• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Another beginner

This Canadian dude was going on the other day about this "powerhouse Japanese guy who squats" in the gym. [...] only 55kg squats They obviously haven`t seen many people squat.
"In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Last night on SBS was a show about an Aussie-Vietnamese guy who went back to Vietnam to explore its cuisine. It's a good show, but there was something funny in it for us.

One of the things it showed was down on the riverside all the seafood is unloaded by fishermen, and the women - most of them not young women, lots were grey-haired and wrinkled - sort it out by type. They put it into a couple of baskets, the baskets go one either side of a pole, the pole across the shoulders. Then the women walk about 200m along the beach, and up some stairs - probably about 1-2 stories' worth.

The guy said, "alright, I'm going to give this a go... there's about 20kg of fish in each basket." He gave up after 50 metres. "I don't know how they do it!" he said. They didn't show if the women were laughing at him, but they probably were.

So a 40-50kg little old Vietnamese lady could carry 40kg along the beach and up the stairs without trouble. But a 60-70kg young Aussie male couldn't handle it. So I expect that if this guy went to the gym, he'd be impressed by almost anyone who'd been training properly for a month or two.

In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

I remember how crappy my results were when I started out doing split routines. Chest day, legs day, back day, arm day.... Wasn't till I took up fighting as a sport and did full body workouts with only the basic exercises (squat, DL, BP, MP, WG Chins etc) did results come about.

Remember kiddies, you dont have time to make all the mistakes yourself. Look a those made by others.

Daryl just squatted 110kg x 10 @ 63kg
Max did 130kg x 10 @ 70kg
Alen did 130kg x 10 @ 87kg

Were having a record board for the most weight for 10 and looking for the first lifter to squat double bodyweight x 10

Update

Daryl squatted 120kg x 10 @ 64kg (1.8 x bodyweight)

Max squatted 140kg x 10 @ 70kg (double bodyweight)

How are you guys not following a beginners program doing????

That's awesome! Since signing up here I've tried your beginners program today since in the last 2 years I'm lifting no where near the figures coming out from your clients. I've been using a split routine, Chest/Tri, Shoulders/Biceps, Back/Legs, each twice a week, resting on Sunday...so after 1 session of a full body workout I honestly feel a heap better than my usual sessions!

Am I right in assuming PTC and others, that sticking to your basic beginners program for 12 odd months, varying the types of exercises (lifting overhead etc) every 2 or so months, that I'll get some much better gains than my old split routine? I certainly hope so, thanks for all the info, keep going with the updates, that's awesome!!

Lets ask the guys on here. Who can in under 2 years of lifting on a split routine

Squat double bodyweight x 10
Put 1.5 x bodyweight overhead
Clean 1.6 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2.7 x bodyweight
Do 20 perfect dead stop dead hang chins
Gain 20kg, and still be single digit bodyfat

I dont believe there is a better system for getting big and strong than this one.

I'd be very happy for someone to show me a better one, as I am always on the lookout for something to speed my clients progress.

Squat double bodyweight x 10
Put 1.5 x bodyweight overhead
Clean 1.6 x bodyweight
Deadlift 2.7 x bodyweight
Do 20 perfect dead stop dead hang chins
Gain 20kg, and still be single digit bodyfat
That's exactly what I'm chasing. I've always just been worried about gaining weight but "rounding off" or ending up tubby... But, as of today, I'm keen to crack this program as long as I possibly can. Any tips to match with diet? Would one similar to Fadi's 4000 calorie setup be suitable? Much appreciate the help yourself and others on this forum have given in such a short period of time :cool:

I havent checked Fadi's diet waz. My eating plans are incredibly simple, no processed foods.(some exceptions)

No bread, rice, pasta. Lean meats, veg and fruit, nuts, olive oil.

If you need to bulk up, add milk, if you need to lean up, eat less.

Just as my programs are simple, so are my diets.

Eat 4.5 calories for every kilo of bodyweight, spread 6 meals through the day, have a shake after training.

If your looking to lean up, eat 2.5 calories per kilo of bodyweight, spread through 5 meals a day.

I stay out of the diet threads, I get enough hate in the strength section speaking my mind, if I was to comment on the rubbish I see in the nutrition section, I would be burnt at the stake.

I keep all my nutrition information in my newsletters only, its such an easy uncomplicated subject that discussion is not warranted.

Most simply cant take the emotion out of eating.

Feed your body what it needs, not what you want.

Simple, but not easy

Last edited:
There is no best program PTC.
You will become unhappy if you try to search.

One method that does intrigue me is metabolic conditioning.

There is no best program PTC.
You will become unhappy if you try to search.

One method that does intrigue me is metabolic conditioning.

As far as split programs are concerned- I think there is really no such thing.
I tend to view a split as more of an emphasis on a particular body part.

I agree silver, not searching for the best, just using the best for right now. As my lifters progress and evolve, so do their programs.

On a forum like this with so many novices, they need direction, and all I'm stating is that nobody on here doing rippletoe or Stronglifts or anything else you care to name, can duplicate the results we have got.

We dont emphasise or train bodyparts, just lifts.

So yes, we do emphasise certain lifts during our cycles, once certain standards are achieved.

I have outlined those minimum standards elsewhere on this forum.

Update on the effectiveness of our basic training.

Max became the 43rd lifter to deadlift 200kg tonight, at 17 and 70kg

He also benched 100kg.

His total is currently 675kg. In September 2008 it was 450kg.

Daryl is a friend of Max's, its his best friend. He decided to start lifting a few weeks before BATB3.

Max trains him twice a week, for free obviously.

On Tuesday, Daryl benched 100kg and squatted 120kg x 2. His best powerclean is 80kg and push press is 70kg x 3. He hasnt attempted a deadlift PB for awhile, last effort was 140kg. It will be much higher now.

So these lifts dont look like much, until you realise he is 17 and weighs 60kg-63kg.

He is capable of a double bodyweight squat right now, and benches 1 1/2 x bodyweight.

He has 4 months total lifting experience.

He trains exactly the same way Max does, obviously, and the same way we train everyone at PTC, man, woman and child.

There has been debate recently, which is healthy, about programs etc

I stand by our training methods at PTC as the best around for producing brilliant results in the shortest possible time.

This 60kg kid totals close to 550kg after 4 months of lifting, I'll have Max test his PP and DL shortly.

At BATB3 he totalled 481kg, that was 2 months ago. A 70kg improve in 8 weeks is going okay I'd say.

Anybody want to bet he doesnt get 600kg at AD10?

Twice a week full body sessions with a 17yo trainer who knows as much about getting strong as anybody else I know.

So why are some guys doing split routines?????

Okay, its been 2 weeks since I started this thread. Daryl has improved on his lifts. He just squatted 140kg @ 63kg.

His lifts now are

squat 140kg
bench 100kg
deadlift 155kg
powerclean 85kg
push press 80kg

total 560kg @ 63kg

He trains full body twice a week, on Tuesday and Thursday. He only lifts at PTC and is only trained by Max.

Okay, its been 2 weeks since I started this thread. Daryl has improved on his lifts. He just squatted 140kg @ 63kg.

His lifts now are

squat 140kg
bench 100kg
deadlift 155kg
powerclean 85kg
push press 80kg

total 560kg @ 63kg

He trains full body twice a week, on Tuesday and Thursday. He only lifts at PTC and is only trained by Max.
**** me he's a strong little shit

PTC does any of your lifters use lifting straps for deadlifts? I think I can lift more, just my grip is what is letting me down.

No assistance gear is allowed inside PTC. Unless you wear a skirt. Guys Included. Using straps bypasses a weakness of bad grip. Train your grip.

Are you using a mixed grip or clean grip?