• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone dealing with depression of anxiety?

I never knew what it was to be depressed and anxious until mid last year when after increasing stresses, an all year slide in my physical condition and relationship with my initial trainer, I got fired by him and found myself back at 40kg, June-Nov a blur of stress and tears, endless endless tears. I also experienced the makings of panic attacks a few times, one of them while trying to go thru the doors of a big gym for the first tiime.
Now I am on leave from work to work on myself, not really optional leave, strongly suggested by my employer. My behaviour has changed so much. I'm just not the person I was 3 years or so ago.
It's as though finally, I just can no longer cope. Everyday things set me off. One little thing that is a normal everyday drama can send me into misery for days...and for me, misery means no eating. The medics tested me for rare adrenal tumors, checked all my stress related levels etc....fricken stressed me out while they were doing it. Nothing wrong with me physically.

So far I have been able to avoid medication, although everyone loves to ask you if you have considered it and then try to hide their dissapointment when you say no. My depression and anxiety are reactive, there were multiple triggers over a number of years.

My way back is based on accessing the support networks I have available to me, my case manager, my councilor, my psychologist, my GP, my family, friends and my trainer. They all play a part and I lean on them when I need to. I call them 'Team Em'. They are key to my way back to finding myself and making me happy. Training is my main medicine. It is my joy.

Last edited:
I advise you to order a 4 a day adrenocoretex stress profile from pathlabs im. Cortisol often appears sufficient at first serum draw during the morning most people write this of as acceptable however Alot are learning that this way of determining adrenal sufficiency is outdated and irrelevant for most.

Panic attacks are a tell tale sign of too low cortisol, blood sugar drops and the body reacts with fight or flight.

Adrenal insufficiency also directly effects metabolism and neurotransmitters. Pregnenolone ( next step from cholesterol and precursor to our hormones) has been shown to regulate the nmda receptor. This was discovered from a study of statin use and depression. Statin use downregulates cholesterol and thus pregnenolone synthesis.

Ct scan can not show adrenal insufficiency either can single serum draws( unless it is substantially low) .

Noobs are you talking to me, or all the stress heads here?
I already had plasma catecholamines, which came back with an elevated noradrenaline level. Then I had plasma metanephrines which came back all normal. Vit D levels on low end of normal range.

Noobs are you talking to me, or all the stress heads here?
I already had plasma catecholamines, which came back with an elevated noradrenaline level. Then I had plasma metanephrines which came back all normal. Vit D levels on low end of normal range.

You eje.

I would reccomend someone in your situation be supplementing with vit d3 magnesium and vit a straight away.

Healthy Origins, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 360 Softgels - iHerb.com

Country Life, Natural Vitamin A, 10,000 IU, 100 Softgels - iHerb.com

Now Foods, Magnesium Citrate, 200 mg, 250 Tablets - iHerb.com

Order cortisol test here - PathLabIM.com.au - PathLab Integrative Medicine

Test is listed under ENDOCRONOLOGY ADRENOCORTEX STRESS PROFILE SALIVARY - $90.00

You eje.

I would reccomend someone in your situation be supplementing with vit d3 magnesium and vit a straight away.

Healthy Origins, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 360 Softgels - iHerb.com

Country Life, Natural Vitamin A, 10,000 IU, 100 Softgels - iHerb.com

Now Foods, Magnesium Citrate, 200 mg, 250 Tablets - iHerb.com

Order cortisol test here - PathLabIM.com.au - PathLab Integrative Medicine

Test is listed under ENDOCRONOLOGY ADRENOCORTEX STRESS PROFILE SALIVARY - $90.00

OK Noobs, i will have a look

Not a problem.. If you have anymore questions let me know..

Once you have properly investigated if adrenals/thyroid are culprit for your problems you can move onto other things.

Neuroactive Steroids as Endogenous Modulators of Anxiety

In the past decades considerable evidence has emerged that certain so called neuroactive steroids not only act as transcription factors in the regulation of gene expression but may also alter neuronal excitability through interaction with specific neurotransmitter receptors such as γ-aminobutyric acid type A (GABAA), N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) and glutamate receptors. There is growing evidence that neuroactive steroids play an important role as endogenous modulators of neuronal function and behavioural processes and that alterations of endogenous neuroactive steroid concentrations may contribute to the pathophysiology of affective disorders. In view of their positive allosteric potential at GABAA-receptors, especially 3α-reduced neuroactive steroids have been suggested to play a major role in the pathophysiology of anxiety disorders. In panic disorder patients a dysequilibrium of neuroactive steroid composition has been observed, which may represent counterregulatory mechanisms against the occurrence of spontaneous panic attacks.
Therefore, attenuation of neuroactive steroid concentrations either by synthetic derivates of neuroactive steroids or by modulation of endogenous neurosteroid synthesis might constitute a promising novel strategy for the treatment of anxiety disorders.
In conclusion, neuroactive steroids are important endogenous modulators of depression and anxiety and may provide a basis for development of novel therapeutic agents in the treatment of affective disorders

Neuroactive Steroid Levels in Patients With Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Serum levels of allopregnanolone, pregnenolone sulfate, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate were measured in 8 male patients with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and 8 healthy control subjects. Results suggest that patients with GAD have significantly lower levels of pregnenolone sulfate than control subjects.

Low pregnenolone sulphate plasma concentrations in patients with generalized social phobia

These results are particularly interesting since we also observed lower pregnenolone sulphate concentrations in male patients suffering from generalized anxiety disorder. Their relevance to the pathophysiology of social anxiety disorder remains to be determined.

Neuroactive Steroids in Depression and Anxiety Disorders: Clinical Studies
In patients with panic disorder, changes in neuroactive steroid composition have been observed opposite to those seen in depression. However, during experimentally induced panic induction either with cholecystokinine-tetrapeptide or sodium lactate, there was a pronounced decline in the concentrations of 3α-reduced neuroactive steroids in patients with panic disorder, which might result in a decreased GABAergic tone. In contrast, no changes in neuroactive steroid concentrations could be observed in healthy controls with the exception of 3α,5α-tetrahydrodeoxycorticosterone. The modulation of GABAA receptors by neuroactive steroids might contribute to the pathophysiology of depression and anxiety disorders and might offer new targets for the development of novel anxiolytic compounds.

I never knew what it was to be depressed and anxious until mid last year when after increasing stresses, an all year slide in my physical condition and relationship with my initial trainer, I got fired by him and found myself back at 40kg, June-Nov a blur of stress and tears, endless endless tears. I also experienced the makings of panic attacks a few times, one of them while trying to go thru the doors of a big gym for the first tiime.
Now I am on leave from work to work on myself, not really optional leave, strongly suggested by my employer. My behaviour has changed so much. I'm just not the person I was 3 years or so ago.
It's as though finally, I just can no longer cope. Everyday things set me off. One little thing that is a normal everyday drama can send me into misery for days...and for me, misery means no eating. The medics tested me for rare adrenal tumors, checked all my stress related levels etc....fricken stressed me out while they were doing it. Nothing wrong with me physically.

So far I have been able to avoid medication, although everyone loves to ask you if you have considered it and then try to hide their dissapointment when you say no. My depression and anxiety are reactive, there were multiple triggers over a number of years.

My way back is based on accessing the support networks I have available to me, my case manager, my councilor, my psychologist, my GP, my family, friends and my trainer. They all play a part and I lean on them when I need to. I call them 'Team Em'. They are key to my way back to finding myself and making me happy. Training is my main medicine. It is my joy.

Yes. I took November off. The time off did nothing. It was only when I was prescribed anti-depressants that I realised noone was there to save me. So a week after taking them i chucked the rest in the bin and have been looking at ways to save myself. Its a work in progress.

Interesting fact. If you have enough almonds, apples, or coconuts - it can make you depressed.

When I first incorporated almonds into my diet I was omnomnom'ing on them a fair bit in the first couple of days. The second day I had about 150-200 of them; and felt so so so depressed.......

Whats the mechanism for this?

If i had to eat 200 almonds i would be bloody depressed as well.

I didn't know how many I was spose to take, and took far too many within a space of a couple of hours. That's it.

Well I thought I'd bump this thread with my own experiences. I've been diagnosed in past with both depression and schizoaffective disorder. My mother has also suffered most of her life with severe mental illness as well. My symptoms started emerging when I was in my early teens. Without going into too much detail I was diagnosed with these things and have been on a plethora of medications and seen a bunch of psychs for the past 9 years. Currently I'm on cymbalta (anti dep) and thyroxin for an under active thyroid. I came off of solian (antipsych) about 4 months ago.

I was interested to read Christian's opinion though about gut health making a substantial difference. As I said I have hypothyroidism but I also have a fatty liver resulting in levels of poor liver function. I also have quite a poor diet. I'm not nearly as emotionally unstable as I used to be but I do still have significant daily struggles with anxiety and don't manage to do much at all but lay in bed or watch tv/go on my comp. Lately though I have been training well so I exercise about 4 times a week but it takes a lot of effort.

Last edited:
I have no idea if this has been covered or not but can or is depression a genetic thing...both my sister and father suffer from depression plus I think acouple of other ppl in my family (not 100% sure).

I have always thought about this...never looked into it tho.

^^^

One would assume so, there is so much question as to what it is exactly.. All im trying to do is link the dots.

I have anxiety.

Last week i had 3 days of feeling like a normal person. Then i forgot my dosages of what i am working on now and felt crap again. Skin erupted in allergic response. I started on ketotifen fumerate 1mg 20 min before each meal. Idea is to fix the immune response allow gut to heal and reduce cytokines. google the cytokine hypothesis of depression its in the literiture...

Re schizophrenia and 200boy and also hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism has been linked to increased intestinal permiability some link it to cause others link it to a symptom of down regulated immune system. Either way something is out of wack. I remember reading a bit about histamine and schizophrenia, there was a need to give large amounts of niacin and it apparently helped alot of people doing so.. The idea behind this was the niacin releases histamine from mast cells. Well ketotifen fumerate is a mast cell stabaliser ( what im taking). There seems to be a big emphasis on immune system histamine and cytokines in "mental illness". Im not giving you protocols or things to do mearly linking dots and thinking óut loud'.

If you search google scholar for these things they will come up.

theres a link between anxiety depression and low hormone levels.

also most males who have the condition do for years and ont realise it.

i had both few months ago and was in a very bad place..now i just have anxiety. Its not easy. I feel for anyone who has this debilitative condition

i wont share my story,..lets just say 3 months ago i hit rock bottom...and it wasnt fun. coming back in to the gym after 2 yrs off was like a breathe of life. first thing i did was db bench..used to do 45kg's on each hand...first time back i had to do 17's...but the feeling when i left the gym was brilliant...endorfins count for something!

Last edited:
Best see a doctor about it mate. Throughout my time working at AMP and dealing with clients who had gone through depression, stress and anxiety, many of them got better through the medication they were taking. It's sad hearing their stories - many struggle to get out of bed. A friend of mine took her own life due to depression - her last facebook status update was "fuck getting out of bed". Although it's hard for me to say since I've never been in their situation - suicide should never be an option, for the sake of those loved ones around you.

That's a pretty sad story about your friend. I'd hope that anyone on here who's feeling down to that extent would reach out to those closest to them. Think of those closest to you and how it would destroy their lives if you took yours. There is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Tonight I opened a text from my psychiatrist...it said your appt tomorrow is cancelled..your Dr is gone overseas for an exended period...a letter will be sent to your GP for follow up......15 weeks of weekly appointments starts all over again...going back over the fucking nightmare that i have been through in the last 6 months that got me to here again....i am so fucking pissed off..i am so fucking depressed and i am so fucking anxious right now...lights at the end of tunnels....yeah...i dont fucking think so....