• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I actually agree. I've scene strong gym guys shit themselves with a bar on the platform.

It is very different indeed.

I used to be a soccer player, I kick the ball in the backyard with my son now, I'm not a soccer player anymore.

Although take nothing away from the people who train hard in the gym.

Fuck me. Here we go.

Let me make one thing clear first. Before I was even a wannabe PL'er I was a wannabe BB'er. I spent 18 months bulking in prep for a comp but ended up bailing due to an injury and some life changes. I am still an avid BB fan and spend every year waiting for the Arnold and Olympia to come around so I can cheer for Phil Heath and boo Jay Cutler.

Anybody can enter a BB comp as well as a PL comp but in both cases if they haven't put themselves through months of comp prep they will more than likely get owned. Don't try calling BB'ing more special or more arduous. Ask any elite level PL'er what they put themselves throught for comps and its just as big of a journey as a BB'er.

And I stand by the competition requirement for the title. I don't care if you're stronger or bigger than everybody else, having the balls to get on the platform/stage is where you earn the title.

I don't think BBers are more special. The point is I don't think PLers are more special. That's the irony. I think they are more or less equal. But bodybuilding comp prep is definitely a bitch when it comes to diet, having to get to 3-5% bodyfat, dehydrate, basically put yourself in an unhealthy state etc. And THAT is why I don't compete. PLers don't have to do that. Sure, take laxatives and shit to make weight, but you don't have to put yourself in a ridiculously unhealthy state.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in entertaining this argument much longer.

I guess I"m just your average gym rat.

"Haven't seen any impressive pics of someone who doesn't do them...."

Look up a guy called Gary Luer, sure he did a few squats but never saw him do deadlifts.

I asked him once has he always trained relatively light, focusing on feel and form, and he said yes in terms of most of his improvement.

There are other huge bb's in the US who trained almost exclusively on machines. When i trained in LA for six weeks, i saw not one person doing deadlifts.

Never saw Sonny Schmidt do dead lifts ever, and he came 6th in Mr Olympia.

Sorry mate, I should clarify that I meant "on this forum"...basically a dig at most of the people on here who whinge and argue instead of just lifting :p

Is there even a bodybuilding sub section mod?
In the bodybuilding section bodybuilders can be called pussies/gay by powerlifters.

I wonder what would happen if it was the other way around.

I have a lot respect for actual bodybuilders.

I like to have a bit of a joke at wannabe Internet bodybuilders expense because most seem to have no sense of humor.

Not that it would matter anyway but I'm not a powerlifter call them what ever you want.

I don't think BBers are more special. The point is I don't think PLers are more special. That's the irony. I think they are more or less equal. But bodybuilding comp prep is definitely a bitch when it comes to diet, having to get to 3-5% bodyfat, dehydrate, basically put yourself in an unhealthy state etc. And THAT is why I don't compete. PLers don't have to do that. Sure, take laxatives and shit to make weight, but you don't have to put yourself in a ridiculously unhealthy state.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in entertaining this argument much longer.

I guess I"m just your average gym rat.

Try cutting weight and not losing any strength, especially in IPF comps where you only have a 2hr weigh in and can't spend dehydrate yourself too much. It ain't fucking easy.

Neither PL or BB are more special than the other and anybody who suggests so is a dick by my standards.

And yes you're just a gym rat, you don't have to be average but you're still just a gym rat because you aren't willing to push your body through the extremes of comp prep.

pistachio, in your sig. its says you long term goal is 5-8%BF, so why not compete?

I should probably change that to 8%, 5% is probably a bit overambitious lol. I haven't changed my sig in ages.

But in any case, it is highly unlikely I'd ever compete as I am extremely critical of myself and I can never see myself having the goods to compete. Plus I have one of the widest waists you'll ever see which is not conducive to producing an aesthetic look.

I've seen guys at my gym who are half my size, but still look like they'd beat me on stage.

If I look half decent at the end of this year after cutting, I might consider it next year. But chances are, I won't have the confidence to pull it off.

Bodybuilders
026.jpg

Not Bodybuilders
index.php

Try cutting weight and not losing any strength, especially in IPF comps where you only have a 2hr weigh in and can't spend dehydrate yourself too much. It ain't fucking easy.

Neither PL or BB are more special than the other and anybody who suggests so is a dick by my standards.

And yes you're just a gym rat, you don't have to be average but you're still just a gym rat because you aren't willing to push your body through the extremes of comp prep.

Incidentally, I did cut weight and gain strength last year. I went from 106kgs to 90kgs and my deadlift, bench and squat all improved.

Obviously I'm not at an elite level however, so that probably isn't surprising.

But yes, I appreciate that dropping weight for a comp and not losing strength is not an easy task. Although I think that dropping weight to make a weight class (and then instantly putting it back on before you lift) is pretty similar to cheating anyway, although obviously everyone does it because you need every edge you can get.

And you are right, I'm not wililng to push myself to the extremes. Because I do this for health and longevity, not for vanity. I am willing to push myself as far as I can safely, but I'm not going to put myself deliberately into an unhealthy state and take laxatives and dehydrate myself all for a bit of ego validation.

I should probably change that to 8%, 5% is probably a bit overambitious lol. I haven't changed my sig in ages.

But in any case, it is highly unlikely I'd ever compete as I am extremely critical of myself and I can never see myself having the goods to compete. Plus I have one of the widest waists you'll ever see which is not conducive to producing an aesthetic look.

I've seen guys at my gym who are half my size, but still look like they'd beat me on stage.

If I look half decent at the end of this year after cutting, I might consider it next year. But chances are, I won't have the confidence to pull it off.

Nobody will be able to disrespect you if you've had the balls to step on stage and go toe-to-toe with other competitors. Maybe do a mock comp prep to see how you will look on stage, or choose a really low-key comp as a test run.

Incidentally, I did cut weight and gain strength last year. I went from 106kgs to 90kgs and my deadlift, bench and squat all improved.

Obviously I'm not at an elite level however, so that probably isn't surprising.

But yes, I appreciate that dropping weight for a comp and not losing strength is not an easy task. Although I think that dropping weight to make a weight class (and then instantly putting it back on before you lift) is pretty similar to cheating anyway, although obviously everyone does it because you need every edge you can get.

And you are right, I'm not wililng to push myself to the extremes. Because I do this for health and longevity, not for vanity. I am willing to push myself as far as I can safely, but I'm not going to put myself deliberately into an unhealthy state and take laxatives and dehydrate myself all for a bit of ego validation.

I compete IPF, we have 2hr weigh in and can on average only really safely cut a 1-2kg and then regain about half if we are lucky. In CAPO/GCP they have 24hr weigh ins and can lose 5-10kg sometimes and then put it nearly all back on but even they admit that's cheating compared to the IPF rules.

Laxatives aren't compulsory. My sponsor did 4 bb comps himself and never used laxatives or other diuretics. He just did very careful water cuts.

Last edited:
There are also some that just want to improve their physique and be the best they can which is quite normal this conversation however is not.

You can do it mate.

I'll see how I look at the end of this year and assess from there.

I would love to do it just once, but on the same token, it would be very disheartening to step on stage and see all these guys with amazing physiques. I feel like if I can't be the best at my gym, I won't be the best on stage. I'm probably one of the biggest guys at my gym, but definitely not the best.

Nobody will be able to disrespect you if you've had the balls to step on stage and go toe-to-toe with other competitors. Maybe do a mock comp prep to see how you will look on stage, or choose a really low-key comp as a test run.

I compete IPF, we have 2hr weigh in and can on average only really safely cut a 1-2kg and then regain about half if we are lucky. In CAPO/GCP they have 24hr weigh ins and can lose 5-10kg sometimes and then put it nearly all back on but even they admit that's cheating compared to the IPF rules.

Laxatives aren't compulsory. My sponsor did 4 bb comps himself and never used laxatives or other diuretics. He just did very careful water cuts.

Yeah fair enough. I would be much more inclined to do it if I could do it safely, subject to me feeling confident enough to actually compete of course.

It is in this sense (and in this sense only) that I'd find it FAR easier to compete in PL, as you don't need to give a shit what you look like, just how much you weigh. You need to be such a god damn perfectionist if you want to be a bodybuilder.

Lifting of weights for the beautiful body or for the sake of lifting weights is just dumb anyway. My mum reckons it shrinks your brain.

There isn't that much different between the two and internet power-biulders IMO
Did I just invent a new club?
I'm a power biulder!