PDA

View Full Version : CAPO State Titles

PTC
11-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Nick, Max and I went to a meeting with the CAPO president and a bunch of others today. They were sorting out CAPO and making sure that powerlifting continues to rise.

At the State Titles last year there were 16 lifters, there will be around 35 - 40 this year. The event is being held at

Glenferrie Oval, ďFerguson StandĒ

Street:
34 Linda Cresent

City:
Hawthorn
State:
VIC

The equipment they have is first class, the facilities as good as it gets. This will be a VERY well run event and you will see some tremendous lifters. Some of the weights these guys are lifting are mind blowing, and I'm not simply talking about the equipped section, the raw lifts are top class.

There will be around 15 lifters from PTC I hope. There is talk of quite a few interstaters flying in as well.

I am encouraging anybody that has an interest in lifting to come out and have a look. If anybody is interesting in competing and doesnt know how to go about it, contact me and I'll do anything I can to help.

The CAPO guys are hell bent on making the contest a fun experience for every lifter. There are some very good people behind all this, I was very impressed with the attitude of everyone at the meeting. I for one will do everything I can to promote powerlifting, especially the raw categories.

For new guys on here that want to meet and catch up with other forum members, this is a great oppurtunity.

I will post up more information as I get it.

GHOSTrun
11-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Let me know the dates Markos and I'll come down for it.

PTC
11-04-2010, 02:08 AM
16th of May, its a Sunday, I think Liam is coming.

Max is hoping to total 500kg @ 75kg 180sq/100bp/220dl.

He close gripped 102.5kg today, I think he may go over. He is doing great on his 200kg squat program currently.

Nick should total 630-650kg @ 110kg, depending on if he can stay injury free. His lifting is currently the best its been. He will squat over 220kg raw, maybe 230 - 235kg. He may pull 270kg.

Kelly should go 580kg + @ 82.5kg, maybe even 600kg on a perfect day. His squat will be the key, his bench and dead are awesome at 160kg and 250kg, he'll need to make a 180kg squat for a great day.

Fat Dave is the worry, his lifting is shit due to his diet. At 104kg yet, Max has him covered at every single lift in the gym. He missed a 90kg powerclean in the gym today, then Max hang cleaned it for five extremely easy reps. He benches 107.5kg, yet missed a 100kg close grip. He's a real worry.

The guys have been practicing the pause bench, which knocks a few KG,s off your total.

If your going to fly down, you'll have to compete.

Any PTC lifter gets a SPECIAL T Shirt for the event, these will be exclusive, no one else gets one, not even you Mike lol

Rugby88
13-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Iam going up to Albury on the 24/25 of this month with 3 lifters and hopefully have about 5-6 at the nationals (including myself, if my knees don't die lol)

brendon
13-04-2010, 12:03 PM
do you have to compete at state to compete at nationals? im not able to do state but can do nationals

PTC
13-04-2010, 03:18 PM
You'll definitely need a qualifying total Brendon.

Max and I may be at the NSW State Titles Joel, I spoke to Laurie on the phone yesterday.

Rugby88
13-04-2010, 04:09 PM
You'll definitely need a qualifying total Brendon.

Max and I may be at the NSW State Titles Joel, I spoke to Laurie on the phone yesterday.

That would be great mate! - Will Max be competing???? or waiting till the Vic's.

What day will you get down there?

PTC
13-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Because its starting at 10.00am and weigh in finishes at 9.00am, we would have to leave at 4.00am, thats what time I normally go to bed lol

Max wants to compete as a 17yo, its his last oppurtunity as he turns 18 before the Vic state titles.

He will only be 5 weeks in on an 11 week program, its more for the experience as well.

I have to let Laurie know by tomorrow, I dont really want to spend a night in Albury, but I may have too.

Where are you staying Joel?

Rugby88
13-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I will be staying at this place mate - Albury Georgian (http://www.alburygeorgian.com.au/)

That would be cool if Max did the comp - would be a 75kg lifter?

PTC
13-04-2010, 06:00 PM
I think he's 75kg right now.

At the moment he's squatting 175kg, benching 105kg and deadlifting 210kg.

He should be a touch above all those lifts, its just that he hasnt attempted a PB since he started my new program.

What class are your boys lifting in?

brendon
13-04-2010, 06:01 PM
ok i may have to enter and do token lifts to be at nationals.. ill see what i can do,.

PTC
13-04-2010, 06:31 PM
You dont understand.

You'll need a total good enough to be allowed to lift at Nationals.

Its the National Championships, you have to qualify. As long as you do any meet before then with a national qualifying standard, you'll be good.

Rugby88
13-04-2010, 07:04 PM
ok i may have to enter and do token lifts to be at nationals.. ill see what i can do,.

Brendo just have a crack - you should do pretty well in the raw class.

Rugby88
13-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I think he's 75kg right now.

At the moment he's squatting 175kg, benching 105kg and deadlifting 210kg.

He should be a touch above all those lifts, its just that he hasnt attempted a PB since he started my new program.

What class are your boys lifting in?

67.5kg - Blake - teen (18-19)

75kg - Junior Matt

140 + - Luke reynolds - opens

Will be good with Max doing the 75kg's coz I don't think there are many teen lifters!

PTC
14-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Looks like its a road trip leaving Frankston at 4.00am lol

brendon
14-04-2010, 12:20 AM
looks like max is sleeping all the way and your driving markos! well max will be eating and sleeping

brendon
14-04-2010, 12:22 AM
You dont understand.

You'll need a total good enough to be allowed to lift at Nationals.

Its the National Championships, you have to qualify. As long as you do any meet before then with a national qualifying standard, you'll be good.

whats a good enough total? if i total 530kg will that be enough? 100kg raw class.

just had a look. 530 is good enough for 4th grade, i assume the table i looked it is equipped.

PTC
14-04-2010, 12:24 AM
He may not be eating, he is growing too quickly, ultimately he may lift in the 82.5kg lol the same skinny kid who was 51kg less than 2 years ago.

brendon
14-04-2010, 12:33 AM
the NSW one i doubt i can make it can i lift at the victoria state titles or do i need to do nsw one?

PTC
14-04-2010, 12:44 AM
You can lift at any comp.

Speaking to Paul Nay, he said he would like as many raw lifters competing at Nationals as possible. He hasnt released qualifying totals yet, he'll wait till all the States are over.

You know you can stay at my place if you come down for the States big fella, save money, screw paying for a motel.

Same goes for all your Canberrian Ass Clowns coming down for the Nationals

brendon
14-04-2010, 12:48 AM
cheers markos!

Rugby88
14-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Brendo - I think it may be the right idea to focus on the vic's gives you another few weeks to do abit of a mini prep - I may and its a big maybe going down to the Vic's so my gf can compete - if we can get some solid training over the next few weeks i'll prob see if she wants to have a crack at it.

I'll have a chat to you at the gym anyway mate!

PTC
14-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Were in, see you guys there

Rugby88
14-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Great man!!!

PTC
22-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I spoke to Laurie today, he says he has 31 lifters for the NSW State titles.

How friggin good is that?

Only a handful are lifting equipped. Laurie has been pushing the RAW lifting for 15 years.

We now have to beat 31 for the Vic state titles in 3 weeks.

Joel, are you coming to the Nationals in November?

NPR
22-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Sounds good. Shame I wont be able to make it to NSW with you.

Rugby88
23-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I spoke to Laurie today, he says he has 31 lifters for the NSW State titles.

How friggin good is that?

Only a handful are lifting equipped. Laurie has been pushing the RAW lifting for 15 years.

We now have to beat 31 for the Vic state titles in 3 weeks.

Joel, are you coming to the Nationals in November?

Good stuff mate - that is great!

I will be there this weekend and also thinking of competing at the nationals!

PTC
26-04-2010, 04:52 PM
PTC NEWSLETTER

# 127

NSW CAPO STATE TITLES

Iím writing this newsletter on the morning after the CAPO NSW State Powerlifting Titles. As some of you know, a few of us went up for a look, with Max competing. Itís been three years since Iíve been to a powerlifting comp, and with 13 lifters from PTC competing at the VIC state titles, I thought it would be a good idea to go and have a look. It was also Maxís last chance to lift as a 17yo, as he turns 18 just before the Vicís.

Right off the bat, I have to say I was blown away by how friendly every single competitor was. Everyone in our group said the same thing. From the warm ups to the platform, everybody was incredibly helpful. With the comp organizer being Laurie Butler, who is from the Old School, nothing less shouldíve been expected. This was the way I remembered powerlifting back in the 80ís.

There were around 30 competitors, which is an excellent result. There will be a hell of a lot more next year, with me taking up quite a few from Victoria. Around 25 of those competing lifted in the RAW category. I donít have to tell you guys how I feel about that, pushing the RAW barrow from the inception of PTC, and from day one with my lifting. Laurie tells me he has been pushing the RAW concept for 15 years. For those that donít know, Laurie has bench pressed 200kg @ 90kg RAW. He has also set world records in the equipped section, so this guy really knows his stuff. He isnít very impressed with the ďassistanceĒ modern gear provides.

I was watching a very strong female competitor warm up, she squatted 100kg extremely easily raw, she then fitted her squat suit. What happened next blew me away. She loaded 140kg on the bar, and couldnít even get close to legal squat depth, but she stood up like she had 40kg on her back. Laurie commented to her coach that sheíll need to get much lower than that, to which he replied that 140kg wasnít nearly enough weight to drive her to legal depth. He said going down was the hard bit, standing up was easy. Think about that for a minute. She attempted 180kg in competition, I donít recall if she made it or not, to be fair I paid very little attention to the equipped lifters. With the majority of the competition made up of RAW lifters, this was where the excitement was.

There was a lifter there called Tom, he came from the Elite Powerlifting Club, based in Canberra. The boys from Elite were the standout lifters in my opinion. They all had excellent technique, as much muscle as youíll ever see and enough strength to push Tasmania a little further away if needed. To all you skinny guys that read this and want to know about supersets and body part splits, Creatine and NoExplode, go and have a look at these boys train. THEY ARE MASSIVE. From what I can remember, all of them lifted raw.

Anyway, back to Tom. This boy had too much muscle, he should give some of it away. He stood about 5í8Ē, sorry if your taller Tom, and weighed in at 108kg. He squatted 230kg, real low, in perfect form, without a belt. He later benched 175kg, remember that these guys bench with a pause in competition. I left before his deadlifts, but anywhere around 250-260kg wouldnít surprise me.

I asked him about the no belt. He said he had tried them, he just didnít feel right in them. This guys form, attitude and build are of the highest calibre, as was most of the boys from that club. It was a pleasure to watch them lift. There was another lifter from Elite there called Ariel, what a monster. From memory he squatted over 250kg weighing around the 100kg mark.

The results from the comp will be on the CAPO website, make sure you check them out to see some outstanding RAW lifting.

Another club there with impressive lifters were PowerSports. Joel has done a great job with the boys from PowerSports. Matt was another one of the top lifters on the day. He is one of the top juniors in the sport. I got to spend a lot of time talking with Matt. For a young guy, he is very switched on. He has squatted 302.5kg @ 91kg equipped before. He has now decided to lift RAW at a lighter bodyweight. He has quite a few RAW records already. He broke some yesterday.

Looking at him, he is the biggest 71kg guy I have ever seen. Max was tiny next to him, and Max weighed 72kg, although Matt is shorter. He told me he had spent 20 hours in the sauna on Friday before his Saturday weigh in. He was wearing a hoodie and track pants, with plastic underneath. He had his mum come in and check on him every 10 minutes.

Competition allows a 24 hour weigh in, so Matt was able to weigh in 24 hours before the comp. On Saturday morning after his endurance event in the Sauna on Friday, he weighed in at 71kg. On the morning of the comp, 24 hours later, he weighed 83kg. That explains why he looked 10kg heavier than Max on Sunday, he was. That is dedication. Sometimes lifting the weights is the easy part, preparation and eating are factors most ignore. His competition prep was an eye opener.

Anyone looking to maximise results, take notice of what the best do, that is who you learn the most from. Make no mistake, Matt is one of the best, and a very funny guy as well. Iím looking forward to catching up with him at the Nationals in August.

The kind of information Matt shared with me, and anyone else who was interested, was one of the reasons we went to Albury for the comp. Max couldnít win, as he is Victorian, thank God, but the experience is what we were after. Did we learn anything? Hell yes. Instead of worrying about our weight, with Max coming in too light because he wanted to make sure he came in under 75kg, we will lift at over 80kg and sweat the excess off. Max weighed 76kg the weekend before, but ultimately came in too light at 72kg. More on this later.

Blake is a young man that has been a PTC supporter since its inception. He lives in Canberra and lifts under the PowerSports banner. Joel has done a great job with him. Blake has competed at PTC comps and has a hunger for competition.

At Australia Day 2010, Blake weighed 69kg and managed a 115kg squat, 90kg bench and 180kg deadlift. Yesterday he weighed in at 63kg and squatted 120kg, benched 90kg and deadlifted 190kg. He is only 18 and was the only other teenager at the comp. He set the National Records for his class. There werenít any records in his class, or Maxís before the comp, hopefully a few more lifters will start competing raw.

What Max and Blake did though, was break the existing equipped records in their weight and age class. Now LOTS of lifters have competed in these classes, but Blake and Max were able to beat all their deadlift attempts RAW, without the use of a belt either. Blake too lifts without a belt.

The record in the Equipped 18/19yo 67.5kg class was 185.5kg set in 2003. Blake pulled 190kg and took a fourth attempt 192.5kg for triple bodyweight and to set the mark even higher but just couldnít lock it out. Blake and Max will be chasing World Records in the WPC at the Nationals. You canít set World Records at a state level comp. More on this later.

So how did Max go at his first ever official comp? He went okay. Waking up at 3.30 am on Sunday morning and driving to Albury from Frankston, a 4 hour drive is not ideal, but most lifters will need to learn how to perform in less than ideal situations if they are to prosper.

Max weighed in at 72kg, which is way too light for him, seven days earlier he was 76kg.

He warmed up with his squats and was done15 minutes before he took his first attempt of 160kg. He made a very easy lift, but then had to wait another 20 minutes before his second attempt of 170kg, a weight he has never missed. He missed it badly. He had gone stone cold waiting. We had never waited that long between attempts. He went back to warm up again, but 140kg felt heavy and he said he wanted to go all the way down to 60kg and tart his warm up again. I thought this was a waste of time, so we passed on his 3rd attempt and planned for a big deadlift instead.

He opened with 90kg in the bench, made 95kg on his second attempt and tried to equal his PB of 100kg paused on his 3rd attempt, but missed it after a hard fight.

The deadlifts went smoothly, he took 190kg, made 200kg on his second then set a PB with 212.5kg on his third attempt.

Max too has now set the National Records in the 16/17yo 75kg class. There were no records previously, so itís hard to determine how he went. Looking at the equipped section, a 200kg deadlift record had existed for 6 years, he broke that RAW by 12.5kg. He had also planned to break the squat and total record set in the equipped section, but things didnít work out.

Even though he broke the Equipped Records while lifting Raw, he had decided to lift in the Raw section so you canít break records in another section, same as he couldnít win the NSW state titles. This was done for experience, and it was a brilliant learning experience.

The Vic state titles on May the 16th is our next comp. I will have 13 lifters to look after, so Iíll be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

CAPO is an affiliate of the World Powerlifting Congress on the world stage. They recently added a RAW division, so the records in some categories are not exceptional, in others they are. Itís only going to get stronger, and for that to happen we need lifters to lift RAW at National comps and set world records that are of a high standard.

Max smashed the existing world records in the WPC raw section, but because they were set at a State level comp, they donít count, they have to be broken at the Nationals. At the Nationals, Max will be lifting as an 18yo in the 82.5kg class. The current World Records in that age and weight class are

WPC 18/19yo 82.5kg Raw World Records
Squat - 160kg
Bench press - 105kg
Deadlift Ė 210kg
Total Ė 475kg

This RAW category is fairly new so the records currently arenít exceptional, we will do our best to set higher marks come November. Hats off to the WPC and CAPO for adding raw categories, other federations stick their heads in the sand when it comes to RAW lifting, putting it in the too hard basket. If you want to lift RAW in Australia, then you HAVE to lift with CAPO, and CAPO is tied in with WPC, the World Powerlifting Congress.

There is another Federation in Australia called Powerlifting Australia. They donít have a RAW section, only equipped. Still, I thought Iíd compare Maxís lifts to kids his own age wrapped up like mummies. The records in the 18yo category with complete assistance gear, bench shirts, squat suits, erector shirts, knee wraps, wrist wraps, belts and super duper undies (Iím not joking) are

PA National Records 18yo 75kg class equipped
Squat 195kg
Bench press 142.5kg
Deadlift 225kg
Total 542.5kg

Max hasnít turned 18 yet, but I reckon he would break the squat and deadlift equipped records in that Federation raw before the end of the year. What a pity they donít offer Raw competition, I guess there are too many fragile egos over there. They have drug testing so that nobody gets too lift 40-50kg more than their natural strength allows, but you can wear a squat suit that adds up to 100kgs in some instances. Howís that for borderline moronic and totally hypocritical. I really wish they would add a Raw section giving lifters a choice, as it stands, if you want to lift Raw, CAPO is the answer.

So while setting National records without any competition is a hollow feeling, comparing his efforts to Raw World Records and Equipped National records gives his efforts some sense of achievement.

Either way, I have been looking at the WPC World Records in the Raw divisions, I Ďm pretty sure quite a few are going to be broken at the National Titles in August.

Iíd like to give a big thanks too Laurie and Taylor for putting on a brilliant show and making the atmosphere as friendly as I have experienced. Weíll definitely be back, and I urge EVERYONE to support CAPO and Laurie and get to their next comp.

Also, if you are in Albury, you would be nuts to lift anywhere else other than his Supershape gym. He has everything you need there. I had a ball playing on his Nautilus Equipment, I love that shit.

Stay strong, stay raw, and throw your belt away

Markos

www.ptcfrankston.com (http://www.ptcfrankston.com/)

For those interested here are the videos from the comp

YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/1/C0pF7VIx0oo)

YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/2/gEn6Bp0hp4M)

YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/1/C0pF7VIx0oo)

Christian
26-04-2010, 05:10 PM
****ing machine, well done guys well done!

amac38
26-04-2010, 09:40 PM
great newsletter marcos, it's interesting how these powerlifting meets work.

props to Max for giving it his all, being in a car 4 hours before a meet isn't too great.

i went to watch Powerlifting Australia event a week or two ago in Perth. Everyone had belts and knee wraps, no-one was lifting raw. wasn't really my scene.

i'll definitely be attending CAPO's meet in Perth on the 30th May. I might even consider competing for fun :eek:

Zarkov
26-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Now THAT was a great read!

Rugby88
27-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Great read - I would just like to say what a really great day it was! - It was great to meet Markos and the guys from PTC - I was really looking forward to that.

And also to Matt, Luke, Blake and Max - you guys were great! - 9 Aussie records between you guys.

I honestly can not wait for the nationals and having all the PowerSports and PTC guys competing!

Fenrir
27-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Does anyone know if they have a CAPO state titles for QLD? All I know of is a few Powerlifting clubs in QLD.

I googled it and found an old website for CAPO that is out of date.

PTC
27-04-2010, 03:26 PM
8th of May for the CAPO QLD State titles

Queensland

Event

Title:STATE TITLESWhen: 08.05.2010 Category: Queensland (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=categoryevents&id=3%3Aqueensland&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=127) Description

Start: 12:00pm

Address: 76 Simmons Rd, North Ipswich.

Contact Person: Mason Jardine 0412 660242 may 8th, the venue will be at 76 simmons rd North Ipswich the home of Mason Jardine (who has kindly allowed the use of his trainig facility). Lifting will start at 12pm with warm up from 11am-12pm, weigh in on day will be from 10am-11am. This will be a full 3 lift comp. for both raw and equipped lifters for more info feel free to contact Mason 0412660242 or Dom 0418191087,look forward to seeing YOU soon
CONTACT DOM 0418191087

Queensland - STATE TITLES (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=details&id=29%3Astate-titles&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=127)

27-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmmm....... I'm on my phone, but are any RAW records for a guy that's 83kg and 22yo?
I'd be keen to lift or at the very least watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rugby88
27-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Hmmm....... I'm on my phone, but are any RAW records for a guy that's 83kg and 22yo?
I'd be keen to lift or at the very least watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am pretty sure there are no current records for juniors 82.5kg - what numbers you looking at doing?

Dancelot
27-04-2010, 04:52 PM
That's some arse kicking from PTC!

Pity about Powerlifting Australia not offering a RAW division. I train right next to one of their gyms and am thinking about joining - just to train among strong folks. I want to compete one day for fun, but it doesn't seem very kosher to train at Powerlifting Australia yet compete at CAPO.

PTC
27-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Sticky is currently at around 450kg, thats a good total.

I'll have someone at the Vics in the 82.5kg doing 180/160/260/ but he's 25 I think. He's aiming for 600kg.

Just compete and get an OFFICIAL total, then you'll always just be competing against yourself, dont worry about the others.

There may not be a RAW Junior Total in the 82.5kg class, but if you dont set one, who will?

27-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I am pretty sure there are no current records for juniors 82.5kg - what numbers you looking at doing?
Im not that strong, Max blows me out of the water :p. Ill be looking at the lifts in my sig, plus 5-7.5kg.

PTC
27-04-2010, 05:15 PM
No he doesnt, its very close

27-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Yea, but he's what, 10kg lighter :p

27-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I just had a chat to Mason. Seems like a nice bloke.
Im seriously considering entering, even if its just to say I did. I dont have one of the soft suits though, so he said that MIGHT be a problem.

Markos, Id really love to have a chat with you either via phone or PM on the way things work, what to expect, preperation ect......

PTC
27-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Ring me anytime sticky, all my details are on my website.

Soft suits are cheap, there is a guy in QLD selling them, Mason can hook you up.

Nico is one of my other 82.5kg lifters. He has decided to compete at the Vics, he is a junior, 20yo.

His best lifts are 160/130/230 total 520kg @ 82kg

Strong

27-04-2010, 11:31 PM
To much strong for me :p

They are my lifting goal numbers. I will finally be happy (with my strength at least) when I can hit those numbers. I'll give you a call tomorrow after work.
Posted via Mobile Device

PTC
28-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Here is a list of the lifters from PTC competing at the states

MEN OPEN SECTION
Nick 110kg class(630kg)
Dave 110kg class(485kg)
Alen 90kg class(510kg)
Kelly 82.5kg class(580kg)
Dim 75kg class(415kg)

MEN JUNIOR CLASS
Nico 82.5kg class(520kg)

MEN TEENAGE CLASS
Kaspar 100kg class(480kg)
Max 75kg class(480kg)
Daryl 67.5kg class(410kg)

MEN MASTERS
James 110kg class(435kg)

LADIES OPEN CLASS
Annie 75kg class(285kg)
Vicki 60kg class(250kg)

LADIES JUNIOR CLASS
Dimi 82.5kg class(295kg)

LADIES MASTERS
Nina 60kg class(270kg)

The total are current PB's based on their lifting at the moment, its just a guide

Rugby88
28-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Mate that is great 14 lifters! - hope I can get down there for this comp!

Rugby88
28-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Also here is some pics of our lifters + a few of Max: (hope everyone can see them)

PowerSports Club | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PowerSports-Club/147013848979?ref=ts#!/photo.php?pid=5164001&id=147013848979&fbid=414937768979)

Kyle Aaron
28-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I suspect Dave would have an easier time if he could make a lighter weight category...

You should put names to more of those lifters on your pages, PS.

Rugby88
28-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I suspect Dave would have an easier time if he could make a lighter weight category...

Yea havnt got around to it yet lol

Rugby88
28-04-2010, 01:45 PM
All tagged!

PTC
28-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Nice shots Joel

PTC
28-04-2010, 03:12 PM

That is the frustrating thing with Dave. He has been sitting on 103kg for a year. I asked him to drop 3kg so that he could lift in the 100's around 2 months ago. Let him lift against Nick, serves him right.

If he moved to the 100's, we would have 14 lifters in 14 classes. This hasnt been done deliberately either.

Little Nick would have lifted in the 75's with Dim, ACL playing soccer.

Jayden's gone AWOL, he is in the 125's anyway

Dont know what Simon is doing, he would be in the 110's

I'd like Ronnie to lift, but I dont think he's in a position too at the moment, he would join Alen in the 90's.

Brittany would be in the junior women 75kg class and would set deadlifting records that would last a long time....140kg......I dont think she's very interested in competition

Elissa would do great in the 67.5kg class, I'm not sure how keen she is.

It would've been nice to take 20 lifters, maybe next year.

Kyle Aaron
28-04-2010, 03:41 PM
There are state championships, are there regionals? If not, there could be, numbers allowing. Because that would be one way to get more lifters from certain gyms. Bash at the Beach would become the Southeastern Melbourne Regionals. Then Britt could set her record. I reckon she owes it to the women out there, give them something to aspire to instead of faffing about with the little pink dumbells.

Just tossing out thoughts, they're probably crazy. I couldn't even get them to put a records board up at the local gym. "It's a liability issue," they said.
"????!"
"Well, if people start pushing themselves in the gym, they might get hurt."
"Isn't that what gyms are... never mind."

PTC
28-04-2010, 05:00 PM
CAPO have novice 3 lift comps, push & pull comps and an Annual Deadlift comp during the year, along with their State titles. They sometimes have a bench press comp as well.

I'll see if she'll do the deadlift comp in December this year

28-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Just Called M, got Nina :p.

Ill try and give you a call a bit earlier tomorrow :)

aussieBaller
28-04-2010, 09:49 PM
m is generally in the gym from 6pm til 10pm each night.

PTC
28-04-2010, 11:56 PM
PTC lifters at CAPO Vic titles

MEN OPEN SECTION
Nick 110kg class(630kg)
Dave 110kg class(485kg)
Alen 90kg class(510kg)
Kelly 82.5kg class(580kg)
Dim 75kg class(415kg)

MEN JUNIOR CLASS
Jayden 125kg class(540kg)
Nico 82.5kg class(520kg)

MEN TEENAGE CLASS
Kaspar 100kg class(480kg)
Nathan 90kg class(380kg)
Max 75kg class(480kg)
Daryl 67.5kg class(410kg)

MEN MASTERS
James 110kg class(435kg)

LADIES OPEN CLASS
Annie 75kg class(285kg)
Elissa 67.5kg class(200kg)
Vicki 60kg class(250kg)

LADIES JUNIOR CLASS
Dimi 82.5kg class(295kg)

LADIES MASTERS
Nina 60kg class(270kg)

Just added 2 more lifters tonight, Jayden and Elissa.

dave
29-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Kelly is a strong guy should go well.

Christian
29-04-2010, 11:25 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs291.snc3/28236_414944168979_147013848979_5164149_7269163_n. jpg

LOOK AT THOSE ****ING LEGS MACHINE!!!!!!!!

PTC
29-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Must be all the leg presses he does

Kyle Aaron
29-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Don't lie, we know about the secret Zumba room out the back!

Christian
29-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Must be all the leg presses he does

SHHHH dont ****ing tell people the secret!

katie
29-04-2010, 12:32 PM
You sure it's not due to using the Leg Magic machine? As advertised on TV!

PTC
29-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Here are the details of the guy I get my lifting suits from, he is the Titan rep in Australia

bbjoey555@hotmail.com

His name is Minh, tell him Markos gave you his details.

He also sells Titan deadlift slippers and Titan knee length socks

29-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks M, it was a pleasure talking to you and hopefully SEE you in august :)

29-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Update.
Called Domonic again, Im 100% that ill be lifting now. I had to cancel an important family thing, but it CAN be re-orginised, this cant.
M, is it B.Y.O spotter? :p, Im already a little nervous :rolleyes:

NPR
29-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Just bring yourself.

CAPO supplies spotters.

PTC
30-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Well done Scott, you wont regret it, see you at the Nats.

Young Nathan has decided to compete. He is 17, 90kg and deadlifts 190kg. His bench and squat need work, with his height, it will take longer than most. He has already benched 80kg and squatted 100kg.

Thats 17 lifters in 16 different classes

PTC
30-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Results from the CAPO NSW state titles are now up on the CAPO website

New South Wales - State Powerlifting Championships (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=details&id=33%3Astate-powerlifting-championships&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=126)

30-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I just weighed myself, 83.5. I need to be 81. Tips for a quick drop? I have exactly 7 days.
Sprints?
Sauna?
Hiit?
I've been in gomad, so that's down to 500mls per day.

Posted via Mobile Device

brendon
30-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Dehydrate!! drop water weight.. sip on water. then weigh in and then rehydrate with powerade and water and then start eating.. probably not the greatest thing to do but it works.

dave
30-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Sauna then rehydrate if you get weighed the day before. Taper off your training this week so you are fresh too. Drop volume and keep the intensity up but don't over do it. Keep you a little fresher for the meet.

PTC
30-04-2010, 04:49 PM
You need to be 82.5kg

Take a dump lol

Sauna or dont drink before the weigh in. Are they having a 24 hour weigh in?

Dont shower the morning of the weigh in, strip to jocks, take a dump and piss

Rugby88
30-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I just weighed myself, 83.5. I need to be 81. Tips for a quick drop? I have exactly 7 days.
Sprints?
Sauna?
Hiit?
I've been in gomad, so that's down to 500mls per day.

Posted via Mobile Device

Mate thats nothing lol - Do not do sprints - I repeat do not do sprints - If you can go weigh in on the gym scales because you may not be over - but all I would suggest cut your water i.e Saturday weigh in, cut water/food Friday morning and thats all u'll have to do - if you are really worried about it then jump in the sauna for acouple of hours on the friday night.

Normally I will get my guys to water load for a few days before cutting the water - i.e normally drink 3L a day Id drink 6L a day and then totally cut it.

It also depends how much you wanna push it - I got Blake who competed at NSW's on the weekend to cut food/water from Thurs arvo so we could bring him in as light as possible so his total was more impressive - he did not drink or eat anything from thursday at 330pm - did 2 hours sauna on the friday night and then weighed in about 10-11am on the saturday at 63kgs - he was 69-70kgs a week before.

At the end of the day its a 24 hour weigh in make the most of it! - aslong as you put all your weight back on + some if possible in that 24 hours your sweet!

30-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm Weighing in on the morning. Also, can't use their scales, it's over a hour drive to the gym.
Posted via Mobile Device

PowerBuilder
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
It also depends how much you wanna push it - I got Blake who competed at NSW's on the weekend to cut food/water from Thurs arvo so we could bring him in as light as possible so his total was more impressive - he did not drink or eat anything from thursday at 330pm - did 2 hours sauna on the friday night and then weighed in about 10-11am on the saturday at 63kgs - he was 69-70kgs a week before.

that's crazy mate!!!that's obviously 6something kg in a few days!!

Rugby88
03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
that's crazy mate!!!that's obviously 6something kg in a few days!!

One of my other guys who trains here spent 20 hours in the sauna on the friday - from 79-80kgs - 71kgs and then back to 83kgs on the sunday!

We will do it all again in a few months!

Might bring Blake in abit heavier though - see how his numbers are.

03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
M, I want to be a maximum 81kg on my scales to give me a bit of head room.
I'll be weighing in at 11am, 1 hour before the comp starts. That's not ideal, but I believe it to be the only option they are offering??
I just weighed myself after going to the toilet, and having breakfat - 82kg.
I won't drink any water/milk on Friday, hit the sauna, and that should see me hit 80kg or less at the weigh in. Then eat, drink, lift, smile
Posted via Mobile Device

PTC
03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
NT CAPO state titles were held on Sunday, here are the results

Northern Territory - Northern Territory State Titles- Raw & Equipped (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=details&id=37%3Anorthern-territory-state-titles-raw-a-equipped&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=130)

7 lifters of whom 4 lifted raw.

Check out the strong 15yo, and Ben Coves 247.5kg deadlift in the 82.5kg RAW class, National Record. Ben is a member over at ns.com, thats a great deadlift

03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Bloody hell, nice deadlift!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rugby88
03-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Ben is a good lifter - I think he missed his 247.5 - just saw some videos of it.

160 S
115 B
245 D

Not bad! - good on him!!

PTC
03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Where can I see the vids Joel?

Rugby88
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Where can I see the vids Joel?

He posted them on his FB mate - Ben TheStig Cove | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Catastrophic82?ref=ts&__a=14)

Not sure how to upload the vids on here.

Ben
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
from 79-80kgs - 71kgs and then back to 83kgs on the sunday!

Does that affect their performance at all mate?

PTC
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Well, he squatted 210, benched 130 and deadlifted 260kg, raw, so I would say that it had no adverse affects on his lifting

I have to join Gay Book to view them, I'd rather neck myself lol

I'll wait till Max comes home from school

Ben
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
All impressive numbers, no doubt about it.

Would he have done better had he not have had to shift his bodyweight by 21kgs?

I think it would be fairer to have to weigh in the morning of your lifting.

Christian
04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
All impressive numbers, no doubt about it.

Would he have done better had he not have had to shift his bodyweight by 21kgs?

I think it would be fairer to have to weigh in the morning of your lifting.

Well that would be common sense..

Christian
04-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, he squatted 210, benched 130 and deadlifted 260kg, raw, so I would say that it had no adverse affects on his lifting

I have to join Gay Book to view them, I'd rather neck myself lol

I'll wait till Max comes home from school

****me dead i just went and drnak 1L of milk fromt he fridge,,

All these great tahletes competing in one place must be awsome for encouragement.. Sometimes i think i get less motivated because i am stronger then 99% of people in my gym.

PTC
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
He smashed the National Junior record in the squat, bench, dead and total. He also smashed the same records in the Open section

Not sure he couldve done much better.

As far as weighing in before the comp, too many lifters come in depleted. That is very unhealthy. No matter what you say, they will still cut to the last minute.

The 24 hour weigh in is fair to everybody, except those driving in from interstate lol

I'm instructing my lifters to simply be 1-3kg over on the Friday morning. A sauna at night and Saturday morning should be enough to make weight.

The extremes you need to go to for 8-12kg are not ideal, I would never ask a PTC lifter to do this.

But Matts a champ who gives it his all, a very impressive young man

PowerBuilder
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
i am stronger then 99% of people in my gym.

you need to join a new gym then

PTC
05-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Ben is a good lifter - I think he missed his 247.5 - just saw some videos of it.

160 S
115 B
245 D

Not bad! - good on him!!

I've now watched the videos. He also missed his 160kg squat, CAPO have some work to do

Dancelot
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
That's a huge difference between his squat and deadlift. He would DL my max for warm-ups but squat just 5kg more. That's odd!

dave
05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Some people are better designed for deads. Long arms, strong back and hamstrings they all contribute. Usually you also find this person does deads more as they excel at them as they are so much easier than squats. It may not go for this guy but it just chucking out some reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rugby88
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
To the dude who asked if it affects his performance dropping weight - I don't think so really - aslong as you can gain the weight back in that 24 hours then normally your sweet! If you can gain even more than you dropped then even better.

Matt will do it all again at the nationals and I can tell you now we are working on getting his numbers even higher than the NSW's and even abit lower BW....very exciting to work and be around such a great athlete.

If Matt keeps going how he is going he can be one of the best Powerlifters for his age/weight in the world - and I will do my best to help him with this.

We have another great lifter doing his mini-test tonight - Nathan Jones - he won the 110's last yr in IPF - he is going for a 320/195/310 tonight - will hopefully get some videos up!

NPR
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Raw or equipted Joel?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rugby88
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Raw or equipted Joel?
Posted via Mobile Device

He will go equip tonight - but he has done a 300 dead raw (belt) before at 109kgs

NPR
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Very impressive.

PTC
05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Matt already has most lifts covered now, he went 210/130/260 total 610l

WPC Junior World Records
75 KG CLASS
S 215.0 Muratov. Pavel 85 RUS 02/26/2009 Chelyabinsk. Russia
B 152.5 Kelin. Dmitry 88 RUS 10/02/2009 Rostov
D 260.0 Dekkert. Yevgeny 89 RUS 10/02/2009 Rostov
T 602.5 Muratov. Pavel 85 RUS 02/26/2009 Chelyabinsk. Russia 215-137.5-250

Rugby88
06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Here is a vid of Matty smashing out 220 for 5 - Videos Posted by PowerSports Club | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=147013848979)

PTC
06-05-2010, 12:13 PM
That is excellent.

I should have filmed Kelly last night, he pulled 230kg x 3 without a belt @ 81kg

These boys are VERY strong

Ben
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
How long has Matt been training?

Rugby88
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM
He did his first PL comp in 2008 I think but not sure how long he has been training full on - he also did a bodybuilding comp in 2008 I think.

06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Weighed 82 on my scales this morning.
Off to the sauna tonight and Friday arvo as I may now be able to weigh in late friday arvo. Fingers crossed.
I'm aiming for a 97.5 bench, 142.5 squat, 200 deadlift. I haven't deadlifted since Easter though....

Quick question for experienced lifters, openers?
I read that PTC recomends that your 1st lift is something you can do x3.
So I was thinking
85kg, 92.5kg, 97.5kg
125kg, 135kg, 142.5kg
175kg, 185kg, 200kg

does this look ok?
I normally do ALOT of sets doing a 1rm, this 3 lifts business is all new to me.
For example, my 205 went warm ups

Sorry for all the newbness, I just don't know what to expect.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ben
06-05-2010, 07:44 PM
All the best Sticky.

PTC
07-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Here is something I did for my lifters yesterday. Seeing I feel partly responsible for your entering, I think its only fair I share it with you.

PTC LIFTERS COMPETING AT CAPO STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

As most of you are novice first time lifters, I thought I’d prepare a few notes for you.

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to compete. I feel after 2 years, PTC lifters are ready to step onto the big stage and see where they stand. I take great pride in knowing that those lifting under the PTC banner have little to no experience lifting elsewhere, with a couple of exceptions. Where other gyms have elite lifters walk in, I have a sense of accomplishment knowing we did it together in my garage. I would love to have elite lifters train at PTC, but I get much more from building a lifter up from scratch.

Now I know some of you are going to be nervous, that’s to be expected. You’ll simply have to trust my judgement during warm ups and openers. I am very conservative with opening attempts. Where some class them as their first attempt, I liken them to our last warm up. We don’t miss warm ups. Having an easy opener does two things.

First, it helps eliminate nerves. Second, it gets you in the comp. I just went through the Powerlifting Australia records of the 2009 Nationals. They had 20 lifters bomb, they did not perform a successful attempt at one of the movements.

Some say that’s part of the sport. I say it’s idiotic. Only your best attempt counts, it’s not a compilation of your three attempts. So don’t fret about your openers, I’ll take care of that. For your second and third attempts, we’ll discuss them on the day.

Making contest weight. Some of you are going to be cutting it fine in regards to making weight. First of all, know the weight classes.

56kg
60kg
67.5kg
75kg
82.5kg
90kg
100kg
110kg
125kg
125+ kg

Someone wishing to compete in the 60kg class needs to weigh no more than 60.0kg, preferably 59.9kg. Now for those of you cutting it fine, here are some very simple tips. Making weight is an exact science to some. We can practice that later. For novice lifters, let’s make the whole experience fun and enjoyable.

We have a 24 hour weigh in. That means we weigh in 24 hours before the comp starts. This gives us ample time to eat and regain any weight we have lost in the lead up.

Weigh in starts at 9.30am on Saturday at Body World in Balaclava. Be there at 9.30am. On Friday morning I want you to eat a bowl of porridge for breakfast. At 10.00am I want you to drink a protein shake or meal replacement drink. At 2.00pm I want you to eat a piece of wholegrain bread with peanut butter, repeat at 5.00pm. That’s it, no more eating before weigh in. I want you to stop any fluid intake from 2.00pm. Suck ice and spit if you need to. This is very important

On Friday night I want you to spend as much time as you can in a sauna as possible. No swimming or bathing, no showers. Just sauna and sweat, for as long as you can handle it. We are ridding the body of excess fluid, this is where the most weight loss will occur. You should go to bed no more than 1kg over your required weigh in weight. If when you wake you are still over weight, back to the sauna. Remember, do not shower at all, the skin will absorb up to 2kg of water at this stage.

As soon as you step off the scales on Saturday morning, I want to have 1 litre of a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water. I now want you to eat every 2 hours before the comp. Ideally you should be lifting at a heavier bodyweight than you were before Friday.

It is possible to manipulate weight loss of up to 15kg in this time frame, and regaining it in 24 hours, but this is extreme and not needed for novice lifters in their first comp.

I will be providing PTC T Shirts for all lifters to wear at the comp. You are required to wear a T Shirt under your lifting singlet. You will also need to provide knee high socks. If you don’t have any, I’ll have knee high Titan socks. Those of you that have squat shoes and deadlift slippers, make sure you pack them in your bag, along with a towel. I’ll bring the chalk.

You will need some heavy warm clothing to wear between lifts, a hoodie and track pants ideally. You may have to wait 20 minutes between attempts.

The lifting will be in flights. Each flight will consist of about 10 lifters. They usually start with the ladies, then teenage or junior men, then the guys up to 90kg then the heavies. Until all registrations are in, the organizers won’t know how many are in each class, so I can’t tell you when you’ll be lifting.

Paul Nay has been very kind in allowing us to join CAPO on the day of the weigh in, and also pay our competition fee on the day of the weigh in.

You will need to roll up with a membership form and a competition entry form filled in on the day.

Membership fees for CAPO are $85 per year, then $60 per year for continuous membership.

Entry fee for the comp is $60.

Weigh in is at Body World Gym, 285 Carlisle Street Balaclava, its upstairs, at 9.30am 15/5/2010

Competition is at Glenferrie Oval, Fergusson Stand, 134 Linda Crescent Hawthorn at 9.30am, doors open at 8.00am, 16/5/2010.

Here is a list of PTC entrants.

MEN OPEN SECTION
Nick 110kg class
Dave 100kg class
Alen 90kg class
Kelly 82.5kg class
Dim 75kg class

MEN JUNIOR CLASS
Jayden 125kg class
Nico 82.5kg class

MEN TEENAGE CLASS
Kaspar 100kg class
Nathan 100kg class
Max 75kg class
Daryl 67.5kg class

MEN MASTERS
James 110kg class

LADIES OPEN CLASS
Annie 75kg class
Vicki 60kg class

LADIES JUNIOR CLASS
Dimi 82.5kg class

LADIES MASTERS
Nina 60kg class

STRONG IS STRONG

07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you very much M.

I hit the sauna yesterday, and then showered, DOH! I'll hit it again today for 3 hours and drive straight to the weigh in.
I feel weak, very weak.
As soon as I get my fluids up again and have a few meals I hope I'll feel better.
As for how much to eat and drink.... I planned on drinking water to the amount of KGs that I lost, between weigh in and comp. Then eating every 2 hours and a 10 hour sleep. I should feel awesome after that!

And M, with out that chat and the newsletters I wouldn't be entering at all. You definatly gave me the confidence I needed to get out there........ I'd say your slightly MORE than partly responsible :p, cheers!
Posted via Mobile Device

PTC
07-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Dont start using the sauna till AFTER your last meal before weigh in, and drink no fluids till weighing after your last meal

07-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Ok, start weight, on my scales was 84. Got down to 77.

Gym scales said 79.7.

Weigh in scales said 80.6.

Lucky I didn't trust my scales at "80"
Posted via Mobile Device

PTC
07-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Well done....

07-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Cheers M,
Out of interest, how long has Nick been training with you?
I've been training at home for less than 12 months.

Also,
with the PPP work just as well with pause bench?
Posted via Mobile Device

aussieBaller
07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Sticky I can answer the second question. What the boys do is pause the first rep then smash out the others touch and go. Except for Max who prefers to pause every rep.

PTC
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Nicks been with me since March 2008, I opened in Jan 2008, I dont know why he waited so long lol.

He was soooooooooooooooooo weak when he started lol....mucho strongo now though

PTC
07-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Here is what we've been doing in lead up to the comp.

Tonight was our last heavy deadlift session. The boys hit openers.

Dim pulled 185kg easily (185kg PB)
James pulled 185kg easier (192.5kg PB)
Max did 200kg (212.5kg PB)
Dave did 210kg ( 215kg PB)
Alen did 210kg (220kg PB)

There is a good chance all 5 will pull 200kg. That will leave only Daryl without a 200kg deadlift.........he is 17 and 67.5kg though. He feels he's a chance of getting close to 190kg.

Daryl paused 100kg for a triple on the bench, he may get 110kg.

Nina squatted 87.5kg and Annie squatted 85kg.

On Monday they will hit their squat openers, on Wednesday their bench openers, then a general full body real light session on Friday, then sauna, more sauna and sleep.

08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow!
From 77 to 84 before bed. That's NUTS. I had no idea that I could remove that much water and still be alive :p. I should see 85-86 by start time. I appreciate everybodys help in the last few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi guys.
For anybody that's interested, I competed today.
I squated 145kg - + 2.5 from pb
I benched 102.5kg - + 5 from pb
I deadlifted 195kg - -10 from pb

that's all 3 national records :p

comments.
Everybody was BLOWN away with how low I was getting in my squats. I was squatting ATG where most of the other lifters got a "miss" for not even breaking paralell. The 145 was EASY. I wish I had of tried 147.5 now :(

I'm very dissapointed with my deadlift. Don't know what happened. I got 205kg a few inches up and then nothing. My shoes maybe? First time I've DL heavy in my Do-wins.

My 95 bench flew up, so I thought rather than going 97.5 like I was going to, I'd go for the record, and lifted it :)

There were alot of strong guys there. I was VERY impressed. The highlight for me though was a 78yo man, who hadn't lifted in 3 years, squatting around 150 raw. Was AWESOME. I'm not sure if he got deep enough for a pass, but even getting under the bar was insperational to me. TOP work mate!

A big thanks to Mason, Dom and the massive unit spotters for an awesome day of raw lifting.

An even bigger thanks to PTC for his advice and confidence in me to allow me to grow the balls to give it a shot!!!!

Extatic!
Posted via Mobile Device

dave
08-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Nice work man, maybe next time try not going so low and add on some weight could have pulled out an even bigger record :o.

amac38
08-05-2010, 06:51 PM
congrats sticky, that's awesome numbers you put up!

aussieBaller
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Sticky Congratz on the lifts. Some tips. With deadlifting in shoes use the flattest soled shoe you have. Do wins will raise your feet away from the bar. Also its great that you squat ATG. Most of the guys at PTC squat very low and it looks so much better to have an ATG squat than most of the guys who squat at the comps. Max had to tell the spotted that he was going to come down fast. Also if you had made the 145kg squat in your 3rd attempt you are allowed to have a fourth if it is a national record. And because there are none you should have had another attempt. You going to come down to nationals?

Dancelot
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Well done, Sticky! The confidence you get from this competition will serve you very well.

DLing in the weightlifting shoes isn't ideal. I switched back to my flat-soled old Chucks today and lifted 10kg more than I did last week with my Risto WL shoes.

08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys!
I had no choice but to use the shoes. I rode my bike out and had ZERO room in my back pack for an extra set if shoes.

If I get invited to nationals, I'll be coming down for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ben
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I rode my bike out

:eek:

Congrats on the lifts mate. What weight class were you in again?

08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Dropped to 77.5 from 84 on my scales, actually weighed in at 80.6 on theirs. Lifted at 85 on my scales.

82.5kg class, 22yo.

It was a motorcycle...... Incase you thought I was slightly insane :p
Posted via Mobile Device

NPR
08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Well done mate!!!

Remember lifting in a comp is a whole new ball game to gym lifts. You should be very proud of your efforts.

Keep it up.

Fenrir
08-05-2010, 10:48 PM
What was the qualifying total for your weight class so you could attend nationals?

NPR
08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
They are not announcing the qualifying totals until all the state titles are done.

PTC
09-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Your a champ Scott, well done.

Mate, your the National Record Holder, your DEFINITELY in for Nats lol

They are fantastic lifts for a first comp. They are your new PB's, everything else is a gym lift, your lifts today were scrutinized by 3 judges and passed.

By having the balls to compete you have given numbers for others to chase, and they'll in turn give you numbers to chase, and everyone gets stronger because of it.

Cant wait to meet you in August big fella.

Once again, fantastic lifting

PTC
09-05-2010, 12:47 AM
More prep today.

Dave paused 100kg on the bench.

Nick paused 140kg easily.

Max, Alen and Daryl all close gripped 110kg, thats a bench PB for Max and Daryl.

Nina deadlifted 110kg, Annie and Dimi made 125kg

Nina and Dimi paused 65kg, Annie made 60kg in the BP.

PTC
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'm going to have a crack at guessing how all the boys may go on the weekend. These lifts will be based on my observations leading in.

Nathan, 17, 100kg class, 100/80/190 - 370kg
Daryl, 17, 67.5kg class, 160/105/180 - 445kg
Max, 18, 75kg class, 175/100/215 - 490kg
Kaspar, 18, 100kg class, 160/120/210 - 490kg

Nico, 20, 82.5kg class, 160/125/230 - 515kg
Jayden, 20, 125kg class, 170/135/235 - 540kg

Dim , 26, 75kg class, 135/75/195 - 405kg
Alen , 24, 90kg class, 175/115/230 - 520kg
Dave , 25, 100kg class, 175/105/225 - 505kg
Kelly, 26, 82.5kg class, 175/150/252.5 - 577.5kg
Nick , 25, 110kg class, 230/142.5/270 - 642.5kg

James, 61, 110kg class, 150kg/85/200 - 435kg

Vicki , 38, 60kg class, 75/50/110 - 235kg
Nina , 45, 60kg class, 90/67.5/120 - 277.5kg
Annie , 29, 75kg class, 95/60/130 - 285kg
Dimi, 23, 82.5kg class, 115/65/135 - 315kg

It will be interesting to look back and see how close the lifters get to these. The Glossbrenner formula that CAPO and the WPC use is similar to Wilks, although it takes age into account, which is only fair. It only does so for lifters over the age of 40 though.

10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Good luck to your boys markos, I'm sure they don't need it though :p

I'm training my arse out for august now. I'll hopng for 110-160-220 = 490

The same as 2 of your teenagers :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Morgan
10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Good job sticky. :)

Dancelot
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Awesome, can't wait to watch this at the HWC this weekend!

PTC
11-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Okay, I got some wrong lol

I didnt think that PPP would be so effective half way through.

Dim will open with 135kg in the squat, he made it easy tonight. Alen got 175kg easily too, so thats wrong, Kasper will beat most of his, Max is benching more each session, Dave will probably squat 180kg, Nick made the easiest 220kg squat I've seen, then pulled 250kg.

Kyle Aaron
13-05-2010, 04:48 PM
What's the entry fee for spectators? The site (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=details&id=32%3Avictoria-state-championships-raw-a-equip&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=125) just talks about competitors...

amac38
13-05-2010, 04:53 PM
What's the entry fee for spectators? The site (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=details&id=32%3Avictoria-state-championships-raw-a-equip&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=125) just talks about competitors...

i'd say its free, its free here in Perth for CAPO and PA.

PTC
13-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Free Kyle, come up and say hello

PTC
14-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Weight tonight before tomorrow mornings weigh in

Max 74.8kg
Daryl 66kg
Nina 59.6kg
Annie 72.4kg
Dave 99.9kg
James 108kg
Dim 71kg
Dimi 83kg........only one left with work to do

15-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Whoa!
Dave made it. Good stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rugby88
15-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Good luck to all PTC lifters this weekend! - look forward to the comp write up and pics!

PTC
17-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Just got home.

Plenty of National Records broken and set, more details later.

Best Lifter Women - Nina 1st, Dimi 3rd, Annie 4th, Vicki 5th
Best Teenage lifter - Max 2nd, Daryl 3rd, Kaspar 4th, Nathan 5th
Best Junior Lifter - Nico 1st, Jayden 2nd
Best Open lifter - Kelly 1st, Nick 2nd

There were 32 lifters so I'm pretty happy with the results, 11 of the 16 PTC lifters set or broke a National Record, 6 lifters set or broke an unofficial World Record or 4, they will be officialy set in August at the National Titles.

We got 3 out 4 best lifter trophies, the guys and girls were awesome.

Nick deadlifted 275kg without a belt, but got 3 red lights for a slight jerk, I'll post the video later, it was a mighty pull

17-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Good stuff M, I bet your stoked!

What did Nico lift :p?
Posted via Mobile Device

Martigan
17-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Congrats to all lifters involved, Top effort.

JDizzle
17-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I can imagine your beginning to make quite a stir with your "just a garage" gym hehe

well done, looking forward to the 275 video. you gotta get 3 green lights to be a valid lift?

PTC
17-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Nico went 167.5/122.5/235kg and he won Best Junior Lifter.

I am really pleased for all the lifters, they deserve all the plaudits they recieve.

I got a few comments from other lifters there about our garage.

The reason I put such importance on credible contest lifts is: Nicks 275kg deadlift would pass in every gym around the world, including mine, but a 1-2cm dip by the bar, not hitching, was all it took for all 3 judges to give him a red light, you need 2 for a good lift.

Nick was unaware he had red lighted, it was a tremendous lift after 6 hours of lifting.

I honestly expect Nick to pull over 285kg at the Nats.

Max will start loading videos on our YouTube channel tonight when he gets home from school, somewhere in between his squat session.

Most of the lifters who competed yesterday are back in the gym tonight.

17-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Nico is a strong young bloke isn't he :p
I was hoping I'd be a bit closer to him by nats with a 115-160-220 but he will most likely have another 30kg on his total by then :(

Tell him good work, and I'm going to try my best to catch him :)
Posted via Mobile Device

brendon
17-05-2010, 12:08 PM
well done to the PTC lifters.

NPR
17-05-2010, 01:08 PM
This is my 275kg lift that was red lighted.

n4tPpWqhb5c

Christian
17-05-2010, 01:11 PM
how the **** is that not a lift??? Is it because it dipped going up?? It still got up there!

Retards

Rugby88
17-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Good lift mate! - to bad for the slight hitching.

Will def smash that at the nats + some!

dave
17-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Damn that was very close, the tiniest of dips. Nice work.

PTC
17-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Noobs, thats what I mean by gym lifts having little validity, you called them retards, but they got it 100% correct. Most lifters would be shocked that their lifts wouldnt pass at a comp. I encourage every lifter to compete, especially now that we have RAW powerlifting in Australia.

PTC
17-05-2010, 01:31 PM
PTC NEWSLETTER

# 129

CAPO VIC STATE POWERLIFTING TITLES

I’m writing this newsletter on Monday, the morning after the CAPO Vic State Titles. This newsletter will be read by many people on many different websites with varying degrees of lifting experience, so please bare with me, and don’t simply expect that everyone will be an experienced lifter like yourself.

Right from the start I want to thank 3 people who made this event easily the most enjoyable I have been to, Barry Murray, Paul Nay and Steve Brown.

I have often stated that CAPO is run for lifters by lifters. I’m not going to embarrass the 3 guys by talking about their lifts, but 400kg squats and the like show they may know a thing or two about lifting.

Barry Murray as the announcer was outstanding. Half the battle to running a good show is right there. He filled the room with anticipation and excitement, encouraged the lifters, complimented the lifters and most of all helped the lifters. Some of his calls on the day won’t be forgotten. I’ve known Barry for over 20 years so I knew what to expect, but my lifters didn’t. They had a blast, Fat Dave, Nico “The Big Banana” and others really had a chuckle at Barry’s calling.

Being a sensational lifter, he knows damn well how a lifter feels entering the stage, as a coach he knows that a few quiet words to someone going up in a nervous state could make the difference, and as a spectator he knows what a crowd needs to get them in the mood. I have my fingers crossed that the greatest powerlifter in Australia EVER, Adam Coe, will join Barry as a joint caller at the Nationals, these guys go back a long way.

Barry, you made the show.

Steve Brown provided and organized the best equipment I have ever seen at a show. This was world class standards, and I know the PTC lifters really appreciated the opportunity to lift with the best equipment available, anywhere. From the warm ups to the unofficial World Records that were broken, the whole event ran seamlessly. His understanding of what a lifter needs to perform at his best is unchallenged. A true gentleman of the sport, every PTC lifter that met Steve for the first time was blown away by his demeanour and understanding. You couldn’t ask for anyone better at putting a world class show together than Steve.

Thank you Steve, from every PTC lifter.

Paul Nay is the president of CAPO. Here is a guy that will do ANYTHING to have someone take up the sport of powerlifting. I have been in contact with Paul for over a year, we have been trying to get together to help CAPO grow. Raw lifting has been introduced, and I had no hesitation throwing my support behind the movement. Paul will be responsible for the growth of CAPO and powerlifting in Australia. He has vision and commitment not often seen by officials, who make life difficult for someone trying to get started in lifting. This guy simply says “what do you need” and gets it done. He should be extremely proud at getting 32 lifters to the CAPO Vic State Titles, this truly is a remarkable effort. I can’t imagine there be less than 50 at next year’s event.

Thank you very much Paul, and that’s from all my lifters that competed and the others who will soon be competing, thanks to your vision.

Now, I firmly believe that the reason these guys are at as high a level as you can possibly be in their roles at CAPO is because of their lifting. These guys aren’t ass clowns, they are elite lifters and coaches. Nobody knows more than these 3, and if they do, they don’t display it.

The weightlifting centre was packed with spectators, they came to see a brilliant show put on by brilliant people. Powerlifting doesn’t normally get these kinds of crowds. They will from now on. Nobody knows more than me that word of mouth is the best publicity you can get. I cannot think of a single reason why anybody, aside from Nick who had his 275kg deadlift disallowed, would have a single reason to complain. Not one. I’m glad there were a few lifters from the other side come and watch.

Now to thank some others before I get down to the lifters. Scott was the platform manager and was superb. He is a big reason why the show ran as good as it did. Here is another volunteer who is selfless. Cheers big fella, thank you.

The spotters, oh my God. Sean and Mick were absolutely stuffed, they went the whole show. Hamish, Simmo, Simon and others did a brilliant job, but Sean and Mick went all day. I’m pretty sure they will be competing next time as it involves a whole lot less lifting. From all the lifters, thank you very much.

The referees were spot on with their calls. Laurie drove down from Albury to lend a hand, another one of the greatest lifters the sport has ever seen, driving 4 hours to ref another states titles. Can you guys see a recurring theme here? Exceptional lifters doing an exceptional role.

It’s why I keep claiming that Capo is run by lifters for lifters.

The scorer’s table couldn’t have run better. Not one lifter had a problem with a weight, pin height or rack position. Flawless. It may seem trivial, but not if you’re a nervous lifter. It’s all the little things that make the big things big. Thank you.

We had 32 competitors, over 20 officials, 10 or so coaches, hundreds of spectators, and every person in that room wanted every person lifting to succeed on every lift. Might not sound like much, but I doubt it’s been seen very often.

To everyone involved, thank you for making my Sunday the most pleasant day I have had at a lifting comp.

Now to the stars, the lifters. After all, that’s why we were there.

First off, I’d like to thank the experienced lifters who helped out my group. I had 16 lifters there, and it was impossible to help all of them with every issue. Maria helped warm up my girls and generally relax them, the ref’s and officials were great in giving them pointers, Barry encouraged them like they were his own.

Every PTC lifter had a positive experience, and for that CAPO will be rewarded with even more lifters at future comps.

All 16 PTC lifters actually lifted in 16 different weight classes or categories, no two went up against each other, they all did extremely well. With raw lifting only being a couple of years old, we set plenty of National Records. It’s not a big deal to some because some classes had no National Records. What some don’t know is that lots of World Records were also broken, these will become official at the National Titles.

Awards were handed out in 4 categories rather than weight classes, with many classes having only 1 lifter compete, this is the way powerlifting currently stands. In the future I hope to see weight classes full so we can get 1st 2nd and 3rd trophies. Lots of PTC lifters won their class and set National Records, but we simply divided the categories into four, and gave first down to whatever.

The categories were

Best female lifter
Best teenage lifter
Best junior lifter
Best open lifter

Nina won the best female lifter, Nico won the best junior lifter and Kelly won the best open lifter, so 3 out of 4 is a good day.

Max finished 2nd in the teenage section, Jayden finished 2nd in the junior section and Nick finished 2nd in the open section.

Dimi finished 3rd in the ladies section, Daryl finished 3rd in the teenage section.

Lots of National records were set for the first time, and some broke existing records. Kelly broke the 82.5kg class record for the squat and deadlift, Max now has the 18yo record in the 75kg class for deadlift and total, he also equalled the squat record, Daryl broke the open record in the 67.5kg class for squat, bench and total, Dimi broke the record in the 82.5kg class for squat, bench and total, Annie broke the record in the 75kg class for bench press.

James set 4 National Records, Nina set 8 National records, open and masters, Vicki set 4 National Records, as did Nathan, Nico, Dimi in the juniors, Jayden, Daryl in the teenage section, Max now has 6 National Records and has equalled one.

He is moving up to the 82.5kg class, where he just broke all 4 World Records, and will hope to make them official at the National Titles, where it’s the only place you can claim a World Record.

Interesting people I met.

Daniel America, two time World kick boxing champion. He lifted in the 110kg Raw section, and managed 180kg squat, 145kg bench and 220kg deadlift from memory. What a classy guy. A couple of my lifters train at Kick Fit in Dandenong which is his gym, they rave about him. One of my other clients who was there watching recognized him and told me he was world champ, Daniel himself would never tell you.

Greg Gordon. I’m not much of a fan of equipped lifting as you guys may have noticed, but this boy is something special. He is 18yo and squatted 295kg. Freak.

Gawain Johnston, whoever the **** is feeding this guy, stop it. Gawain provided protein drinks for all my lifters on the day, an extremely generous gesture by and extremely nice giant. He is a svelte 160kg at the moment.

As a coach, my highlights were

Kelly deadlifting 255kg @ 79kg...National Record
Max deadlifting 215kg @ 74kg....National Record
Daryl benching 110kg @ 66kg.....National Record
Dim deadlifting 190kg @ 69kg....PB
James not killing himself
Dave not farting once, well none that anyone heard anyway
Sean working harder as a spotter than he ever has in the gym

I will put up full contest results in the near future. I would like to send out a cheerio to Alen, who hurt his back.

Alen pulled his first 215kg deadlift easily, but returned the bar to the ground before the down signal. He then attempted a heavier weight that got away from him, but he wouldn’t quit on the lift and managed to tweak his back, and subsequently bombed out.

Only Max had competed raw previously, 4 weeks earlier in Albury. He totalled 467.5kg, and in the following weeks turned 18 and moved to a different category.

He equalled the squat record of 170kg, broke the deadlift record of 210kg with a 215kg effort and broke the total record of 480kg with a 487.5kg total, a 20kg increase in 4 weeks.

I expect most of the lifters backing up for the Nats in 13 weeks to improve their totals accordingly.

See you all at the Nats
Markos

Christian
17-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Noobs, thats what I mean by gym lifts having little validity, you called them retards, but they got it 100% correct. Most lifters would be shocked that their lifts wouldnt pass at a comp. I encourage every lifter to compete, especially now that we have RAW powerlifting in Australia.

But can i compete in raw?

Is raw equipment free and drug free? Im confused by what they are...

The point that i see i suppose is.. He lifted 275kg i dont know about the rules obviously as i have never watched competed or even looked into it.. But the weight didnt move on its own.. he picked it up locked it out.

Good enough for my books... Competitions books are a different story i suppose but to me he made the lift.

PTC
17-05-2010, 01:46 PM
He didnt make the lift by the rules. If he only squatted a little bit down on the squat, does it count, he made the lift, the bar didnt lift itself, same goes with bench press.

Competition lifts are MUCH harder than gym lifts, 3 referees watch your your every move.

Raw simply means you can only use a belt, thats it, run what you brung, no help with wraps and suits.

Do it.

Do it.

Christian
17-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I will, when im strong..

Rugby88
17-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Noobs - you can compete raw - anyone can - thats the beauty of it - all you need is a soft suit and away you go!

Raw is no equipment.

A gym lift is alot different to a comp lift.

17-05-2010, 02:02 PM
You've got almost identical lifts to me noobs. Just do it :p

the way I see it, if you get used to the comps now, when we are "strong" it should be a walk in the park.......

.... Maybe :)
Posted via Mobile Device

amac38
17-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for forwarding the email to me,

Max is such a beast, really. That's an insane total for his age and weight!

Congrats to Markos, you should be very proud of what all your lifters have achieved and congrats to all lifters!

EDIT: just saw nick's huge deadlift, man i'd give it a white light just for the effort :D
EDIT2: The dude who outlifted Max, what did he lift?

lkt004
17-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I am so pissed off i went off the rails and did'nt compete, 8 weeks out from the comp and i had the state records by a long way! (QLD that is)

NPR
17-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Not a hitch Joel, just a slight bar dip.

Oh well it may not have counted to my total but it's still a personal record.
Posted via Mobile Device

lkt004
17-05-2010, 02:14 PM

I think chris will REALLY struggle to beat you next time lol.

Rugby88
17-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Good work bro!

BigJim
17-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Looks like it went up pretty easy for you Nick.

It's exciting to think what you will lift at the Nationals if 275 went up that easy.

Rugby88
17-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey Markos - just wondering who won the teens? - was it a big unit called Craig, or Greg or something?

Ben
17-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Made it look too easy Nick.

Congrats to Markos and all the lifters, fantastic effort by all.

Dancelot
17-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Awesome results, congrats to all the PTC lifters!

PTC
17-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for forwarding the email to me,

Max is such a beast, really. That's an insane total for his age and weight!

Congrats to Markos, you should be very proud of what all your lifters have achieved and congrats to all lifters!

EDIT: just saw nick's huge deadlift, man i'd give it a white light just for the effort :D
EDIT2: The dude who outlifted Max, what did he lift?

No one outlifted Max, he set the totals and deadlift National Record and equalled the squat.

There was a 19yo boy in the 90kg class who had a better Glossbrenner score, Michael is a very strong boy.

The best lifter trophies were decided on Glossbrenner scores, similar to Wilks, but allows for age difference, its fairer.

PTC
17-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey Markos - just wondering who won the teens? - was it a big unit called Craig, or Greg or something?

Greg Gordon won the Equipped Teenage and Michael won the raw teenage, Greg was the only equipped teenager which is a great sign for raw lifting.

There were 5 raw teenage men lifting, Michael lifted in the 90kg class, he competed at the Nationals in 2007, so he's been around a while.

Greg did squat 295kg in the 90kg class at 18 lol

Rugby88
17-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Greg Gordon won the Equipped Teenage and Michael won the raw teenage, Greg was the only equipped teenager which is a great sign for raw lifting.

There were 5 raw teenage men lifting, Michael lifted in the 90kg class, he competed at the Nationals in 2007, so he's been around a while.

Greg did squat 295kg in the 90kg class at 18 lol

I heard Greg was going for a 300 squat - 295 is a bloody great squat! - strong kid.

Christian
17-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Congratulations nick

PTC
17-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Greg benched 180kg at 16.....100% drug free, single ply shirt from the 80's lol

Ben
17-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Farq.

How heavy is he?

PTC
17-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Around 90kg.

He is recovering from 2 pec tears. He was protecting his pec on the weekend, so he only benched 157.5kg

Rugby88
17-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Around 90kg.

He is recovering from 2 pec tears. He was protecting his pec on the weekend, so he only benched 157.5kg

Awesome lifter!

PTC
17-05-2010, 05:27 PM
If anyone is missing some fast twitch muscle fibres, Greg stole them lol....as fast a bencher as you would see.

dave
17-05-2010, 05:30 PM
That bastard, I would take it up with him if he wasn't so damn strong :p Amazing you athlete, has he ever done shotput, discus, javelin etc?

PTC
17-05-2010, 05:33 PM
He's from Sth Africa so I'm sure he's throws a spear before

Ben
17-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Is there any pics or videos of him online?

PTC
17-05-2010, 05:44 PM
They are of poor quality, he sent Max a link on Gaybook, I'll see if he can get them again.

nievs
17-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Congrats to all participating

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284797

Max

dave
18-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Was that a monolift?

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Nicks 275kg deadlift attempt that was red lighted. How f u c k i n g strong is this guy?

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284784

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Yep, monolift, nothing but the best equipment at CAPO.

Ivanko steel calibrated plates, Ivanko calibrated bumpers, Ivanko powerbars for bench, 25kg 30mm squat bar for no flex, Texas deadlift bar for mucho flexness lol

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284788

Kelly's 255kg National Record deadlift at 79kg.

Both Kelly and Nick are lifetime drug free lifters, zero equipment, finished first and second in their first ever comp, training partners.

I need to buy more weights.

dave
18-05-2010, 11:17 AM
monolift nnnnniiiiiiccccccceeeeeeee. I noticed that was a fine looking bar when max was squatting. Sounds like a great event,

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Max deadlifting 215kg, a National Record

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284789

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Dave, they actually had 2 monolifts there, one for warm ups. There was meant to be a third but it didnt make it.

The squat bar that goes with the monolift is 30mm in diameter so it doesnt flex, and it weighs 25kg without collars, 30kg with. A regular bar is 28mm and weighs 20kg without collars.

The Texas deadlift bar is a pearler, its 7'6", 27mm, its the same bar used by Andy Bolton who pulled 1000lb and Konstantinov who pulled 460kg without a belt.

We get to use world class equipment, the same used by the best lifters in the world at World Championships.

I'm organizing a Texas Deadlift bar for PTC, I promised the guys if they hit certain deadlift goals, I'd get them one.

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Annie

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284799

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Nina

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284804

dave
18-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Nick looked like he was relaxing on a island holiday on that lift, complete opposite expression to Max, he has the roar going on.

Rugby88
18-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Markos - very impressive man! As I have said before this is just awesome for the sport!

Just wondering how the guys/gals found it using the mono? - I know some of our guys havnt used a mono before and have sort of asked me about it - I find them no different really - there is a canberra comp in a few weeks where our guys will get to use the mono and have abit of a practice before nats!

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Nico deadlifting 235kg @ 79kg in the junior section, a National Record, and he finished 1st in the junior section. His lifts were 167.5/122.5/235 total 525kg

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284790

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, out of my 16 lifters, only Nina had used a monolift before, at the 2007 Nationals.

We had no problems with it. The key is, at PTC we set the shoulders up under the bar first, then the feet. With the monolift I told them to set the feet first, then the shoulders.

PTC
18-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Annies failed 135kg deadlift, 3 red lights for hitching the bar. Annie knew she'd hitched, but she was going to finish the lift regardless, she was smiling as she came off the stage.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284805

PTC
18-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Finally, allow me to introduce FAT DAVE

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284794

Christian
18-05-2010, 02:18 PM
**** me what a photo haha

PTC
18-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Dave deadlifting 210kg @ 98kg

He went 175/100/210 total 485kg

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284786

Martigan
18-05-2010, 06:07 PM
The legendary fat Dave in action, Go fat Dave !! doing the fat boys proud.

PTC
18-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Looks like Kelly has joined the forum as well

JDizzle
18-05-2010, 07:27 PM
yeah Dave gets the facial expression just right in that deadlift pic

Kelly's neck almost looks bigger then his head, love it

CaT_SPeW
18-05-2010, 07:55 PM
nice photo of Dave lol.

by the way, whats "hitching"?

Ben
18-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Resting the bar on your legs on the way up.

18-05-2010, 09:16 PM
You pretty much are not allowed to let the bar dip or rest on your legs. When it leaves the floor, the only direction the bar is allowed to travel is up.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Laughing Man
19-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I'm organizing a Texas Deadlift bar for PTC, I promised the guys if they hit certain deadlift goals, I'd get them one.

Cool! Always wondered what it would feel like to deadlift with a bar that would bend like that, I saw a lifter miss a lift on the weekend - he pulled the bar up 10cms, but the plates stayed on the floor!

Catastrophic reckons it adds about 5-10kgs to his deadlift.

KeLLyKiNeZ
19-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Awesome bar to use! definitely gave me an extra 5kg or more. I could have pulled 260kg with out TOO much difficulty with it.

Christian
19-05-2010, 01:13 AM
You know i never though that something so seemingly simple as the flex of a bar could make such a large difference to a lift.. However as markos stated before when it comes to drive and speed if a bar has alot of flex then you are able to get some movement and motion before you actually hit the main load of the bar. Is that wha it is?

The Laughing Man
19-05-2010, 01:19 AM
It's like doing a rack pull(kinda), you lift the bar 10cms(just a rough guess) or so before the plates even come off the ground, so that first 10cm is alot easier as you're not lifting the entire weight, also you can accelerate the bar alot harder, and carry that speed into the lockout, You're not lifting the full weight until the plates come off the ground, at which point you've already lifted the bar a fair distance.

Hope that helps.

Christian
19-05-2010, 01:22 AM
It's like doing a rack pull(kinda), you lift the bar 10cms(just a rough guess) or so before the plates even come off the ground, so that first 10cm is alot easier as you're not lifting the entire weight, also you can accelerate the bar alot harder, and carry that speed into the lockout, You're not lifting the full weight until the plates come off the ground, at which point you've already lifted the bar a fair distance.

Hope that helps.

Yeah thats what i was thinking and trying to say you just said it alot better..

cheers

PTC
19-05-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=284785

Jayden finished second in the juniors. He lifted in the 125kg class weighing 114kg. Here is his 220kg deadlift.

PTC
19-05-2010, 09:08 AM
The bar definitely allows you to pull more weight, though I'm not sure about 10kg.

Max pulled 2.5kg more than he did at Albury.

Its hard to put a figure on it as my lifters hadnt attempted a PB for a while, only Max had maxed out at Albury.

The Laughing Man
19-05-2010, 10:10 AM
It would also depend a lot on the weight lifted, I'm sure Andy Bolton would get 20+kgs, whereas somebody lifting 200kg may only get 5kgs.

PTC
19-05-2010, 11:31 AM
True, it would be % wise

macmad
19-05-2010, 02:23 PM
deleted by user

PTC
19-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm over PA, the best revenge is doing well.

Good to see Simon and Tim there watching, hope they dont get banned for that.

I know I know, but I couldnt resist.

Ben
19-05-2010, 03:36 PM
How much to buy the deadlifting bar they had there?

PTC
19-05-2010, 04:33 PM
They are around $385 in the US, you could double that at least by the time its landed, if not more.

PTC
19-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Here are the full results from Sunday

Victoria - Victoria State Championships - Raw & Equip (http://www.capopowerlifting.com.au/index.php?view=details&id=32%3Avictoria-state-championships-raw-a-equip&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=125)

dave
19-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Do you have a photo of Nina squatting from the meet? I want to see this awesome calf flexibility.

PTC
20-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I have all the comp on DVD, have just been watching it, every lift, every minute, 4 discs, 7 hours lol...awesome quality.

I also have 700 pics.

I'll sort something out shortly

PTC
21-05-2010, 01:37 AM
CAPO State Titles - Hardtuned.net - Page 4 (http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=437927&st=90&gopid=5756952&#entry5756952)

Lots of pics, tons of pics

JDizzle
21-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Is that the big texas 25kg barbell in the squat/monolift pics?

NPR
21-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah 25kg squat bar, 20kg texas deadlift bar.

I didnt pay attention to the bench bar. Some type of power bar i think.

PTC
21-05-2010, 05:11 PM
The bar used in the bench press was an Ivanko powerbar, mucho dinero

PTC
25-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Leader Community ePaper (http://leader.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx)

Mum, son set national records

WITH a lot of oomph, a Frankston gym has achieved stunning results at the CAPO State Powerlifting Championships in Hawthorn.

National records tumbled as 16 lifters from the Performance Training Centre in Frankston put their stamp on the competition. Nina Ma r k o p o u l o s was crowned the best female lifter; her son Max was runner-up teenage lifter; Nicholas Miltos was the best junior lifter; and the best open lifter was Kelly Chan.

In all, PTC lifters set 53 national records. Nina set eight national records: 60kg Open Class and Master 45-49 in squat 92.5kg, bench press 62.5kg, deadlift 110kg for a total 257.5kg.

Max set two national records and equalled one, to go with his four national records in the 16-17yo 75kg class.

In the 18-19yo 75kg class, he set records in t he squat 170kg (equalled) 215kg deadlift for a 487.5kg total.

Nico set four national records, in 82.5kg Junior (20-23yo) squat 167.5kg, bench press 122.5kg, deadlift 235kg for a total 525kg.

Kelly set three national records in 82.5kg open class, squat 170kg, deadlift 255kg for a total 565kg.

All 16 PTC lifters who competed on the weekend have qualified for the national titles in August.

01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm starting to get annoyed at capo QLD for the lack of orginisational skills.
Their is nothing, anywhere to say any of us lifted yet alone broke records.
Even WA's is up FFS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Christian
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM

WITH a lot of oomph, a Frankston gym has achieved stunning results at the CAPO State Powerlifting Championships in Hawthorn.

National records tumbled as 16 lifters from the Performance Training Centre in Frankston put their stamp on the competition. Nina Ma r k o p o u l o s was crowned the best female lifter; her son Max was runner-up teenage lifter; Nicholas Miltos was the best junior lifter; and the best open lifter was Kelly Chan.

In all, PTC lifters set 53 national records. Nina set eight national records: 60kg Open Class and Master 45-49 in squat 92.5kg, bench press 62.5kg, deadlift 110kg for a total 257.5kg.

Max set two national records and equalled one, to go with his four national records in the 16-17yo 75kg class.

In the 18-19yo 75kg class, he set records in t he squat 170kg (equalled) 215kg deadlift for a 487.5kg total.

Nico set four national records, in 82.5kg Junior (20-23yo) squat 167.5kg, bench press 122.5kg, deadlift 235kg for a total 525kg.

Kelly set three national records in 82.5kg open class, squat 170kg, deadlift 255kg for a total 565kg.

All 16 PTC lifters who competed on the weekend have qualified for the national titles in August.

Nice work :) :D

Rugby88
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Good stuff!

PTC
01-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Scott, I have spoken to Paul about this.

I actually used your situation as a an example that is dreadful.

you set records at QLD, then 3 weeks later they were beaten at the Vics, so they will NEVER show on CAPO's website. That is inexcusable in my opinion.

I urge all new CAPO lifters to contact Paul and complain, its not good enough. I know he said the QLD guys still hadnt sent him the results, but the Vics have been run and won 3 weeks ago, and our record board hasnt been updated.

The WA guys lifted blind, no knowledge of what the records are.

Shocking.

JDizzle
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Didnt know you had to qualify to lift at the nationals..

How do you go about doing that?

Rugby88
02-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Didnt know you had to qualify to lift at the nationals..

How do you go about doing that?

Compete in a state comp - you need a X total min but thats not being announced till after all state comps.

Juniors and teens do not need to qualify.

PTC
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
It MAY be different for raw.

Also, this year in Vic for instance, there was only 1 chance to set a total in a 3 lift comp.

Its a bit harsh if you cant compete that weekend. Generally, there is more than one oppurtunity. This will change in the future.

Last check CAPO had 145 paid up members, thats a good number for them.

we should see more comps next year, I hope.

Rugby88
02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I reckon next yr they could nearly have a ACT only comp + a NSW comp - RAW is taking off!

PTC
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
So far the numbers at this years States are

NSW.... 24 raw - 6 equipped
NT........ 3 raw - 4 equipped
Vic...... 21 raw - 11 equipped
QLD..... No f u c k i n g idea
WA...... 21 raw - 3 equipped

69 lifted raw 24 equipped. Times are changing.

If a gym puts up its hand Joel, I reckon they could easily hold a Canberra States on its own. Were working on a Sydney gym at the moment.

You may need better plates though mate lol

Rugby88
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
So far the numbers at this years States are

NSW.... 24 raw - 6 equipped
NT........ 3 raw - 4 equipped
Vic...... 21 raw - 11 equipped
QLD..... No f u c k i n g idea
WA...... 21 raw - 3 equipped

69 lifted raw 24 equipped. Times are changing.

If a gym puts up its hand Joel, I reckon they could easily hold a Canberra States on its own. Were working on a Sydney gym at the moment.

You may need better plates though mate lol

Already getting quotes mate lol

02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
From memory, we had about 11 lift.
9 raw, 2 equipt.
2 jnrs,
1 chick about 40 @ 75kg,
1 78yo male,
2 guys that were 50+ (one deadlifted 280kg I think)
The rest would have been open around the 100kg mark.

At least 5 records were broken.
Posted via Mobile Device

jonnie_sfw
02-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Already getting quotes mate lol

just remember mate, they'll last you a lifetime, so are a good investment

PTC
02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree, thats why I replaced my old ABC plates with Ivankos to go with my Eleikos.

Joel, what plates are you getting, from where, and how much are you paying.

pm me if you want, I can get good deals.