• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Another beginner

No assistance gear is allowed inside PTC. Unless you wear a skirt. Guys Included. Using straps bypasses a weakness of bad grip. Train your grip.

Are you using a mixed grip or clean grip?

Clean grip. I find if I put my thumb over my pointer fingers it helps hold the bar. Sometimes I might get the bar up half way and the bar just comes out of the hands.

get used to mixed grip, its the only way to lift heavy. when both your hands hold the bar the same way the bar wants to roll out of your fingers. when your hands are facing opposite directions the "roll effect" from each hand is cancelled out so its much stronger.

No assistance gear is allowed inside PTC. Unless you wear a skirt.

youll probably find that even if you wear a skirt you wont be allowed :p

I had a new boy start last night, Arthur, 17.

You boys better get a hurry up, this kid is going to be strong, total novice.

First thing he saw when he walked in last night was Max putting 100kg overhead.

He has great flexibilty and has no issue getting into a good position for his lifts. His levers are as good as I've seen.

I will post results after he's had 3-4 sessions, last night was simply a feeler, I like to check the mobility and ROM on the big lifts.

He will be my next 200kg deadlifting 17yo, I have 2, I'm collecting them lol

Daryl is on 155kg, but Arthur will pass him very, very quickly.

Not very, 160 something

Had another guy start on Saturday. He has been lifting at a clients gym in Caulfield. Obviously he has been doing all the right stuff.

The gym owner (James) brought Tim along because he wants to get strong and lift heavy weights. James had already done all the preperation work with KB's etc, so Tim was good to go once I checked his form.

Tim said he wanted to squat 120kg by February. James had only taken him up to 60kg for reps, building a sound base, as Tim squatted 120kg around 15 minutes later. He also benched 80kg and rack pulled 180kg.

Big Nick works at the same gym, not sure how much input he's had in Tims training so far.

I previously had a thread over on the dark side about James, my 60yo client.

Well he deadlifted 180kg on Friday and pulled 190kg to his knees. He started lifting in March for the first time. He has his squat up to 140kg and bench to 92.5kg.

OK Seriously... I cant let old James beat me to 200kg! Ill be down week before christmas to put my name on the board ;)

Hey PTC I noticed a couple pages back you mentioned that anyone doing Rippetoes or Starting Strength won't get as good results as on your program, just wondering, whats wrong with those programs?

Nothing at all wrong with them, one of the best rep schemes around for the right lifter.

Some lifters are doing 5 x 5 on MP with 25kg, that is a waste of time.

20 rep squats is the greatest mass and strength builder for novices.

High rep squats in general are better than low rep for lots of lifters.

On bench press 5 x 5 works extremely well, deadlifts and powercleans work best with 2-3 reps.

This can get complicated for the novice lifter, so Bill Starr simplified, his original program was for high schools, generally teachers instructing.

I think the results of my 17yo son shows that my method is more effective than starting strength, compare numbers/bodyweight/experience against the owner of that sight, Max destroys him at 17yo.

For the novice lifter uncapable of using an assortment of reps and sets and is happy to keep it simple, use Bill Starrs 5 x 5.

But if youre after the best results, there are better ways, much better ways.

Bluey, James managed a 185kg deadlift tonight, get your skates on lol

Max managed a 170kg squat @ 70kg. His total is 685kg, just 15kg shy of 10 x bodyweight. His squat is only 5kg shy of 2.5 x bodyweight.

Nothing at all wrong with them, one of the best rep schemes around for the right lifter.

Some lifters are doing 5 x 5 on MP with 25kg, that is a waste of time.

20 rep squats is the greatest mass and strength builder for novices.

High rep squats in general are better than low rep for lots of lifters.

On bench press 5 x 5 works extremely well, deadlifts and powercleans work best with 2-3 reps.

This can get complicated for the novice lifter, so Bill Starr simplified, his original program was for high schools, generally teachers instructing.

I think the results of my 17yo son shows that my method is more effective than starting strength, compare numbers/bodyweight/experience against the owner of that sight, Max destroys him at 17yo.

For the novice lifter uncapable of using an assortment of reps and sets and is happy to keep it simple, use Bill Starrs 5 x 5.

But if youre after the best results, there are better ways, much better ways.

Ahh cheers, I'm just doing starting strength at the moment, and i guess its going alright. Started it a while back but then got into the crossfit phase (stupid me) and then got back into it about a month ago. I've tried to follow it to a T, but they have been workouts that i have rathers just work on form and get that weight solid before going up again. Altogether i've been on it for about 4 months and results have been:
Squats: 60-100kg
Bench: 35-60kg
OHP: 30-50kg
Deadlift: 60-90kg