• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adjustments for 40-somethings

Damn, don't know what happened there. :confused::confused::confused:

I'll get back to you on that one!

OK sorry for that, I hit a wrong button somewhere.

Basically I'm trying to get advice on what sort of adjustments the over 40s need to make to the normal training and nutrition advice you read (I'm 42). Most of the info you read is geared towards your most typical trainer, being around 18-35. A lot of the guys who tell you what worked for them are in this age bracket.

Example - some guys on the forum advocate full cream milk and say they haven't got fat. But the metabolism of a 22yo and 42yo are two very different things. Young guys can eat like pigs and not get fat. Once they're mid 30s it's a different story.

With training, I get sore joints (elbows, knees etc). I know younger guys do as well. Basically just wondering if there is anything that I should be doing differently to what I would have if I was in my prime. I've only started training in the last 7 months or so.

It's not really "metabolism" as such. It's what they call NEAT, non-exercise activity thermogenesis. That's a fancy way of saying "the energy you burn day-to-day from fidgeting, walking, sitting up straight" and so on. That makes a big difference, this is why fidgety guys are runty, and laid-back guys heavier. This tends to decline as we get older. We slow down in those everyday things. If we keep up the same food intake, we put on weight.

Aside from that, recovery tends to be slower as we get older. So while the big-eating 19 year old can easily jump into 5 day a week 2 hour sessions, the 45 year old should start lower at maybe 2-3 sessions of 30-45 minutes. However, if their nutrition and rest are right, they may be able to build up to the same workload as the young bloke. Remember from other threads, nutrition and rest are most of recovery.

Older people tend to start from a lower strength and fitness than younger people. This isn't age as such, it's just they've had longer to be sedentary. Take someone who's active till 20, someone else who's active till 30, now give them ten years off - they'll be starting from a similar place. The typical 45 year old has been sedentary for more than two decades. That's a lot of time for muscle and bone to atrophy.

Age doesn't change a lot what we're capable of in the end, it just changes where we're starting from and how quickly we can get there.

The old-time strongmen used to offer routines where people would do 6-10 exercises, and start with just one set of each - adding one set a month until 3. You could do something similar. For example,

Weeks 1-4, 2 workouts, 3 exercises @ 2 sets each (1 warmup + 1 work)
Weeks 5-8, 3 workouts, 3 ex @ 2 sets
Weeks 9-12, 4 workouts, 3 ex @ 2 sets
Weeks 13-16, 4 workouts, 3 ex @ 3 sets
and so on.

Whatever combination of sessions, sets and reps you like, gradually increase the workload over time, adjusting your diet and rest to accommodate. You'll find your personal level.

Last edited:
The typical 45 year old has been sedentary for more than two decades. That's a lot of time for muscle and bone to atrophy.

Age doesn't change a lot what we're capable of in the end, it just changes where we're starting from and how quickly we can get there.

Good points there Kyle. I fit the typical mould you speak of to a tee. I was sick of looking like all the other fat-assed dads at the local pool, and didn't want to be mediocre looking.

I agree with the point about future capability. I've had some pretty decent gains in 7 months (to me anyway) and I reckon in 12 months or so I'll probably be in the best shape physique-wise that I've ever been in my life.

So I don't see age as a barrier at all, it's just extra time as you say. I don't want to make any silly mistakes along the way which would slow the progress, hence why I started the thread.

lol....I'm 48, weighed 90kg when I got married in 1990, weigh 86kg now.

I eat anything and everything. The other day my lunch came in at 2300 calories. I eat a minimum of 7 times a day, 5 times before work (6.00pm) and twice more before bed.

If I dont I'll weigh 75kg. The heaviest I got trained was in 2007 just before I started PTC, I lose weight when I stop lifting. I have been training hard again for the last 2 weeks.

Age is no barrier. I benched 150kg @ 90kg age 45, with a severed pec.

Stop looking for reasons you cant get strong and lift something heavy big fella.

I have to admit, I get sick of guys with ailments looking for ways to do something different.

Eat lots of good food, train correctly, rest enough. I get sick of repeating that, there is no secret.

I wasnt referring to you with regards to ailments, but dont let age be a disability, it isnt.

The only difference MAY be, you need an extra day off to recover, thats it.

I eat anything and everything. The other day my lunch came in at 2300 calories. I eat a minimum of 7 times a day, 5 times before work (6.00pm) and twice more before bed.

Geez mate, a minimum of 7 times? Might as well move the power rack into the kitchen and tell your wife to work around it lol.

I've got no problem with desire for training hard, I'm just trying to be as best informed as possible for my own needs. From the sounds of your eating and training, doesn't seem like you do too much different to a 25yo.

Food, training, both the same in that I wouldn't leap straight into what a perfectly healthy 20 year old can do. But you can build up to it. Maybe it won't be the same amount, maybe more, I dunno. You have to try it and see.

Just think of tablesalt here, young bloke, but only 60kg and is awaiting a lung transplant. He squats every day, up to 100kg or so last I looked. Once after a warmup he threw up, he laughed, tried again the next day.

Surely none of us are going to say we're worse off and have less recovery capacity and strength potential than a young bloke awaiting a lung transplant.

Start with deadlift, squat and overhead press 1kg for 1 set of 1 rep if you like, so long as you do more in every session than you did before, you'll get to the same place in the end. Build it up. You'll find your comfortable level of workload - then add to it a little bit, you shouldn't get comfortable :D

Start slow, build up.

I suppose the best example I have at PTC is Old James, he is 61.

He started a little over 12 months ago at age 60, having never trained before.

He lifts alongside guys that are 18, same workouts, same amount of sessions.

His best lifts are 150kg squat, 95kg bench and 192.5kg deadlift.

He has been training solid for 15 months with no issues. In fact he came in with issues, a chronic back complaint.

He often whinges about how old he is, I ignore him, so he just keeps lifting.

Most of you know he now has National Powerlifting Records. In August he will have World Records.

I suppose the best example I have at PTC is Old James, he is 61.

He started a little over 12 months ago at age 60, having never trained before.

He lifts alongside guys that are 18, same workouts, same amount of sessions.

His best lifts are 150kg squat, 95kg bench and 192.5kg deadlift.

He has been training solid for 15 months with no issues. In fact he came in with issues, a chronic back complaint.

He often whinges about how old he is, I ignore him, so he just keeps lifting.

Most of you know he now has National Powerlifting Records. In August he will have World Records.

Well as some know I am 49 and have a bench press with leg curls, barbell and dumbells. I am wanting a basic routine using this equipment.
I have about 100 kgs weight.
I want to build up my arms, chest and stomach. Legs too.
Can someone give me a set routine for 4 days a week? About 30 mins please.

I am 6'1" and weigh about 90 kgs.

:confused:

Clean to front squat 5 x 5
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 2 x 15
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent rows 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

I have to admit as i am getting older, I am definetley noticing i can injure myself more easily, and I dont recover aswell.. I remember I used to go to gym for atleast 2 hours, and atleast 5 days a week.. not a hope doing that right now...

All I can think of is back then I was super fit, running, bike, martial arts etc, I slept better and ate everything that was within reach..

I have to admit as i am getting older, I am definetley noticing i can injure myself more easily, and I dont recover aswell.
We don't normally become injured more easily as we grow older, but we definitely notice it more. When you're 20 you're a bit oblivious :D

All I can think of is back then I was super fit, running, bike, martial arts etc, I slept better and ate everything that was within reach..
That would make a difference, yes. One of my clients notices that his workouts are harder if he's not kept up his day-to-day activity of walking. General fitness makes a difference! And of course food and sleep...

I struggle with that damn exercise. I keep reading it's great for the hammies, but almost every time I've done it, it ends up being a lower back workout. Only occasionally have I been able to hit the hamstrings properly.

Its not a straight leg at all, its a stiff leg.

It was originally called Romanian Deadlifts, but BB ruin everything lol

Keep your knees unlocked and push your bum back, dont simply bend at the waist

I have lovefor SLDL :).
Im finding my hands give out well before anything else, so I keep them them to a 5.