• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on Stronglifts

Post # 19.....still alive

Re: Widowmakers/ 20 rep squats?

by PTC on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 pm
Filthy, that program is awesome, as is everything John writes

Jake, your kidding yourself

Munnings and the others, thank you

Jim, I dont know of anyone in existence who can squat double what they do 20 reps with, are you just plucking numbers.

Unfortunately its frowned upon if I use REAL LIFE LIFTERS as examples, so I'll use theory which is far more accepted here and not viewed as boasting.

A 70kg lifter doing 120kg x 20 is not going to squat 240kg, but he will squat 170kg, which is well over double bodyweight and still a strong raw squat, this character is fictional.

Another fictional character who may be able to squat 155kg x 20 may also only be able to squat 210kg @ 109, again, this is another fictional character

I reckon if fictional character # 3 can squat 135kg x 20 @ 85kg, he may also be able to squat 170kg, another fictional double bodyweight squat.

These fictional characters probably dont wear belts either.

Imagine a fictional character weighing 70kg squatting 2.4 x bodyweight without even a belt, now that would be an impressive fictional character. I'd guess that this fictional character still does 20 rep squats, despite Jake thinking this is only for beginners.

I hope you guys enjoyed this fairy tale.

THE CHARACTERS DEPICTED IN THIS TALE ARE FICTIONAL, ANY RESEMBLANCES TO REAL LIFE CHARACTERS IS DELIBERATE

I think what happens on Stronglifts should stay there.
I couldn't really give a Tosca who's squattting or deadlifting what over there.

Another fictional character who may be able to squat 155kg x 20 may also only be able to squat 210kg @ 109, again, this is another fictional character

THE CHARACTERS DEPICTED IN THIS TALE ARE FICTIONAL, ANY RESEMBLANCES TO REAL LIFE CHARACTERS IS DELIBERATE

I caught on here lol. Go Nick.

Only weakly, and only when the elbows are fully extended. Good luck doing a bench press with your elbows fully extended all the way up and all the way down, maybe you could put a slidey tube on the bar.

Or you could just do dumbell flies. But I've never heard of someone getting big arms from doing dumbell flies, perhaps haz can enlighten us. Or even better, Mehdi.

Honestly, how do people come up with this nonsense?

yesterday i did 5 sets of heavy benches and today the top/shorthead of my bicep is sore, it looks like i worked my biceps on bench.

Or more likely some other structure in the area. Like you strained the anterior deltoid's tendon or the pec major tendon or something.

Edumucate yourself, mate. ExRx.net is there for a reason.

Last edited:
i dont know, it feels alot like my bicep.
it was my edumucator that told me the bicep was used in the bench.

Or more likely some other structure in the area. Like you strained the anterior deltoid's tendon or the pec major tendon or something.

Edumucate yourself, mate. ExRx.net is there for a reason.

The bicep crosses the shoulder blabberfingers.
It's quite common.

Not into the forum drama - I leave that to the reality TV fans - and I have never done the Stronglifts 5x5 routine, but that website has good info and when I started training last year, it taught me that compound exercises are the way to go and isolations / machines are a waste of time. That gave me a good excuse to toss out the routine with plenty of weird curls & presses from the gym PT.