• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The off season

Much easier with a trap bar.

Neutral hand positioning makes griping the bar easier, smaller range of motion and the bar itself takes a lot of the technical aspect of the deadlift out of the equation.

cb64f125-53d6-dd72.jpg

The dead lift using a barbell and trap bar are two different exercises, using the trap bar resembles more of a standing leg press.

One other difference is it is not possible to lock out the hip using the trap bar as you do with a bar-bell.

I'm not convinced its much easier, just different.

Some lifters have pulled more with the trap bar, some less.

James cant get close to his DL PB

Dave goes 27kg over.

Dim goes 12kg over.

Ryan is 10kg under.

Rory is 42kg over.

Its a different lift.

An example. Dim gets called for hitching on DL. If he was allowed to hitch, he would deadlift more. Not possible to hitch on trap bar, so he pulls more

Can you explain what you mean by this ?

I'll try.

You will notice a difference doing 20 rep's.

It's about load, with the barbell the load is continually challenging the lumber curve.

The trap-bar is a tad different with the positioning of the grip, as in the load is directly in-line with the thigh and hip, changing the emphasis slightly.

The squat, the dead-lift and trap-bar lifts are three very demanding lifts.

But the dead-lift is a lift is an exercise that demands a lot of lower back strength.

If I'm asked to differentiate the three major exercises?

The squat, back and chest with an emphasis on the hip and thigh
The dead-lift,upper back, hip and thigh with an emphasis on lower back
Trap-bar, shoulder girdle, hip and back with an emphasis on thigh

I love all three.
Posted via Mobile Device

the trap bar is more similar to a squat. those that are good squatters will have a higher trap bar than normal bar. those that have a good deadlift will pull less. i would struggle to get 200 on a trap bar. my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pull 200 on both for 5 rep's

My squat on the other hand is not up to par.

I'll quite easily squat 110 5x5 and fininsh off with 70x 20

I have found that my squat increases when my dead lift does, but not the other way around.

No right or wrong it's just how I'm built.
Posted via Mobile Device

the trap bar is more similar to a squat. those that are good squatters will have a higher trap bar than normal bar. those that have a good deadlift will pull less. i would struggle to get 200 on a trap bar. my opinion.

I have an advantage over Harry in that I train multiple clients.

Rory squats 140kg, deadlifts 210kg, trap bar 252kg

He is a terrible squatter, but he has the PTC record for trap bar deadlifts.

There are no rules for lifting, there will always be an example that makes you look silly.

Nick squats 220kg, deadlifts 275kg, trap bar 247kg x 4

Sean squats 140kg, deadlifts 185kg, trap bar 207kg

Sean is not a good squatter

What do these figures all mean?

Everyone should simply keep lifting

interesting. some weird results from Rory. there are always exceptions to most rules. you should use your clients to hypothesizes why some do better and some worst.

another question would be which one should they focus on, the weaker or stronger lift?

Spot on Harry, some pull more, some pull less, tonight Rory raised the bar a bit more with a 262kg trap bar dead. I only let him go up 5kg at a time to keep the others interested.

Bench squats is another odd one, some squat more, some squat less.

Max has squatted 200kg to my 42cm bench, no one has done more.

Dim and Alen squat less to a bench, Dave squats 200kg both ways.

I always get asked, which is easier, there is no answer

As far as which one to train, its goal dependant. A PL should deadlift more, a recreational lifter will possibly get more benefit from trap bars. Both are excellent exercises.

Rory is headed to college in the US, they use trap bars a lot over there, his 577lb lift without a belt is very impressive, I'll film his 600lb lift for his coaches (prospective)

Markos, does your trapbar have the raised handles?
if it does you can actually flip it over to make it harder to give your lifters another option.
My best with the normal handles on the pit bar is 264kg, I think i'd struggle with 230 with the lower handles

Last edited by a moderator:
I have raised handles, but you cant flip it and use the B Side, nowhere to grab, unique design.

Sean pulled 200kg to his knees tonight at PTC 2.0, no chalk there when he attempted, tough titties lol.

Dave deadlifted 200kg x 5 tonight, Alen got 200kg x 2, Dim got 170kg x 3.

Alen is out to break my single DB press record, he worked hard on it tonight

My trap bar from Gym Direct is able to be used both sides, high handle or bar level handle, and it was $250 delivered to Perth. ABC want $450 for their high handle trap bar. Whats unique about the design?

The boys I coach at Basketball won the U/18 A Grade Grand Final today at Dandenong.

Its the 10th Grand Final I've coached in, and the 10th win. Its the first time we have had to come from behind, around 6 points down with 5 minutes to go, we won 54-50.

Three of the boys train at PTC, Jesse, Nathan and Mick

My trap bar from Gym Direct is able to be used both sides, high handle or bar level handle, and it was $250 delivered to Perth. ABC want $450 for their high handle trap bar. Whats unique about the design?

here is a pic from the PTC 2.0 thread..
post-13047-12878302275527_thumb.jpg

you can see the trap bar and how it would NOT work upside down.

Yer I noticed that pic, it does look like a unique design, but it now limits the use of a lower grip position, and the bar is double the price.