• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone do the Arnold Blueprint?

Can I ask why?
Is it cos stimulating at 1/2 the vol twice as often produces a better environment for the muscle to grow?
Suppose you are throwing in another element to the same weekly volume.

Most of us seem to have a similar mix of slow and fast twitch throughout the body, and most of us seem to respond better to less time spent working out (volume) but heavier weight at a higher intensity of work to stimulate muscle growth and all things being right, full recovery takes about 48 hours.

because we all have differing ratios of slow and fast twitch, pre-fatigue is just one tool to use to optimize muscle tissue growth, which then enables strength increase.

Is it only impossible if you had the same amount of time per day or week to train?
What if time wasn't a factor?

The intensity of work in a workout that lasted an hour would not be the same as a workout that lasted 15 minutes.
it would be impossible.

intensity of work, is not the look in the face, or the concentration or what not, it's the capacity.

It is simply impossible to build muscular size or strength by performing that which you are already capable of easily doing; you must constantly attempt the momentarily impossible, and such attempts should involve maximum possible efforts – but only after the muscles have been properly "warmed-up", and only after they have been worked to the point of momentary exhaustion immediately before the maximum possible effort leading to a failure is attempted.

OK so its the intensity that gets the vote, rather than the frequency in this case?
Definitely
You can be in the gym 7 days a week but if you're not giving your muscles the required stimulus (intensity) then nothing will change.

Yep true enough. Actually I was chatting to an older bloke in the gym down here near mums house today about how many of the young guys he sees in the gym make zero progress year to year and wonder why. He said they "simply dont work hard enough", although most are there erry day. Was a semi jacked 55 yo. Cool dude.

Tim.

Definitely
You can be in the gym 7 days a week but if you're not giving your muscles the required stimulus (intensity) then nothing will change.
Darkoz is spot on. However for the sake of the less experienced members on here, I would just like to qualify what Darkoz meant by his usage of the term "intensity". When Darkoz (or any knowledgeable and experienced lifter for that matter) uses the term "intensity", they are not simply restricting this to the load on the bar no, ...you see, intensity comes in many shape and sizes. It comes in the form of less time spent recovering between sets, to an increase in repetitions and/or sets, to progressively increasing the weight on the bar. It can even come in the form of momentum elimination, ..by that I mean you consciously stop at the half way mark whilst performing a movement, instead of using a continuous and flowing motion. An example here would be the complete stop at the bottom of (say) a squat lift, where your drive out of the "hole" is done minus the "bounce".

That's all I wanted to add,. I hope you didn't mind me doing so Darkoz. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.

Minimizing, in fact *eliminating* momentum shouldn't be just an option but more a requirement for proper exercise in that it is a true measure of a high level of "intensity of work".

"consciously stopping " Or pausing in the contracted position and squeezing for a second is a good thing.
I think that's what fadi means, rather than "half way mark"?

Definitely

well put.

Attempt the momentarily impossible, it's that last repetition, that delivers.
recovery is also important.

Minimizing, in fact *eliminating* momentum shouldn't be just an option but more a requirement for proper exercise in that it is a true measure of a high level of "intensity of work".

"consciously stopping " Or pausing in the contracted position and squeezing for a second is a good thing.
I think that's what fadi means, rather than "half way mark"?
Precisely that, thank you Andy!

Fadi.

Darkoz is spot on. However for the sake of the less experienced members on here, I would just like to qualify what Darkoz meant by his usage of the term "intensity". When Darkoz (or any knowledgeable and experienced lifter for that matter) uses the term "intensity", they are not simply restricting this to the load on the bar no, ...you see, intensity comes in many shape and sizes. It comes in the form of less time spent recovering between sets, to an increase in repetitions and/or sets, to progressively increasing the weight on the bar. It can even come in the form of momentum elimination, ..by that I mean you consciously stop at the half way mark whilst performing a movement, instead of using a continuous and flowing motion. An example here would be the complete stop at the bottom of (say) a squat lift, where your drive out of the "hole" is done minus the "bounce".

That's all I wanted to add,. I hope you didn't mind me doing so Darkoz. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.
Agreed Fadi, intensity certainly isn't just about the weight on the bar

yep, and that is why gary lewer trained more intense than most for bb, despite hardly going heavy or pushing to absolute failure on sets.

Don't you love bb babble bullshit. Arnold's program is great for adding mass for no other reason then it is a shit load of volume.

Lift 3 x as much as your old program you blow up.

Brick, I never said anything wrong with Arnold's approach; it obviously works. I know many guys who still use it and get results.

I just offered a view that many ways to train to get overload to build muscle.