• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vanity vs Numbers

I would have thought you can do both - especially while bulking. I always do at least 1 max set per workout to keep my PB's at a self-respectable level.

Besides, how can you call a good physique meaningless? Especially when comparing it to a PB in the gym? No one cares about how much you squat, and if you have to carry 20% + body fat to power lift like most seem to, then count me out.

They dont have to look like they do to be as strong as they are...in some regards yes they are lazy - they dont give a shit about their health or how they look....u dont need to be hugely over-weight to be strong...look at Matt Kroc and Stan Efferding.

You do know everyone you mentioned takes steroids right? lol...

You have to be trolling here Joel. Because that is bullshit.

They dont have to look like they do to be as strong as they are...in some regards yes they are lazy - they dont give a shit about their health or how they look....u dont need to be hugely over-weight to be strong...look at Matt Kroc and Stan Efferding.

You do know everyone you mentioned takes steroids right? lol...

Yes they are strong, but Mangusson warm ups with their best lifts.

I would have thought you can do both - especially while bulking. I always do at least 1 max set per workout to keep my PB's at a self-respectable level.

Besides, how can you call a good physique meaningless? Especially when comparing it to a PB in the gym? No one cares about how much you squat, and if you have to carry 20% + body fat to power lift like most seem to, then count me out.

Thing is though, everyone is making a mistake right here. Powerlifters, olympic weightlifters, strongmen don't do it to impress people, very few do if any. This is where the self-conscious no one will like me without a 6 pack body builders get it wrong every time.

They do it to challenge themselves, to get improve themselves, to beat their old best, for fun etc.

At the end of the day you dont need to be fat, eat maccas and pizza to be a world class powerlifter....

Yea leverages but other than that...what??? Waiting for your answer Bazza

They do it to challenge themselves, to get improve themselves, to beat their old best, for fun etc.

I get that, and the self-challenge is the main reason I've stuck to my training. I enjoy working out and lifting more each week. But I also enjoy it because I know it's improving my physique. I'm just saying the whole '...you only train to look good? Then you're a loser, that's meaningless..' (the opinion expressed in the opening of this thread) is absolute bullshit. It's self improvement, both physical and mental. Not only just testing strength but also improving physical appearance. How much more meaningful can you get?

At the end of the day you dont need to be fat, eat maccas and pizza to be a world class powerlifter....

Fuck Joel are you serious.

Quickest way to get stronger is eat more calories. More calories equal more muscle ( fat too but they don't care) and better recovery. It's easier to carry more muscle at higher BF levels.

Try how hard it is to get stronger on a cut.

Being heavier makes it easier to move a bigger weight.

As has been said leverages. Also bigger gut helps the squat and fatter chest is less ROM on the bench.

Those guys mentioned dont care how they look and it's pretty funny you think they could look better and not lose performance.

They are after world records. Come on Joel let's get in the real world.

I get that, and the self-challenge is the main reason I've stuck to my training. I enjoy working out and lifting more each week. But I also enjoy it because I know it's improving my physique. I'm just saying the whole '...you only train to look good? Then you're a loser, that's meaningless..' (the opinion expressed in the opening of this thread) is absolute bullshit. It's self improvement, both physical and mental. Not only just testing strength but also improving physical appearance. How much more meaningful can you get?

I get that too and for the record I do respect body building, and I do care to some what my body is like, but not as much as body building.

All I was trying to get across to everyone is don't hate on people doing what they love, some people call Ronnie disgusting etc, but hes a pro bodybuilder. That's what he looks like, and that's what he loves. Same for case for powerlifters. Clearly the fat helps, otherwise would so many people look like that for powerlifting?

I started lifting to look good... come on we all did. Now I still want to look good, but i like seeing my numbers go up more though. But wouldn't mind being strongman big though.

Last edited:

What if you prefer eating Maccas and Pizza over looking good?

I'm willing to acknowledge that I will be sacrificing what most women find attractive in me in order to compete in strongman and make me a better powerlifter (leverages/filling out suit etc) yet idgaf cos I will just flip their cars

As has been said leverages. Also bigger gut helps the squat and fatter chest is less ROM on the bench.
if they truly don't care how they look and only care about WR's why doesn't one of these whales get a massive female breast implants, that way they can reduce their ROM even further.

What about health? It can't be healthy being that fat? Puts you in a high risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and God knows what else.

if they truly don't care how they look and only care about WR's why doesn't one of these whales get a massive female breast implants, that way they can reduce their ROM even further.

I have wondered that. There might be some rules on it, I don't know.

What about health? It can't be healthy being that fat? Puts you in a high risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and God knows what else.

Your definitely right, it wouldn't be healthy. There tend to be prices you have to pay If you want to get to the top in any sport.

There was a thread on BB.com before about that, I can't remember 100% the out come but I have a feeling it would break the rules. Just like shoving a board down your shirt etc.