• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

10-15kg possible by january?

ok ill start this:

Squats - 1x20, 1x15
Military Press - 3x10
Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 3x15
Bent Rows - 3x10
Bench Press - 3x10
Dips - 3x10

x3 a week...

Sounds good mate. Do that and EAT and I am sure you will see progress in no time.

I know NPR gave you that program, so this is a question to him. Why Stiff Leg Deads?

ok so i done this program today whole body is aching

Wieght i done:

Squats: 20/25kg
Military Press: 10kg
Stiff Leg Press: 30kg
Bent Rows: 17.5kg
Bench Press: 20kg of wieghts
Dips: Body Wieght

It was also explained to me by one of the guys at the gym Compound Program helps with building wieght where as what i was doing is more of a help to cut up

You're on the right track mate. Go hard and those weights will shoot up very quickly as will your bodyweight.

Good on you for listening to people that know what they are talking about.

You're on the right track mate. Go hard and those weights will shoot up very quickly as will your bodyweight.

Good on you for listening to people that know what they are talking about.

Josh is right. It's all about consistency from here on...

Fadi.

ok so i done this program today whole body is aching

Wieght i done:

Squats: 20/25kg
Military Press: 10kg
Stiff Leg Press: 30kg
Bent Rows: 17.5kg
Bench Press: 20kg of wieghts
Dips: Body Wieght

It was also explained to me by one of the guys at the gym Compound Program helps with building wieght where as what i was doing is more of a help to cut up

Nice work. But the squats should be done on the same weight for both sets. Also there should be no pressing with the stiff leg deadlifts. If you got through the prescribed sets add 2.5kg next session.

Be careful who you listen to at the gym. Big compounds will get you strong and a balanced physique. Cutting up is all in the diet.

Not big enough, the routine Nick gave you is one I came up with around 2 years ago and it has helped hundreds of lifters. Its called the Skinny bastard routine, and its the one Shorty used, as highlighted in a recent newsletter.

I'm not sure youre doing it correctly, if you want to book a session at PTC I can go through it correctly with you.

Here is the newsletter if you dont want to visit the website.

2.jpg
PERFORMANCE TRAINING CENTRE NEWSLETTER
ISSUE # 64
DESIRE & COMMITMENT....DO YOU HAVE IT?

In a recent newsletter I discussed wishful thinking. I got a great response from that one. Here is the follow up to that issue, desire and commitment. This newsletter will tell a little story, you can make up your own mind if it’s true or fiction. I hope it will at least be entertaining.

Let’s go back to February 2007. A young man decides he’s had enough of his unhealthy lifestyle and decides to take up weight training. This probably happens thousands of times every day all around the world. Most fail, some succeed, why? Desire and commitment. So is our character any different to the ones that fail? At this point, we don’t know.

He is 25 years old, he has man boobs and is very soft all over. He luckily lands himself a very basic program that is better than 99% of programs you can find in magazines. A program without effort is just a piece of paper though.

During his first session, he benches 40kg, squats 40kg and uses 25kg for stiff leg deadlifts. Not an auspicious start, but a start nonetheless. Six or seven sessions later, he has made no progress. He gets some advice from the guy who gave him the program, more out of pity for the guy who displays zero potential or basic understanding of what he is doing.

A month later, he is using 60kg for squats, 50kg for bench and 60kg for SLDL. Progress. That’s normal in novices first month of lifting. Your desire and commitment won’t be tested for quite some time, still, it looks promising. He takes on advice from those that know better, never argues. That is a very important quality.

For the next four months, this guy toils away in the gym, not meandering far from the original program. He sees others in the gym using fancy machines, doing intricate and exciting movements, while he does boring presses, squats and pulls, every session. Others are splitting the body and training selected body parts for a whole session, others combine 2 body parts, training 4, 5 even 6 times a week. They isolate body parts, they squeeze the muscle at the top, flex in front of the mirror, but our lifter keeps plodding. His lifts have improved too, as he now bench presses 80kg, squats 115kg and deadlifts 140kg. Not earth shattering, but he weighs less than 70kg.

Progress is constant. This is the point where the majority of lifters switch programs to a much more advanced one, used by all the big time bodybuilders, as printed in the glossy magazines. This is also the point where most lifters start to experience a plateau, soon after, they stop lifting.

Our lifter can hear the call to come over to the dark side with promise of glistening muscle. Our lifter is a very basic kind of guy. His basic program suits him, anyway, those guys don’t look that good and aren’t much stronger than him, even though he has only been lifting a fraction of the time. Onwards he marches, our stubborn little basic lifter.

Six months have now passed, and he still hasn’t wavered. He can now bench press 90kg, squats 130kg and deadlifts 150kg. He still weighs only 65kg, but his body is changing, getting harder. He is also strong now, at least as strong as the posers in front of the mirror. He watches them use the power rack for curls. He doesn’t understand this, but he never says anything. Others are now starting to notice his lifts. He is a small man, but he has desire and commitment.

Eight months after our hero begins, he enters a tiny little comp, mainly a gathering of likeminded lifters. He benches 100kg, squats 140kg and deadlifts 200kg. He still weighs 65kg. He did wear a belt on these lifts which he normally doesn’t wear, but that shouldn’t detract from his amazing progress. Most guys never achieve this level, but this guy does with the most basic of full body programs, the kind of stuff that was done by everyone in the 1940’s through till the 1950’s and 1960’s. The advanced guys laugh at programs like his. Oh, they can’t squat and deadlift as much as he does, due to knee and so called back injuries. Faggots. They don’t possess a poofteenth of this guy’s desire and commitment.

Let’s move ahead to the one year stage. It’s now 12 months since he started his antique basic program, full body, three times a week program. He is competing again, although this time, he is wearing his assistance gear which he purchased in order to compete at State and National level powerlifting competitions. This gear gives him extra kilograms in his lifts, so the figures are a little blurred. Regardless, he squats 180kg, benches 110kg and deadlifts 210kg.

He returns to the same original comp one year later, this time lifting raw, no assistance gear whatsoever. He squats 165kg, benches 112.5kg and deadlifts 200kg.

This guy still weighs 68kg, his lifts, after two years, are out of reach of most commercial gym guys weighing 100kg. There are very few people who can make those lifts training in gyms around the world, at any bodyweight, let alone under 70kg.

This guy just keeps on lifting. From such a dreadful beginning just two years ago, to an elite lifter, all because he had desire and commitment. He had no fancy program, no drugs, no secret supplements, no advanced training equipment. All he had was the ability to work out who gave good advice and who didn’t, and the ability to follow instructions. He lifted with purpose. Even though his program was boring, squat, press, pull, he knew it was working, because very few lifters could do what he could, even those much bigger and heavier, with 5 times the experience he had in the gym.

So at this point, you can see how progress now comes in smaller bites. Its real tough now to keep pushing, looking for those minute increases, hoping when you total them altogether they add up to a big bunch of numbers. With big weights come injuries. Suck it up princess, everyone gets injured eventually if they get strong enough. He’s forcing his body to change, with rugged workouts that have seen off plenty of training partners.

It’s now 26 months since he stepped into the gym and began with his 40kg squats and 25kg stiff leg deadlifts. Let’s check in to see how he’s going. He now squats 170kg, benches 115kg and deadlifts 205kg. You can now see how progress slows quite a lot when you get to this level. No more 10kg jumps in your PB’s, a simple 2.5kg increase is a very emotional time now. This is where your desire and commitment really gets tested. Hour’s and hour’s under a squat bar to move your squat from 165kg to 170kg in just a few months. Hardly seems worthwhile now does it?

Here’s a little known fact amongst regular gym goers. Nothing worthwhile is easily achieved. The only way this guy could get his lifts to such an enormous level was by breaking his back in the gym for 26 months. Many have followed this guy’s progress, but none have been able to match it.

You can’t buy desire and commitment in a health food shop. If this guy took drugs he could’ve achieved what he has sooner, but he competes in a drug free federation so he gets tested, it’s simply not an option. Plenty won’t believe that a guy lifting for 2 years from scratch was able to deadlift triple bodyweight raw and drug free in such a short period of time. Squat 100kg over his bodyweight after 12 months of lifting, or nearly bench press double bodyweight, shit, most are happy when they can simply bench bodyweight.

If you have someone with half a clue giving you advice early on, if you keep those ideals and continue to train hard over a long period of time, you too can be that little guy squatting 165kg weighing a mere 68kg, pictured at the top of this newsletter. Ray is an inspiration to all of us that know him. He has respect from every single person he lifts with or against. He is an incredibly humble young man. I am glad I can call him a friend, even though he lives 1000km away. I first met Ray in September 2007 when he flew down to compete. He has flown down many times since. He has never disappointed anyone with his performances.

I go over his training journal from time to time, and scratch my head while trying to comprehend his progress. He has shown everyone what can be achieved with desire and commitment.

Here is a little pictorial tribute to the little man

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

Shorty pulling 210kg

6.jpg
Shorty squatting 185kg

7.jpg
Jumping for the chin bar

8.jpg
Throwing the weight for distance
9.jpg
Strongman medley, his favourite event.....

10.jpg
..........Not

11.jpg
Deep...
12.jpg

Determined little **** isn’t he. Shorty will always be known as the Little man that could. He’s flying back down for Bash at the Beach 3, it just wouldn’t be the same without him at a PTC competition. Before that though, he is competing in the National Powerlifting Championships. His current best lifts in official competition at 67kg bodyweight are........ Squat 192.5kg, Bench press 130kg and he has deadlifted 215kg.

Imagine when he actually accrues 3 years of lifting under his belt, he may just be strong enough to join the boys curling in the power rack.

Shorties story should be inspirational to everyone that ever dreamt of being strong. Dreaming is the first step, he then took the next step of joining a gym. Once there he didn’t **** around doing leg extensions and tricep press downs. He attacked the exercises most avoid with vigour. His focus was strong, he wasn’t distracted, he set goals, once achieved he set new goals, and he’s still setting goals.

A lifter with 2 ½ years experience is an inspiration to a guy with 30 years lifting experience, me. You could do a lot worse than Shorty as you’re role model in the gym. He has worked 2 jobs for quite a long time while making this progress. I have given the same program I gave Ray to plenty of lifters. They all switch over to something else far too soon, none have replicated his efforts.

Determination, desire and commitment. Well done Ray.

You guys have obviously noticed how often these newsletters are coming out now. I don’t plan them, I get inspired and I write. This is the fourth one I have completed this week, its Friday night (Saturday morning 1.00am). I’m not sure when I will put it on the website. The feedback I get from readers is that they want one every day. Not sure I can do that, but when inspiration strikes, I’ll sit down and write.
I thought it would be a great change to discuss lifting for a change, rather than all the talk about diet and roller hockey. Sure, roller hockey is funny, played by boys who couldn’t make the local netball team, but how many laughs can you get out of one sport?

Let’s go for one more.

13.jpg
This

14.jpg
Plus this
=

15.jpg
None of this

Thanks for reading, and if I offended anyone, don’t sweat it, I’m simply very immature

Markos

..back to top ^ | www.ptcfrankston.com

Correct. Program stolen directly from Markos. :)

Its a great program for anyone to begin serious training with. And its not just for novices, I used it to get weight and strength back quick after my 10 week layoff over summer.

Thanks for the read up, that really is quite insperational...

Id like the idea of meeting up with you so i could be properly shown how to do this program however its quite far from where i live.

Is there a reason you think im doing the program wrong, i would agree that my technique would not be 100% correct...?

And just to add as i alreaddy said i do actually have a knee problem and have only been walking for 4-6 weeks now. After speaking with my phisio his more then happy for me to use this program as long as it doesnt irrate my knee, however that being said my squats are no where near as low as they should be as my knee cannot bend that far at this stage

My main goal is not just to lift heavy but also to gain wieght, i guess with that program and if i change my eating i should be able to gain wieght?

also just had a quick look at the PTC site, had a great read, thanks for the experienced advice,,, i guess besides your program advise id really need a nutrition plan aiming to gain wieght???

PowerBuilder. At the moment I don't think 1RM or anything like that have been worked out yet. He is simply getting into the program and seeing where he is at.

Not for one session it isnt. I had a guy come from Taylors Lakes 2 weeks ago.

He only needs to come for one session to ensure he isnt wasting his time.

Powerbuilder, I work more off effort than %. To many get caught up in the unimportant stuff. Tonight at PTC was easily one of the best sessions of lifting I have ever witnessed. It was inspirational, guys lifting for over 3 hours.