• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

14 year old Maryana Naumova goes for a new PB 300 lb bench press at the 2014 Arnold X

There have been rules changes to try to address this and other bench press issues, the main ones being heels on the floor and head on the bench (rules the IPF introduced several years ago but others haven't followed). But even with this, it is possible for super flexible people to still maintain a huge arch. Banning heeled shoes in bench press would also help (assuming you have to keep your heels on the floor).

Some factions in the IPF (mainly from USAPL) tried to introduce a rule that would require that the lower leg could not be more than 90 degrees to the ground. This resolution did not pass. It's not a bad idea as it would still allow some degree of arching but not a ridiculous amount. It is directly addresses the risk of injury, as the lumbar hyperextension can only happen if you are able to tuck your feet under the hips. The problem is in the judging.

The other idea was to impose a minimum stroke length. This also failed to pass the IPF congress. Frankly, I can see why. It's a stupid rule. If you've got ridiculous short arms, good luck to you, and you'll also have a distinct disadvantage in the deadlift that tends to balance things out.

Beyond this, it is difficult to think of a rule that can actually address arched benching. You could have a rule that specified that the entire back is in contact with the bench the entire lift. A similar rule exists for the glutes - they must stay on the bench. But this would actually make bench pressing more dangerous for the majority of lifters, ie those that don't have a ridiculous arch. Some degree of arching definitely makes the bench press a safer exercise. From an aesthetic point of view, the problem isn't arching itself, it is the degree of arching that seems to cause people concern. The first problem you then face is where do you draw the line between an acceptable and unacceptable degree of arching? Secondly, how do you express a rule that actually allows referee to enforce this limit?

*Yeah, as I stated the distance the bar travels is moot, as some have ideal leverages.
*If the spine maintains the natural curvature then the risk of injury is minimized.

It's interesting to see a lot of pec tares and not tricep tares, and I question why...the pecs main function is to bring the arm across the torso, could the angle of the torso (extreme arch) on the bench be the factor here?

I've always believed that a muscle is strongest when fully contracted and weakest at full extension.

Not true. Force curve is strongest somewhere in the middle for each individual muscle and it gets weaker towards either end.

Once you add in multi-joint muscles working synergistically it gets a lot more complex.

Not true. Force curve is strongest somewhere in the middle for each individual muscle and it gets weaker towards either end.

Once you add in multi-joint muscles working synergistically it gets a lot more complex.

the "force curve" is dictated by the force of gravity (sticking point) or the machine, pin loaded or leverage machine.

the "force curve" is dictated by the force of gravity (sticking point) or the machine, pin loaded or leverage machine.

Wrong usage. I meant the muscle physiology term which shows the actual force output of a stimulated muscle over various levels of contraction. It's theorised to be due to the shape of actin and myosin fibrils.

Wrong usage. I meant the muscle physiology term which shows the actual force output of a stimulated muscle over various levels of contraction. It's theorised to be due to the shape of actin and myosin fibrils.

OK
you go by theory, which is what it is, I'll go by 30 years experience and self evidant truth.

OK
you go by theory, which is what it is, I'll go by 30 years experience and self evidant truth.

Mate, I'm not "going by theory". It has been experimentally proven that each individual muscle has a length at which it produces the most force, generally within the middle of the range of physiological movement for that muscle.

Really can't be fucked for an issue of muscle physiology that basic. Wikipedia will probably even have it on it.

Really can't be fucked for an issue of muscle physiology that basic. Wikipedia will probably even have it on it.

Super.

testing the strength of a muscle will depend on an individual's strength curve which varies from one person to another
a person can change their strength curve and usually muscle strength is highest, like you said in the mid range.

but, if you modify and exercise, so that the resistance is constant, you will find the the foot pounds of resistance will need to increase at contraction.

Super.

testing the strength of a muscle will depend on an individual's strength curve which varies from one person to another
a person can change their strength curve and usually muscle strength is highest, like you said in the mid range.

but, if you modify and exercise, so that the resistance is constant, you will find the the foot pounds of resistance will need to increase at contraction.

You still aren't understanding. I'm talking about the strength of a single muscle, when removed from the body and stimulated electrically.