• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

10-15kg possible by january?

The whole 1RM percentage thing comes from the science side of it - they have to have numbers so they can do proper studies, and fair enough too.

But you get some newbie, in their first session they struggle to move 20kg for 5 reps, stumbling all over the place, 4 weeks later they move 60kg for 10 reps with ease. What is their 1RM? The thing is that their true muscular potential has not been used yet, they don't know how to do the movements.

It's like the way I have bigger muscles than Ricky Ponting, but he will throw the cricket ball much faster than me. Why? Because he has the correct technique, I'll just chuck it. He knows how to exert his strength for the biggest circket-ball-throwing effect.

Lifting iron may not seem to be as technical as that but really it is, you have to learn how to exert your strength. That's what trainers mean when they talk about "neural adaptation".

Given that, 1RM looks much rougher, hard to assess except for well-trained people. As Markos says, it's better just to go on effort.

For example, last night a woman asked for me for advice on leg press, she had a new workout programme from the trainers but hadn't been shown every exercise. She had her feet together and was doing a short range of motion. So I had her put her feet apart, and bring the seat up so she could have a much larger range of motion, instead of 90 degrees to almost lockout it was knees to within six inches of the chest and then to almost lockout.

She went from being able to have a smiling conversation while pressing to... eyes wide open, sweating, feeling the stress in glutes and hamstrings, and having to grunt to help move it.

Her way she was moving 120kg or so, my way she was moving 80kg. What was her 1RM on the leg press machine? We don't know, and it doesn't matter - all that matters was that she was busting her foofer, as Markos would say. :)

When it comes to foot spacing on lifts Kyle, I have a system I call dating.

All the girls at PTC know it, it goes first date, second date and third date.

It tells you a lot about your clients lol

I had one girl, I wont name Sophie, put her ankles behind her ears on second date foot positioning

HAHA, what would you suggest is the best foot position when squatting? My feet are just past shoulder width with my feet facing slightly outwards. This feels the most comfortable for me.

What would third date be used for? HAHA, that made me laugh typing that.

I am talking about feet positions here!

hmm if you recomend me coming in i might have to do so,,, ill pm you for details if thats ok??

HAHA, what would you suggest is the best foot position when squatting? My feet are just past shoulder width with my feet facing slightly outwards. This feels the most comfortable for me.

Josh, when it comes to foot positioning (rather then spacing), you do what feels most natural to you. However there is something very important to keep in mind here. You can use it as a formula if you like:

Knees always follow toes. So if your toes are pointing slightly out, then your knees and therefore your whole leg would be following suite. I'm sure you've seen lifters having their toes out and knees pointing forward; that’s an invitation to knee ligament problems.

I personally can not squat with feet pointing forward whilst at the same time having a narrow base, very uncomfortable for me. Yet I've seen former Mr. Olympia squat like that and so do many bodybuilders.

Pointing your toes out and having a wider stance rather then narrow, places the emphasis on the adductor muscles (inner thighs).

Feet positioning does play a part in leg muscle isolations. Take the leg press for an example here:

1. Feet close together and high on the foot plate: Gluteal and hamstring.
2. Feet close and low on the foot plate: Quadriceps emphasis.
3. Feet apart toes out: Emphasis on the adductors (inner thighs)

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi.

I have played around with my positioning a bit. I used to squat with my legs too close together and did not angle my feet out at all, they were straight. This used to limit my range of movement (I wasn't going ATG) and put a bit of strain on my knees.. Since changing to a wider stance with my toes pointed outward I can squat MUCH lower with ease and my knees feel great. I have not had any pain at all in my knees since.

I guess squatting even wider could allow a heavier weight to be used?

am i the weird 1?
i cant squat wide...
but i can squat ATG when my feet are just shoulder apart...

Everyone's body is arranged a little bit differently, lucku. The way our joints fit together, the muscles and tendons and ligaments attach, how they cross each-other and interact, the length of our limbs, all these things are as unique as our faces.

Training and diet methods are developed to match what works for most people if they stick to it. So what you do is begin by following those general guidelines, then adjust a little bit for your own individuality.

What's comfortable for you is the best guide to what's safe. If it hurts to do an exercise - I mean pain, not simple discomfort - then don't do it, do something else.
lucku said:
i can squat ATG when my feet are just shoulder apart...
Probably you have greater natural flexibility than many of us. In general, a person more flexible in hamstrings and glute will be able to have a narrower stance.

Didn't you say you were of Asian heritage? Many Asians when growing up sit on the floor or on mats a lot more than kids of European heritage. If you sit on the floor with your legs out or under you, they get a slight stretch for hours - every day. Whereas if you sit on a chair all day, they tighten up. A little bit every day over years adds up. So we round-eyes tend to have less glute/ham flexibility, and have to squat third date ;)

i only squat with a wide stance because of my problem knee, my physio recommended this and so far its working pretty well, i cant get as low as i would like to but im squatting and thats the main thing

Thanks Fadi.
I guess squatting even wider could allow a heavier weight to be used?

No Josh it won't and the opposite may occur. Because by doing so, you would have veered away from that "sweet" spot. The spot that suites you the most. The same goes for the spacing of the hands whilst performing bench press, military press etc. There's a spot where everything just "fits" rightly.

Fadi.

The whole 1RM percentage thing comes from the science side of it - they have to have numbers so they can do proper studies, and fair enough too.

Given that, 1RM looks much rougher, hard to assess except for well-trained people. As Markos says, it's better just to go on effort. :)

I find that basing a program on one's 1RM and working with percentages is the way to go Kyle. I know that you agree with Markos's stand on using effort as a base for working out a program.

Before I jump to any conclusion here, could you please tell me what exactly do you (or Markos) mean by "effort"? Thank you.

Fadi.

I may not have bucket loads of experience or qualifications. What I know tho, is that a person's % of their 1RM is possibly the most consistent accurate form of working out.

Sure, sometimes I feel stronger when working at 90% & can do a rep or two more. Sometimes I feel piss weak & can't seem to hit 85% for reps as my program suggests. That's life.

The secret program that Fadi gave me is working like a charm

Have a look back at what I said. I said that 1RM is a poor basis for beginners, because we don't know their 1RM. They're still learning the movement. Their muscles have a certain strength, but they don't yet know how to fully exert that strength. That's why a beginner may push 40kg today with ease, and have trouble with 30kg tomorrow, or leap up to 50kg, why a slight change in technique will greatly reduce or increase the weight they can move, making it impossible to judge their true 1RM.

As well, it's been shown that in the first three months, a very wide variety of workouts will get the person strength and size gains - fullbody, split, periodised and nonperiodised - almost everything works. So there's no need to calculate things precisely, just get in there and lift and make sure each muscle has been worked.

So for beginners, it's best to simply go on effort. This is very subjective, the person should feel they've really worked themselves today. And I think that just as the person is learning how to lift, they're also at the beginner stage learning how to listen to their body. A beginner may push on after vomiting, or they may give up as soon as there's a twinge, and both of those are bad. But part of getting past being a "beginner" is learning to listen to their body, for example when you do a lift and after the first rep are pretty sure of how many reps you'll be able to manage.

What is a "beginner"? If someone is well-motivated and knows what they're doing, or is trained by someone competent, this will be 3-6 months, even sometimes up to 9 months. However, some people are not well-motivated or knowledgeable and have no-one competent training them, so the "beginner" stage can last for years.

Once someone is past that stage and has achieved some consistency in their lifts and competence in their training, then 1RMs can definitely help, I think - but as always, I don't pretend to know a lot about people at intermediate and higher stage.

For beginners, we can just go on effort. Get in, learn the lifts, lift as heavy as you can, learn to listen to your body, go home, eat and rest.

I just read that Shorty story for the first time and loved it.Sounds a lot like a little dude at my gym.Unlike Shorty though this guy was skinny.
He came the first time in an old wife beater,el cheapo sneakers and shorts.No belts,gloves or anything else except his specs.All the wannabes and tossers loooked down at him.
He did (and still does) all the boring stuff - squats,bench etc. and now he is a little ball of muslce.Not much bigger than when he started but now he is a little ball of muscle and kg for kg he lifts more than all the tossers who laughed at him.
He still wears the wife beater and cheap sneakers but to me that is what it is all about - 20 dollar sneakers won`t make you lift as much as 300 dollar weightlifting shoes.

I am gaining like mad atm, around 2 and a half months and I up 10kg, minus some water of course.

Zarkov, Shorty is back at my place in 2 weeks, I cant wait to see how much he has improved.

He is a good chance to win the whole comp. At 68kg lol He destroys most of the big guys.