• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone here make quark?

Mate Quark is NOTHING like cottage cheese, I am not a fan of cottage cheese and have bought some with intention of eating it and ended up throwing it out:mad:, this stuff is addictive especially mixed with berries and stuff, craps all over yogurt as well.

Apart from that if you make it you know whats in it, my beef jerky I now make has all natural ingredients, with zero preservatives and unknown chemicals added.

Just something to think about anyway, but the taste will make all the difference to me.:)

EDIT:
I do however wish I could just buy the stuff in a shop like you can in Germany...

got a recipe / instructions for the beef jerky Mick ?

Easy mate, I make a few.

1) Rump Steak, salt, pepper, chilli (powder or Sambel Olek).

2) Rump Steak, soy sauce and fresh garlic.

3) Rump Steak, salt, coriander powder and coriander flakes

4) Rump Steak, soy sauce, fresh chilli, fresh garlic.

or any combination there off have yet to try and make some sort of BBQ or smoked rib flavour, but have not gotten around to it yet:)

I did, from powdered skim milk and butter milk. It was bit of a failure, since I've burnt the milk (got to get a thermometer next time) and I didn't have proper cheesecloth.

The failure still tasted pretty good and I made a baileys irish cream cheesecake out of it. Was pretty damn good, it would have been even better if I had proper tools to begin with.

Easy mate, I make a few.

1) Rump Steak, salt, pepper, chilli (powder or Sambel Olek).

2) Rump Steak, soy sauce and fresh garlic.

3) Rump Steak, salt, coriander powder and coriander flakes

4) Rump Steak, soy sauce, fresh chilli, fresh garlic.

or any combination there off have yet to try and make some sort of BBQ or smoked rib flavour, but have not gotten around to it yet:)

so.....just cut into strips,marinade it and let it dry out ?
of course I could just google beef jerky instead of being a lazy bugger ;)

btw Mick I am googling this now :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother making it.

Local woolies stocks it so it's not drama. It's in the specialty cheese section though, near the deli. Maybe you need to search more?

EDIT: Just realised OP was a while ago. Oh well.

Last edited:
The issue with the woolies Quark is the high fat content. Quark is supposed to be fat free...

yep, want low fat...so I can add peanut butter :)

oioi: so you tried it in the big saucepan method not the easiyo?

I just got mine going then. Just made sure the milk with culture was at 30C and the surrounding water was 37C. The culture I got said it makes 8L worth so I just tried to use a tiny bit. Was very hard though as it was all crusted together.

I don't really have any idea what "quark" is, but by the descriptions is sounds a lot like chobani which is AMAZING.. Epic taste and macros, and can get it fat free, low fat and flavored.. Woolies also often has it on special with 5 tubs for $5.. I use it with some lemon juice and garlic and chives for on chicken and fish.. Mix it with berries and honey for sweetness.. There's heaps of recipes around for using it.. Love the stuff!..

draft_lens18403874module154353726photo_1319066384chobani_nutrition_facts.j

Last edited:
it's kind of similar to chobani, except it's much much thicker, like cheese. I want to make cheesecakes out of it... it has about 50% more protein per 100g than chobani...

yep, I make a lot of cheesecakes also and currently use 50/50 cottage cheese & ricotta. The original recipe did call for quark but I never thought it was an option.

Will see tomorrow :)

yep, I make a lot of cheesecakes also and currently use 50/50 cottage cheese & ricotta. The original recipe did call for quark but I never thought it was an option.

Will see tomorrow :)

I just used a big pot, in oven. But I've burned the milk a bit while heating it up on the stove. Also I was using buttermilk for the cultures. I guess I should try with a proper culture. Also I kept it in the oven at 35-40C, at least that's what oven indicated.

I will give it another go once I get the proper tools...

After 24hrs at 30ish C
2012-10-19%252007.26.31.jpg

After 12hrs straining
2012-10-18%252021.09.10.jpg

done
2012-10-19%252007.26.44.jpg

My 1L of UHT powdered milk only made 150g :( Is this "normal" or maybe I made the milk a bit weak? (no measuring)

Will see how I go with the next 500ml batch.

And am I right in saying that I could basically refill the easiyo straight up with fresh milk without washing it and the cultures in there would continue to make fresh cheese?

I think it's more important how much powder you have used instead of how many litres of milk you have made.

I would wash it, the issue is, the cultures will get infected by other bacteria. That's why you heat up the milk to sterilise it. What you can do is after the first 2 hours of fermenting (or what ever you want to call this process) you can set aside some milk with the culture. Later on, you can use that as a starter. You can freeze it etc.

From what I recall skim milk has around 35% protein? The rest is lactose, aka, food for bacteria. 80% of milk is composed Casein and 20% of it is whey. When you make cheese, you keep the casein, but you will drain the whey. You can set the whey aside and make ricotta cheese out of it. There are recipes out on internet.

If your milk had lets say, 3.5g of protein per 100ml, that's total of 35g of protein. If you lose 20% of it, that's 28g of protein kept in the cheese, you should have got around 200g.

If your cheese is around 14g protein per 100g, you got around 21g of protein.

My guess is that you didn't use enough powder.

My guess is that you have used around 75g of powder to make milk?

Going to give this a try very soon, I've ordered some supplies over the net :D

Couple of questions JZ or any cheese heads:

- Where did you guys get your cultures?

- What sort of sterilizer did you use and where did you get it?

- How long do you think the quark last?

I've kept my quark in fridge for 5 days. I didn't have any issues, but 3 days are recommended. If you make too much you can always freeze it.

I think it's more important how much powder you have used instead of how many litres of milk you have made.

I would wash it, the issue is, the cultures will get infected by other bacteria. That's why you heat up the milk to sterilise it. What you can do is after the first 2 hours of fermenting (or what ever you want to call this process) you can set aside some milk with the culture. Later on, you can use that as a starter. You can freeze it etc.

From what I recall skim milk has around 35% protein? The rest is lactose, aka, food for bacteria. 80% of milk is composed Casein and 20% of it is whey. When you make cheese, you keep the casein, but you will drain the whey. You can set the whey aside and make ricotta cheese out of it. There are recipes out on internet.

If your milk had lets say, 3.5g of protein per 100ml, that's total of 35g of protein. If you lose 20% of it, that's 28g of protein kept in the cheese, you should have got around 200g.

If your cheese is around 14g protein per 100g, you got around 21g of protein.

My guess is that you didn't use enough powder.

My guess is that you have used around 75g of powder to make milk?

Thanks mate. Explains a lot. I have no idea how much powder I used, I just added a fair few tbspns and then mixed it up. Will have to check this next time.

Off to look for ricotta recipes :)

ANd I'd answer the Q's but I'm not a cheese head, just a noob! I got my culture from the local beer brewery.