have never gone fishing in my life.

The thing that defines bodybuilding is getting up on stage and competing. You have to do that to be a bodybuilder.

Since bodybuilding is a beauty pageant a better example may be Miss universe. Is every chick that thinks she is hot a miss universe contestant even though they don't enter beauty pagents and never will.

Is every lean sporty chick a figure competitor even if they never compete.

BB is so easy to mock and i apologise if it offends anyone here. I guess part of that stems from my misunderstanding, eg
Why would a man want to enter a beauty pageant? Makes far more sense for a man to compete in a test of strength, whether that be pl, strongman, oly lifting etc.
Why would someone want to put themselves at health risk in comp prep?
Why would someone be so self image deranged that their whole lifestyle revolves around what they look like?

Powerlifting is as much about ego and selfimage as bb. Your off your head if you think otherwise. It makes you feel good to be strong, helps to make you feel less inadequate. The powerlifter and the bodybuilder are both lifting for the same reason the bb trainee just doesn't deny he is driven by ego.

Ok using your freediver example.

Am I a freediver if I just read about freediving online and play with my freediving gear at home but never ever actually go freediving.

Am I a fisherman if I read a few fishing magazines and tie a few knots in my shed and get the gear but have never gone fishing in my life.

The thing that defines bodybuilding is getting up on stage and competing. You have to do that to be a bodybuilder.

Since bodybuilding is a beauty pageant a better example may be Miss universe. Is every chick that thinks she is hot a miss universe contestant even though they don't enter beauty pagents and never will.

Is every lean sporty chick a figure competitor even if they never compete.

I don't entirely disagree with you on the BB'ing thing, I was just saying the 'competing' requirement to say that you 'do something' can't be applied to everything. Maybe Pistachio etc...enjoy Bodybuilding, but are not a Bodybuilder.
Your fisherman and freediver examples are a bit different, I'd say definitely no...just because you have the equipment, doesn't make you a participant. I used that example because I do it regularly, I have done advanced courses and I train for it. I guess following the hard and fast rules, I enjoy freediving, but I'm not a free-diver (competitively)....I can live with that :)

Hot chick to bodybuilder - "WOW, you look like you lift a lot!"
Hot chick to powerlifter - "really? you deadlift 250 kilos??......what's a deadlift?"

:D

Couldn't resist, sorry

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4gHoJgRzEw]Powerlifter Bodybuilding poses/cocky bodybuilder parody. - YouTube[/ame]

Odd debate really. A number of bodybuilders come from powerlifting backgrounds. the ones with the powerlifting foundation always look thicker and more solid. That doesn't win them the contest though. Politics and poofery seems to win the bb contests.

I choreographed and trained a junior bodybuilder. He walked onto the stage at 6foot 2 and 110kg with 19 inch arms and a deep thick back. Lean and defined. There was no weight division in the juniors and he came second to a blonde rinsed little boy who weighed 72kg at 5foot8, arms maybe 15 inches. The little boy trained at a mainstream gym and mixed with all the right people.