• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

14 year old Maryana Naumova goes for a new PB 300 lb bench press at the 2014 Arnold X

No I'm still hung up on the ROM being stupid
What about Spoto's ROM? Is that stupid?
How about Ryan Kennelly?

This gets funnier every time, lets ban people with long legs from the high jump, ban people with too many short twitch fibers from sprinting............etc.

I don't think we should ever stop people commenting on style of sport.

forget funny, that would be disturbing.

He'll I'm just jealous of that smaller rom
Would kill not to have to shift weight for 2km thanks to my never ending arms!
Good for her!! Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, told you Ben.

Best posts of the thread are awarded to Oni, I lol'd.

For the record, I'm not impressed by her benching.

Nope. Been going for years. There have also been a few attempts to introduce a minimum ROM rule but they have passed. Its nigh on impossible to ref.

To be clear I have no isuue with one trying, or attempting to reduce the distance the bar needs to travel, I understand the concept of the event.

My concerns are coming from a "duty of care" (and being a father) that placeing the spine in that position, for one rep under extreme load is dangerous as hell.
One can justify that it is a sport and in sport there are inherant dangers, but I just feel I need to make the point.

If one chooses to bench this way one needs to make sure they are strong and flexible, in that the muscles around that vulnerable area are doing their job.

Some can get away with this, some cannot, the ones that can will eventually at some point in time injure themselves serverly.

I only say all this because it is a forum that isn't exclusive to just competing power lifters.

14 year old Maryana Naumova goes for a new PB 300 lb bench press at the 2014 ...

To be clear I have no isuue with one trying, or attempting to reduce the distance the bar needs to travel, I understand the concept of the event.

My concerns are coming from a "duty of care" (and being a father) that placeing the spine in that position, for one rep under extreme load is dangerous as hell.
One can justify that it is a sport and in sport there are inherant dangers, but I just feel I need to make the point.

If one chooses to bench this way one needs to make sure they are strong and flexible, in that the muscles around that vulnerable area are doing their job.

Some can get away with this, some cannot, the ones that can will eventually at some point in time injure themselves serverly.

I only say all this because it is a forum that isn't exclusive to just competing power lifters.

The risk of injury does and doesn't come into it. Most sports have rules to make them reasonably safe but there is always a risk. Its competitive sport. Where do you draw the line? I'm not sure.

My argument is that every other sport changes rules to make the sport better. In the time I have played footy they changed rules to try and reduce flooding, some successful and some not. There have also been ruck and tackling rules changed to try and give the sport wider appeal, mostly to make the game more acceptable to mums allowing their sons to play.

Powerlifting is supposedly different. You can't make a comment about powerlifting without a powerlifter saying you don't lift so no one cares. Even though that doesn't matter in other main sports or the other favorite is "snore", great contribution there buddy.

If people like couple inch rom benches good for them as well. I don't and it's my opinion.

The risk of injury does and doesn't come into it. Most sports have rules to make them reasonably safe but there is always a risk. Its competitive sport. Where do you draw the line? I'm not sure.

My argument is that every other sport changes rules to make the sport better. In the time I have played footy they changed rules to try and reduce flooding, some successful and some not. There have also been ruck and tackling rules changed to try and give the sport wider appeal, mostly to make the game more acceptable to mums allowing their sons to play.

Powerlifting is supposedly different. You can't make a comment about powerlifting without a powerlifter saying you don't lift so no one cares. Even though that doesn't matter in other main sports or the other favorite is "snore", great contribution there buddy.

If people like couple inch rom benches good for them as well. I don't and it's my opinion.

I understand what you write and agree with you. And I have always understood your thoughts.

in some cases trying to understand some people is like trying to decribe the smell of colour number nine

There have been rules changes to try to address this and other bench press issues, the main ones being heels on the floor and head on the bench (rules the IPF introduced several years ago but others haven't followed). But even with this, it is possible for super flexible people to still maintain a huge arch. Banning heeled shoes in bench press would also help (assuming you have to keep your heels on the floor).

Some factions in the IPF (mainly from USAPL) tried to introduce a rule that would require that the lower leg could not be more than 90 degrees to the ground. This resolution did not pass. It's not a bad idea as it would still allow some degree of arching but not a ridiculous amount. It is directly addresses the risk of injury, as the lumbar hyperextension can only happen if you are able to tuck your feet under the hips. The problem is in the judging.

The other idea was to impose a minimum stroke length. This also failed to pass the IPF congress. Frankly, I can see why. It's a stupid rule. If you've got ridiculous short arms, good luck to you, and you'll also have a distinct disadvantage in the deadlift that tends to balance things out.

Beyond this, it is difficult to think of a rule that can actually address arched benching. You could have a rule that specified that the entire back is in contact with the bench the entire lift. A similar rule exists for the glutes - they must stay on the bench. But this would actually make bench pressing more dangerous for the majority of lifters, ie those that don't have a ridiculous arch. Some degree of arching definitely makes the bench press a safer exercise. From an aesthetic point of view, the problem isn't arching itself, it is the degree of arching that seems to cause people concern. The first problem you then face is where do you draw the line between an acceptable and unacceptable degree of arching? Secondly, how do you express a rule that actually allows referee to enforce this limit?

Knee wraps/sleeves
Suits/shirts
Monolifts
Slings
Face savers

These have all been put in place originally for lifter safety.