• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on Stronglifts

"Vlad. Lost 10″/4.5cm waist in 8 weeks. Body fat dropped by 3.5%. We achieved both without cardio. Squat increased from 160lbs to 220lbs … Box Squat style. Deadlift increased from 275lbs to 315lbs."

HOLY SHT BALLS!

Wait.... what?

And is now 28. Started strength training in 1997 - - Thirteen Years Ago.

Stats:

Deadlift: 170kg
Box Squat: 142,5kg
Box Front Squat: 130kg
Bench Press: 100kg
Overhead Press: 65kg

Cheers,

Aaron.
What a shit ****.

I would be interested to see Markos chime in here, where a guys asks about the article on overhead pressing. Mehdi claims,
Benefits of the overhead press [...] Healthy Shoulders. The Bench Press works your front shoulders more than your back shoulders. The Overhead Press works all shoulder heads equally. Alternating the Overhead Press with the Bench Press minimizes risks of shoulder injuries caused by muscle imbalances.​
The guy questions this, since of course the anterior deltoid is uninvolved with raising your upper arm above your head - its job is to pull your arm backwards.

Maybe I could work my biceps on bench press, too.

$347 and he doesn't even know basic exercise physiology.

lol post links.

Here you are Simon, the "What People Say of My Fitness Coaching Program" and "Results You Can Expect: Practical Examples" are the best bits to read :)

“Here’s How to Lose Stubborn Fat while Building Lean Muscle and Getting Stronger” | StrongLifts.com

About a third of the way down that page is "Results You Can Expect: Practical Examples."

Also just seen this from "Vlad" who is apparently the guy who lost 10 inches from his waist.

"I was eating like a pig before, was gaining weight, squatted only 2x per week, deadlifting only 1x per week, and still I was very tired during the week. So I had my doubts when you suggested to squat 3x per week, deadlift 1.5x per week, and lose fat at the same time. I thought that this would make me even more tired. But now I have lost 4 kg, my strength goes up (particularly in BP and OHP, where I had big problems before), and I am not tired during the week. So I am very glad about the training with you. I find it great." – Vlad, 38, Denmark.

So let me get this right, he lost 4kgs and with that 4kgs he lost 10 inches off his waist. I must be doing something wrong.

Also how do you Deadlift 1.5x a week?

Maybe I could work my biceps on bench press, too.

yes you can.
the bicep brachii is used in shoulder joint horizontal adduction. the short head of the bicep brachii is attached to the coracoid process (in the shouler joint, just above the scapular).

Last edited:
What a joke... maybe I should buy shares in the 'get ripped in 4 weeks' ads everywhere.

the bicep brachii is used in shoulder joint horizontal adduction.
Only weakly, and only when the elbows are fully extended. Good luck doing a bench press with your elbows fully extended all the way up and all the way down, maybe you could put a slidey tube on the bar.

Or you could just do dumbell flies. But I've never heard of someone getting big arms from doing dumbell flies, perhaps haz can enlighten us. Or even better, Mehdi.

Honestly, how do people come up with this nonsense?

Last edited:
And is now 28. Started strength training in 1997 - - Thirteen Years Ago.

Stats:

Deadlift: 170kg
Box Squat: 142,5kg
Box Front Squat: 130kg
Bench Press: 100kg
Overhead Press: 65kg

Cheers,

Aaron.

Wtf? I haven't read the rest of the thread, but that's pathetic.

I've been training for under two months and I press over 55kg for reps. 65kg should be easy in a few more weeks. Hell, I lifted my 60kg girlfriend over my head the other week without much of a struggle.

I'd be disappointed if I couldn't make those lifts for work sets in a few months. If that's all I had to show for thirteen years I'd shoot myself.

*runs off to read the rest of the thread*

Max has improved at the rate of 20kg per 5 months in that time frame (60kg in 15 months)

I picked that guys best lift and one of Max's worst lifts.

But I cant go onto his forum and debate that, I would be banned. Instead, this guy has 11,000 members, charges like no one I have ever heard of before at his level, and stooges innocent novices who truly want to improve and get stronger.

Now, how did 5x5 originate?

Bill Starr was an accomplished Olympic lifter and Strength coach. He was helping get lifting into high schools. PE teachers were not the most clued up guys when it came to weights in the 60's-70's, and schools didnt have a stack of equipment.

So Bill suggested squats,MP and powercleans, all done for 5x5, just to keep it simple. Some programs had slightly different exercises, but you get the idea. Just 15 sets all up for the kids, they moved from one group to the next, easy to supervise. It was designed for kids in an ill equipped enviroment.

In 1981 I was at St Kilda football club. They had just started a weight program and were quite chuffed. It consisted of squat/bench/deadlift for 3x3, we had less time.

It was simple and quick....convenient. The best program...lol, not by a long shot.

Over 99% of the kids had never seen a weight. It was funny when they asked me what weight I wanted for squats. We were doing bench squats so they were quite easy.

We didnt have Olympic bars, just regular bars weighing 25lbs and assorted plates. I told the strength and conditioning guy I wanted 3 plates. He asked me what size. All the guys before me were using 10lb to 25lb plate on each side, just the one. I said 3x50lb plates on each side. They stood around and mocked me. The 3x3 was easy.

Did I get anything out of it, you bet. Did the guys squatting 75lb(35kg). Not a fu c k i n g thing.

Thats my point, a strictly regimented program with fixed reps and exercises using low reps IS NOT THE BEST WAY TO TRAIN A BEGINNER.

Thats all I've been trying these followers of these lame programs, its not for everyone.

Tonight at PTC I had 5 guys set PB's in the overhead press, three of them managed 120kg overhead.

Thats not a typo, 120kg overhead.

Aaron came around and saw what Max looks like as well today, ask him if training for strength gives you big shiny muscles lol

Sorry about the long post, and if all you guys that read this could please deposit $347 into my account ot would be most appreciated lol

I tried doing > 5 and < 5. It all worked, for 3 weeks.

I've been training 10 months now and am just sitting on 90kg - I deadlifted 187.5 for 7 reps today because I've run out of weights. My friend (awesome rugby player) deadlifted 235kg at his first IPF meet at 82.5kg earlier this year (6 months training, nothing but a belt). Both of us used Rippetoes program, then he used sheiko whilst I used 5x5.

With beginners everything works, just that some things work better than others. Is it any wonder why if you ask any powerlifter what rep range they work in theyll say < 5 whilst opening a copy of flex you're lucky to see a set below 8?

For beginners, 5 works well because it ensures constant progression (something which comes with 4, 6, but long term not with 10 reps) and allows new guys to focus on form, something that cannot be done in a 20 rep squat.

I'm not saying to do the programs 100%, be flexible - I do rows and pull ups instead of cleans in 5x5 and hanging leg raises, my mate ditched the accessory work in sheiko and just did pull ups.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for starr's program - starr wrote for an audience of thick headed coaches who were into their players pancaking people so he limited the exercises.

Westside, sheiko, 5x5, 5/3/1, rippetoes - all of these programs work, just keep to the basic parameters and structure them to your own weaknesses.

Strong lifts has a record board, squat/bench/dead

Totals and Wilks, divided into weight classes

Mehdi ■ 160lbs. ■ (313lbs. + 220lbs. + 374lbs.) ■ 908lbs. ■ 300.02
Westsider■ 165lbs. ■ (308lbs. + 220lbs. + 396lbs.) ■ 924lbs. ■ 299.20
summerss ■ 154lbs. ■ (265lbs. + 210lbs. + 286lbs.) ■ 761lbs. ■ 258.96
Van ■ 152lbs. ■ (260lbs. + 140lbs. + 340lbs.) ■ 740lbs. ■ 254.63
Ghost ■ 165lbs. ■ (248lbs. + 159,8lbs. + 325lbs.) ■ 732,8lbs. ■ 236.868
Nje ■ 165lbs. ■ (247lbs. + 176lbs. + 308lbs.) ■ 731lbs. ■ 236.298
Weezie ■ 156.5lbs. ■ (231lbs. + 160lbs. + 243lbs.) ■ 634lbs. ■ 213.23
nilan666 ■ 153lbs. ■ (229lbs. + 130lbs. + 235lbs.) ■ 594lbs. ■ 203.25
m4ntis ■ 154.3lbs. ■ (220.5lbs. + 110.2lbs. + 220.5lbs.) ■ 551.2lbs. ■ 187.35

And here is Max's

154lbs - 375lbs- 225lbs - 440lbs - 1041lbs - 354.09 Wilks

You guys should check your own and see how you go

Where is that record board? Remember that people without an account there can't use the search functions.

To be fair, people have improved their strength and quality of life using this programme, see here. If it were entirely free then I would not criticise, free advice that helps people a bit, great, nice thing to do.

But to have the chutzpah to charge people $347 when he's not even seeing them in person, and at the same time ask for donations, usually around $20... no. Especially not when he doesn't even know basic biomechanics.

Stronglifts Strongest Man : Challenges & Races | StrongLifts.com Forum

Nina and Annie are light years ahead in the womans section as well.

I had a look at all the weight classes in the men and women, if PTC clients signed up they would totally dominate every class on Stronglifts Record Boards, and by a long way.

The lifts my clients have done were all witnessed by me, the Stronglifts ones are straight out of journals, no one checking squat depth and other variables either, plus they can wear belts.